Chocolate
Dec 14, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #31 of 93
I'm surprised hat none of the european members have mentioned Callebaut, even though they concentrate on the commercial end of the business.
A local supermarket used to sell large chunks of the 10 lb commercial blocks and got me hooked years ago. Now I have to buy the block myself, and hope that I have the self control to give most of it away! Incredible stuff.
icon10.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #34 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
BTW, is there a bad chocolate?

Tons. Ferrero rocher is an example striking me. Try german or polish too. That's very bad.

Coming to good chocolate. One first has to realize that most smaller shops of very good chocolate pralines are just working with an already refined chocolate. Usually (at least in Europe), it is provided by Callebaut. Godiva is probably the safest bet when it comes to commercial stuff. But I'm lucky enough to live in a city in Belgium where there's the shop of J.P. Darcis. Best chocolate maker of Belgium, won many titles around the world, including in 2002 the gold medal for chocolate pieces at the Las Vegas championship. Now we're speaking good chocolate
smily_headphones1.gif
He's also one of the very few man able to do some good "misérable". But I disgress. Prices are fair. Certainly far less expensive that many similar things I could find in Boulder or Denver. Sadly, the Godiva shop in my city closed.

When it comes to "simple" chocolate, the stuff you can find in supermarket, there's no competition for me. Cote d'Or all the way. Dark + nuts or simple extra dark in thick bars. To be fair, Lindt has also some nice things in the excellence line but those are expensive.

I'm currently eating some Lindt, that's the only decent thing one can find easily in Poland. Black chocolate, orange and almonds. Pretty good
600smile.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #35 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I am not a chocolate connoisseur, but I do like it. Give me a Hershey bar, some See's Nuts and Chews, or a bag of M&M's and I'm good to go.

BTW, is there a bad chocolate?

Yes, their is bad chocolate, it's called Hershey's. That stuff is terrible compared to the good chocolate. If you ever try a Chocolate bar called "ION," it's Greek chocolate, that stuff will make you think twice about eating the garbage they sell in your local candy store.

Although, i do love Nutrageous, it's the perfect blend of chocolate, peanuts, caramel and whatever else that's hidden in their

Dec 14, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #36 of 93
Some time ago Clark Johnsen, from Positive Feedback and his store The Listening Studio, did an article on some "high end" chocolates.

Two that he mentioned I was able to try, and they were awesome:

Valhrona (from France) and Hawaiian (forgot exact brand, but they were made in Hawaii). My in-laws had a dream to take their entire family to Hawaii, where they spent their honeymoon. When they could afford it, they did. About 4 1/2 years ago, they treated us (their three daughters and families) to a 10-day Hawaii vacation.

As part of a nice thank-you, I found the Valhrona chocolates and got a sampler of milk and dark. My wife and I also found a local Kona store that sold the Hawaiian chocolate.

After a particularly lovely dinner overlooking the Pacific at sunset, we all shared the goodies, and it was hilarious hearing the groans of pleasure!!
icon10.gif

Anyways, I haven't tried either since, but based on my memory, it was even better than many I've heard of and tried that were mentioned here.

Oh, and BTW, my wife loves Teuschler (sp?) Champagne Truffles (Swiss) as well. I picked some up when I was in the airport in Switzerland on a biz trip, and I liked them, but didn't love them. they were VERY rich, but they weren't my particular cup of chocloate tea. Still, she and her whole family love them.

Dang....I'm hungry!
tongue.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #37 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
tim tams

OLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh and the best way to eat it is to bite little bits of either ends and suck some hot coffee/tea through it. it just melts after that. wonderful stuff..

As for other stuff, I much prefer chocolate cakes than chocolate straight. A place called Muratti's in Adelaide makes these beautiful Cointreau cakes where they use 7 different types of chocolate. I have bought so many by now that the owner gives me a free jumbo slice of the stuff eat right then and there. Hmmmmmm..................Now I have to go and eat that stuff again tommorow.

Also try Couverture, it is a cooking chocolate but costs more than most normal stuff you can find even in chocolate speciality shops. I buy it for muffins and in the end just eat it as it is, not bad either.
As for chocolates strictly, Willy Wonka's Mud Sludge is super as is some of the chilli chocolates here in Adelaide from Haighs.

