Choice in IEM's below $100( Budget now $200)
Dec 8, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #32 of 56

[size=medium]
TF10s. They are  amazing value at $100, which if you missed the amazon sale, I'm sure you can still find one selling on the forum here (just saw one yesterday for $100). No other IEMS can beat. UE's uber experienced at making IEMs. Professional artists use them. The TF10s are triple-BA drivers, replaceable cables. Name me one IEM under $200 that can even beat that. Even at street price of $150-ish these are excellent. Comparable models from Shure and Westone cost more than twice as much. 

I don't understand all those recommendations for those start-up cheap IEMs. They are cheaply made, their engineering is inexperienced, and their sound is artificial. Why do you guys keep recommending cheap single dynamic driver IEMs for $50-80 when you can have a triple BA from an established brand, for $95? I absolutely fail to see the logic here. Try and name me one professional artist that uses a RE0 on/off stage. I think not. Only cheapos who can't afford better IEMs buy those and think they are good value, when actually tariffs and exchange rate fluctuations make those Chinese imports cost at least $10-20 more than their true market value. As for Phonak, while I can't deny their virtue, they are still miles behind the TF10s in terms of their integral ability to produce sound at the highest quality. The number of drivers limit that.

Back to topic, to OP. Just get the TF10s if you have $200 to spend. They will wipe the floors with all those others. BA drivers were MADE to be in IEMs. They are accurate and tight. And there are three of them in each ear piece to produce the most neutral, balanced, detailed sound with soundstage close to a pair of closed cans. 
[/size]

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #34 of 56

Quote:

TF10s. They are  amazing value at $100, which if you missed the amazon sale, I'm sure you can still find one selling on the forum here (just saw one yesterday for $100). No other IEMS can beat. UE's uber experienced at making IEMs. Professional artists use them. The TF10s are triple-BA drivers, replaceable cables. Name me one IEM under $200 that can even beat that. Even at street price of $150-ish these are excellent. Comparable models from Shure and Westone cost more than twice as much. 

I don't understand all those recommendations for those start-up cheap IEMs. They are cheaply made, their engineering is inexperienced, and their sound is artificial. Why do you guys keep recommending cheap single dynamic driver IEMs for $50-80 when you can have a triple BA from an established brand, for $95? I absolutely fail to see the logic here. Try and name me one professional artist that uses a RE0 on/off stage. I think not. Only cheapos who can't afford better IEMs buy those and think they are good value, when actually tariffs and exchange rate fluctuations make those Chinese imports cost at least $10-20 more than their true market value. As for Phonak, while I can't deny their virtue, they are still miles behind the TF10s in terms of their integral ability to produce sound at the highest quality. The number of drivers limit that.

Back to topic, to OP. Just get the TF10s if you have $200 to spend. They will wipe the floors with all those others. BA drivers were MADE to be in IEMs. They are accurate and tight. And there are three of them in each ear piece to produce the most neutral, balanced, detailed sound with soundstage close to a pair of closed cans. 

I actually just found a pair of Kilpsch Custom 3's for $109 that i'll ask for, but as for the TF10's I'm really unsure as to what I should get. I have seen alot of good reviews on the TF10's. I've been looking at IE 6's, ER-4S', and other similar priced ones, but seeing that I can get the TF10's sort of sways my views.

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #35 of 56
Since you've upped your budget a bit, check out the Munitio bullet earphones: http://munitio.com/products-page

They are running a holiday promo code (use code "vibrato") that knocks 25% off right now.

They fit a lot of your requirements, very smooth and warm.  They do have excellent bass but it's not BOOM BOOM overwhelming type bass.  You also mentioned a durable cable -- they use a kevlar cable that is awesome, never gets tangled and very sturdy.... I'm very happy with mine, and I'm more of a "music lover" than a "bass head".

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #36 of 56

Quote:
Since you've upped your budget a bit, check out the Munitio bullet earphones: http://munitio.com/products-page

They are running a holiday promo code (use code "vibrato") that knocks 25% off right now.

They fit a lot of your requirements, very smooth and warm.  They do have excellent bass but it's not BOOM BOOM overwhelming type bass.  You also mentioned a durable cable -- they use a kevlar cable that is awesome, never gets tangled and very sturdy.... I'm very happy with mine, and I'm more of a "music lover" than a "bass head".

It isn't only that I've upped it, I have two separate budget's I can run on, but I sadly, can not combine. Both of which, will be Christmas presents. I have seen a lot of good reviews for. I'm basically getting a good pair of multi-use headphones, and a good pair of just listening head phones, so the less expensive set, need to have good isolation(which I have seen the Custom 3's are said to have) but that doesn't mean the more expensive pair can't have good isolation also.

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #37 of 56
the isolation on the Munitios is great, they come with multiple different tips of different sizes, very comfortable silicone-gel type substance, so once you get the right fit the isolation is awesome.

I think it's a perfect "man gift" also, since you mentioned Christmas gifts... the packaging is really nice and feels classy, plus the build quality is very high.  You definitely don't open them up and think "hmm cheapo plastic..."

