Chocolate
Dec 14, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #47 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
Some time ago Clark Johnsen, from Positive Feedback and his store The Listening Studio, did an article on some "high end" chocolates.

Two that he mentioned I was able to try, and they were awesome:

Valhrona (from France) and Hawaiian (forgot exact brand, but they were made in Hawaii). My in-laws had a dream to take their entire family to Hawaii, where they spent their honeymoon. When they could afford it, they did. About 4 1/2 years ago, they treated us (their three daughters and families) to a 10-day Hawaii vacation.

As part of a nice thank-you, I found the Valhrona chocolates and got a sampler of milk and dark. My wife and I also found a local Kona store that sold the Hawaiian chocolate.

After a particularly lovely dinner overlooking the Pacific at sunset, we all shared the goodies, and it was hilarious hearing the groans of pleasure!!
icon10.gif

Anyways, I haven't tried either since, but based on my memory, it was even better than many I've heard of and tried that were mentioned here.

Oh, and BTW, my wife loves Teuschler (sp?) Champagne Truffles (Swiss) as well. I picked some up when I was in the airport in Switzerland on a biz trip, and I liked them, but didn't love them. they were VERY rich, but they weren't my particular cup of chocloate tea. Still, she and her whole family love them.

Dang....I'm hungry!
tongue.gif

Could this be the Hawaiian chocolate you were talking about?

http://www.originalhawaiianchocolate...com/aloha.html

If it is indeed it is the best chocolate made here in Hawaii, like Kona coffee that is grown on the Big Island of Hawaii in volcanic soil it has a rich and distinctive taste.

Dec 14, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #48 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
For hot chocolate, I chop some bittersweet Scharffenberger. Add some cane sugar to milk, heat the milk till the sugar dissolves and then slowly add the chopped chocolate, whisking until it is completely dissolved and the mixture is foamy. Absolute heaven on a cold day! Serve in small cups. Garnish with schlag (heavy whipped cream, German style) or gourmet marshmallows (no Kraft for this) or serve with pan de yuca, and you have the most amazing snack.

Bunnyears, that is the most insane recipe for hot chocolate I've ever seen. Sounds delicious. I have to agree that Scharffenberger is the best American chocolate.

I also really like the Vahlrona varieties from France. Both Vahlrona and Scharffenberger are really expensive (Scharffenberger is $4.50 for an 80 gram bar in Philly) so my staple is the Lindt Classic Dark.

For anyone that shops at Trader Joes, the store brand Swiss dark chocolate is pretty good and much cheaper than the Lindt.

Dec 14, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #49 of 93
My thoughts on chocolate.

Feodora uses a lengthy conching process that results in very smooth chocolate. Try it.

Ghirardelli makes good chocolate, far better than other American mass manufacturers.

Hersheys is crap. With probably less than 30% cacao solids, and the rest being sugar, milk, and other gunk, this is probably the worst chocolate you can buy. Unfortunately, the USA definetely has a preference for the sugary crap.

A great bar of chocolate has a high gloss and a dark color, which can be indicative of the amount of cacao solids and butter used.

Dec 14, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #50 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Best I've had so far was Green & Blacks, which I found at a local health food mart. Quite pricey, about $4 a bar, but oh so good. I got the 95% cocoa (doesn't show up on their page, but it does exist) dark chocolate
evil_smiley.gif
Essentially cocoa powder and butter with just enough sugar mixed in to make it slide down.

If a chocolate bars containing 95% cacoa exist at $4 that is a very good deal. Is that stuff even edible? I dunno..

Dec 14, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #52 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000
My thoughts on chocolate.

Feodora uses a lengthy conching process that results in very smooth chocolate. Try it.

Ghirardelli makes good chocolate, far better than other American mass manufacturers.

Hersheys is crap. With probably less than 30% cacao solids, and the rest being sugar, milk, and other gunk, this is probably the worst chocolate you can buy. Unfortunately, the USA definetely has a preference for the sugary crap.

A great bar of chocolate has a high gloss and a dark color, which can be indicative of the amount of cacao solids and butter used.