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #38 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
My everyday needs chocolate is usually Lindt, the one in the white package - it is 70%, it is made in Switzerland.

Are you sure? I believe Lindt also has manufacturing in the U.S. Vermont or New Hampshire, I think.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #39 of 93
First, for me milk chocolate does not have enough chocolate in it to satisfy my cravings. It has way too much sugar! Just for munching, I love semisweet (60-65% cacao) or bittersweet (70% cacao). Unsweetened (99% cacao) is, for me, strictly an ingredient for cooking and baking.

My favorite chocolates are probably the Belgian chocolates (Neuhaus and Belgian Godiva -- completely different from American Godiva) for filled chocolates and Scharffenberger chocolate from California (the best American choclatier, bar none). I also like Luxor crujiente from Spain and El Universo from South America, especially their varietals.

Ofcourse, there are also Valrhona, Callebaut and other noted choclatiers from Europe. But their product is not better than Scharffenberger, and so I have been using that for my baked goods, mousses, etc.

For hot chocolate, I chop some bittersweet Scharffenberger. Add some cane sugar to milk, heat the milk till the sugar dissolves and then slowly add the chopped chocolate, whisking until it is completely dissolved and the mixture is foamy. Absolute heaven on a cold day! Serve in small cups. Garnish with schlag (heavy whipped cream, German style) or gourmet marshmallows (no Kraft for this) or serve with pan de yuca, and you have the most amazing snack.

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #40 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
Oh, and BTW, my wife loves Teuschler (sp?) Champagne Truffles (Swiss) as well.

Dang....I'm hungry!
tongue.gif

Thanks for reminding me! TEUSCHER truffles from Switzerland are excellent, too!

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #41 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Are you sure? I believe Lindt also has manufacturing in the U.S. Vermont or New Hampshire, I think.
evil_smiley.gif

The one I've here was done in France. The company is Swiss but has manufacturing plants all over Europe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
...Neuhaus and Belgian Godiva -- completely different from American Godiva...

Considering the outrageous price they charge for it in the States, that's a shame
eek.gif

I just realized I let aside Galler. Galler has pralines that aren't so wonderful (too rich for me) but they have some bars very, very nice. The bar "praliné fondant" is something to die for.

galler-70_dark_praline.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #43 of 93
Yep - VIATOR - the one I like is the Lindt that is sold here with the 70% Cocoa, in the white package, made in Switzerland... I do not like the 90% made in France...

I also am indebted to "Abuelita" (little granny, in spanish?) brand Mexican Chocolate, that includes raw sugar, cinnamon, maybe some cardamom and vanilla, all real not artificial , in a huge tablet that is broken/mixed into hot milk....MMMMMMM!! I would not make it through the winter without it!

Dec 14, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #44 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
First, for me milk chocolate does not have enough chocolate in it to satisfy my cravings. It has way too much sugar! Just for munching, I love semisweet (60-65% cacao) or bittersweet (70% cacao). Unsweetened (99% cacao) is, for me, strictly an ingredient for cooking and baking.

My favorite chocolates are probably the Belgian chocolates (Neuhaus and Belgian Godiva -- completely different from American Godiva) for filled chocolates and Scharffenberger chocolate from California (the best American choclatier, bar none). I also like Luxor crujiente from Spain and El Universo from South America, especially their varietals.

Ofcourse, there are also Valrhona, Callebaut and other noted choclatiers from Europe. But their product is not better than Scharffenberger, and so I have been using that for my baked goods, mousses, etc.

For hot chocolate, I chop some bittersweet Scharffenberger. Add some cane sugar to milk, heat the milk till the sugar dissolves and then slowly add the chopped chocolate, whisking until it is completely dissolved and the mixture is foamy. Absolute heaven on a cold day! Serve in small cups. Garnish with schlag (heavy whipped cream, German style) or gourmet marshmallows (no Kraft for this) or serve with pan de yuca, and you have the most amazing snack.

Mmmmmm....Bunnyears, since you are already married (and so am I), I will not out and out propose to you
icon10.gif

But how do you feel about adopting a sometimes-wise, sometimes-immature 40 year old ?!

Your hot chocolate recipe sounds quite awesome! It's copied and pasted already!

Thanks for the recipe, and the Teuscher correction....

T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back