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:
[size=medium]
[/size]

UE is experienced at making stage monitors. Their universal earphone division is much younger and most professional artists don't use the universal models. Triple armatures and repleaceable cables do not automatically make something a good earphone - the tuning does that. If UE made decent cables like Westone or Audio-Technica they wouldn't need to be replaceable. I have nothing against the TF10 - I probably like it more than most on this forum - but sweeping generalizations bother me. UE can sell the TF10 cheaply at this point since it's so old and the fixed manufacturing and design costs have long since been recouped. People have been expecting UE to release a new flagship for the past two years but they've just been overpopulating the lower 2/3 of their range instead.

Quote:
I don't understand all those recommendations for those start-up cheap IEMs. They are cheaply made, their engineering is inexperienced, and their sound is artificial. 

How much of this is pure speculation? You do realize that Chinese OEMs make most of the earphones out there, correct? To the best of my memory only Westone earphones and the Ety ER-4S are actually made in the US. Almost all manufacturing and a lot of the design and engineering for other brands is done overseas and those Chinese manufacturers end up applying that experience towards their own products. Some Chinese earphones will outlast the crappy cables on the TF10s without breaking a sweat. As for artificial sound, what defines that? The TF10 is not exactly flat and doesn't have the most natural presentation even among armature IEMs so who's to say it's more natural than any of the Head-Direct or Xcape earphones? I certainly don't think so.

Quote:
Why do you guys keep recommending cheap single dynamic driver IEMs for $50-80 when you can have a triple BA from an established brand, for $95? I absolutely fail to see the logic here. Try and name me one professional artist that uses a RE0 on/off stage. I think not. Only cheapos who can't afford better IEMs buy those and think they are good value, when actually tariffs and exchange rate fluctuations make those Chinese imports cost at least $10-20 more than their true market value. As for Phonak, while I can't deny their virtue, they are still miles behind the TF10s in terms of their integral ability to produce sound at the highest quality. The number of drivers limit that.

I would like to buy a TF10 for $95 right now - can you post a link? Many people won't buy flipped TF10s off ebay for warranty reasons (we all know how reliable those UE cables are) and some can only afford $50-80 - who are you to judge? It is true that there probably aren't any professionals using the RE0 on-stage but real professionals don't use UE's universal models, either, no matter what their marketing materials would have you believe. As for pricing, are you arguing for an earphone with a $400 MSRP by claiming that other brands are overpriced? I own the TF10 and a bunch of other top-tiers and still think many of the $50-80 buds are a very good value. Chinese manufacturers cannot compete in marketing or advertising so they have to compete on price/performance ratios while UE can coast by brainwashing people into thinking that they are using the same earphone as Lady Gaga. 

Quote:

BA drivers were made to be in hearing aids. And again, the TF10 was not tuned to be neutral or balanced (and isn't). The UE700 is closer (by design) but still not quite there. Both are consumer earphones. It can be argued that having multiple drivers with crossovers introduces artifacts that are not in the original signal - the magic is again in the implementation and not inherent to the number of drivers. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #40 of 56

Quote:
What are they comparable to in sound quality?

I honestly haven't heard a lot of other IEM's like some of the experts on this forum, so I won't be much help providing a good comp.  My experience is mostly in the HT world, speakers and stuff.  I do know that the bass on the Munitio's is smooth and powerful without being boomy / bloated... but it still has a really nice, clear sound without being fatiguing.  I tend to like smooth, somewhat "warm" speakers that can still maintain good detail and clarity (e.g. not the type of "warmth" where it is actually mushy with a recessed or rolled-off treble).  The Munitio's hit the spot for me, great detail while still providing good bass, but not sibilant or harsh.

You can read the Wired review here: http://www.wired.com/reviews/2010/11/munitio_earbuds/
And another Head-Fi poster's impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518494/first-impressions-munitio-siti-nine-millimeter

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #41 of 56
I've taken a look at them and will keep an eye on them, though. If I can't find anything that I don't fits my needs until then, they will be my choice.

@ljokerl, off the 123 you have posted in your review thread, what would you recommend for under $200?

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #42 of 56

Quote:
I've taken a look at them and will keep an eye on them, though. If I can't find anything that I don't fits my needs until then, they will be my choice.

@ljokerl, off the 123 you have posted in your review thread, what would you recommend for under $200?

Personally, the DBA-02 but only if you're looking for a neutral, monitor-like sound.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #43 of 56

Quote:

Quote:

Personally, the DBA-02 but only if you're looking for a neutral, monitor-like sound.

Who/where did you buy your pair from?

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #44 of 56
Bugden Audio or GD Audiobase:

Both are on pre-order status though.

http://bugdenaudio.com/

http://gd-audiobase.com/

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #45 of 56

Quote:
Bugden Audio or GD Audiobase:

Both are on pre-order status though.

http://bugdenaudio.com/

http://gd-audiobase.com/

Alright, I've checked Budgenaudio and found them sold out there. Now to convince my mom Gd-audiobase isn't out to steal her money....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back