Choose an Amp for my Senn 650s
Apr 24, 2008 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

GordonFreeman

Banned
I have narrowed down my choices and I want everyone on Head-Fi to choose for me. I listen to Jazz and Blues and a little Rock, mainly Jazz though. I may use the 701s as well but main concern is synergy with the Senn 650s. I like a dynamic sound with a VERY punchy bass. Bass impact is most important and a smooth sound is my second concern. I don't want anything sterile or flat sounding. I want it to be a fun sounding amp.

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have narrowed down my choices and I want everyone on Head-Fi to choose for me. I listen to Jazz and Blues and a little Rock, mainly Jazz though. I may use the 701s as well but main concern is synergy with the Senn 650s. I like a dynamic sound with a VERY punchy bass. Bass impact is most important and a smooth sound is my second concern. I don't want anything sterile or flat sounding. I want it to be a fun sounding amp.

The GS Solo will complement the darker sound of the HD650s very well - sounds great with the HD580/600s.

And... the DV332 does also.

I would guess the the WA6 + upgrades will also... but... the Solo will be easier to maintain (no tubes) - but... it sounds as if it has tubes.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 24
oh ,you have the same question with me last month of this time .but now all was solved till I use DV337.It has more dynamics, power, better bass response ,and gives an impression of being near to the musicians, the sound is warm and nice ,it gives the detail resolution to the sound.If you like JESS and Bluse,that would be your best choice.
I am so happy to get this ,and wanna to share all of you .

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 24
Doesn't Sennheiser use the GS Solo as their house amp to voice and test their phones? That would seem to make it the obvious choice.

Tim

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 24
I voted for the Raptor because it has excellent punchy and powerful bass. Tubes for the Raptor are relatively inexpensive which is a plus. The Raptor mates very well with my current headphones, HD650, Edition 9 and the K340. The K340 is one of the hardest to drive dynamic headphones and Raptor drives it extremely well (very nice highs, not bright at all and great bass). Bass with the 650 is deep and tight. I bought my 650 about 3 weeks ago and it sounds great with the Raptor. Another plus is the service from Ray Samuels. I was one of the first Raptor buyers and he has upgraded my amp twice to the latest level. Both upgrades were completed in less than 10 days and that includes the shipping time.

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't Sennheiser use the GS Solo as their house amp to voice and test their phones? That would seem to make it the obvious choice.

Tim

Yes, Sennheiser uses the Solo to demo the HD-650.

If the Raptor already has punchy, powerful bass I would think that would be the last thing you would want in an amp for the 650's. I haven't heard the Raptor, just going by that comment.

I voted for the Solo, my 580's sound pretty darn good out of the Solo. Someday I am going to upgrade to the 650's.

Also, you have 2 tube amps and 1 solid state. May be best to figure out which is most important to you and weigh the pros and cons of each.

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Sennheiser uses the Solo to demo the HD-650.

If the Raptor already has punchy, powerful bass I would think that would be the last thing you would want in an amp for the 650's. I haven't heard the Raptor, just going by that comment.

I voted for the Solo, my 580's sound pretty darn good out of the Solo. Someday I am going to upgrade to the 650's.

Also, you have 2 tube amps and 1 solid state. May be best to figure out which is most important to you and weigh the pros and cons of each.

I think im kinda leaning toward the Solo or the Raptor. I haven't read anything that really impressed me about the WA6, and tube rolling with the WA6 seems like it could be an expensive journey. I wanted a tube amp but if it functions the way I want, it doesn't really matter. I was thinking about a GS-1 but my source is neutral and I want something to add impact to the base and add a little fun to my music. So far, practicality and price kinda make me lean towards the Solo. I just have this thing in the back of my head, Am I getting as much for my money buying a British product like that? I know its stupid but for solo money the other two are in reach and certainly do win out in the sex appeal department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back