Chocolate
Dec 14, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #16 of 93
I'm a fan of Milka. Plus, how could you not like a purple cow?
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #17 of 93
For eating straight-up, I like Ghirardelli Mint or the Droste chocolate orange. For making Parisian-style hot chocolate (and I'm not sure there's anything better), I like Guittard. My wife and I differ as to which one: I like the 62% the best, while she prefers the 70% formulation -- which I find to be oversaturated with flavor to the point where my senses sort of shut down.

Always dark. If you ask me, "milk chocolate" == perfectly good chocolate that's been ruined by the addition of milk. (Yet I love Parisian hot chocolate*, go figure.)

[size=xx-small]*cooking tips: hand-chop the chocolate down to the size of grains of sand or better; expect to whisk it for a good 2-3 minutes and no less; and while you're heating the milk, boil a pot of water and then use the water to preheat the pitcher and mugs, emptying them an instant before pouring in the hot chocolate and serving.[/size]

Dec 14, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #18 of 93
Lindt makes some of the better commercial chocolate that i've had, but it's still a bit bitter. Hershey's is awful.

Dec 14, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #19 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
i love chocolate of every kind. give me anything and i'll eat it. but i just love dark chocolate!

Ditto, give me anything that is covered or coated in chocolate and I won't hesitate to consume it. The best chocolate I've had the opportunity to consume so far is made by Swiss chocolate confectioner Laderach

http://www.laederach.ch/indexin_e.htm

Although it's the best chocolate I've ever eaten is is quite expensive, some of the individual pieces go for about $7.50 each or $45 a pound.
eek.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 8:06 AM Post #21 of 93
I forget which city it was in, but recently, I was either in the financial district of Boston or Manhattan and there was some crazy chocolate shop there where the little dinky bags of chocolate products were like $100+ a pop. I didn't even really stop to get a good look at them when I saw the prices.

Dec 14, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #22 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
BTW, is there a bad chocolate?

Yup, xylitol chocolate. It's supposed to be healthier than the ordinary sugar sweetened chocolate but it tastes horrid. Anyway xylitol should be used only in chewing gum. It is not a proper sweetener.

My favorite? The Finnish Fazer brand of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #25 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane
Once you've had European chocolate you will never again go back to domestic. Swiss and German are good, but chocolate from Holland is absolutely THE best.

Which ones from Holland do you like?

I love Côte d'Or and Milka.

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #27 of 93
My everyday needs chocolate is usually Lindt, the one in the white package - it is 70%, it is made in Switzerland.

My all time fave is from Venezuela, and it co$t$...so I only get some three times a year, and I hide it....

In a pinch, nearly any semi-dark will do, Swiss, Belgian, Dutch, even Hershey's.

I learned how to make Chocolate from the bean pod to the finished product from a dear friend, a Granadan, George Peters...he opened my eyes about spices - after all, his home is in the Spice Islands - MY - O - MY!!!!

Dec 14, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #28 of 93
Chocolat..............

Every weeks when I go to my CD shop to keep my audio addiction alive I have to face this right in front of my favorite boutique:
http://www.chocomusee.com/

So there is time when the $ spent in CDs are not so bad when I compare to the chocolate bill......

Amicalement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back