You ought to try Scharffenberger. it makes ghirardelli taste like hershey's in comparison.

The gloss you are referring to is the result of the tempering process, which I am happy to say is not as difficult as I thought it would be. Tempered chocolate is properly referred to as a "couverture." The color, on the other hand does indicate the lack of milk solids, vanilla and sugar. That said, just comparing samples of chocolate in my kitchen, (I have on hand Ecuador Guaranda (arriba bean), Venezuelan Ocumare (probably criollo), scharffenberger bittersweet, semisweet and unsweetened (blended beans from various sources including Trinidad), and some valrhona semisweet chips) the darkest are the chocolates that have the highest percentage of cacao, ie: scharffenberger unsweetened is the darkest, then the bittersweet, and last the semisweet. That said, the Ecuador guaranda (which is only semi sweet or bittersweet at the most) is still the darkest chocolate of all the varieties on hand.

Also, please note, when you see the term butter in a chocolate bar, I hope it is referring only to cocoa butter solids, not milk butter (which can transmit an off flavor). Another additive is lecithin which is added as a "natural" preservative and emusifier (improves texture).

Dec 14, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #53 of 93
Thanks for the explanations. I really do try hard to find good chocolate, but right now I don't have anything. In fact, all this chocolate talk is literally making me salivate. I think I'd better pick up a Snickers bar or anything. Ciao.

Dec 14, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #54 of 93
I have a weakness for chocolate.

I've been liking darker chocolate more lately.

My absolute favorite chocolate are the "chips" in Graeter's Ice Cream.

Regular chocolate? I like Lindt.

I like chocolate more than I should......
tongue.gif

-Ed

Dec 14, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #55 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
You ought to try Scharffenberger. it makes ghirardelli taste like hershey's in comparison.

Scharffenberger was too "fruity" tasting for my tastes. Perhaps that is what purer cocoa tastes like, I guess.

-Ed

Dec 14, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #56 of 93
Valhrona and Yoku-Moku (very light, crisp cookies covered in a thin coating of milk chocolate from Japan).

Dec 15, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #57 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
I came back from San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, and I've had Ghiradelli Chocolate on my mind. I've had all to do to not eat my sister's Christmas presents!

What's your favorite?

Andes
Droste
Dagoba Organic Chocolate
Ethel M
Ganache Chocolates
Ghiradelli
Godiva
Guylian
Hershey
Lindt
La Maison du Chocolat
Russel Stover
See's
Other

Those don't hold a candle to German chocolate. :p. Reber Mozart Kugeln(truffels) are awesome. Mon cheri(not that crap you get here with a hazelnut) with rum and a cherry is quite delicious too. Then there's the whole Chocolate with brandy inside(the chocolate is hollow with a sugar crust in the middle so the brandy won't react with the chocolate).

Can't forget Erfrischungs Staebchen(translates to refreshment sticks). Those are sticks of hollow chocolate, again with a sugar crust inside, filled with non-alcoholic orange or lemon liquor. They also have ones filled with cherries.

For the people in the states(me included...haven't been back to the motherland in over 14 years), try to find some Asbach Uralt(those are brandy filled). If you look hard enough, you may find Reber Mozart Kugeln in some European or Bosnian markets.

Efrischungs Staebchen you will not find stateside.

I order my chocolate through http://www.germandeli.com

Mon cheri
Asbach Uralt
Erfrischungs Staebchen

BONUS: Everyone should buy these for their kids. The chocolate is awesome. The toys are neat too. I remember getting these as a kid.
Ueberraschungs Ei

Also, you have to try these gummis.
gummi cola bottles
sour gummi cola bottles

Dec 15, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #58 of 93
Wow, I didn't know cote d'or made chocolate bars! I always only at their ice cream which was fantastic.

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #59 of 93
Neuhaus makes awesome chocolate cordials, too. They have one filled with J&B which is the only way I drink that scotch!
tongue.gif

La Maison du Chocolat has wonderful chocolate covered cherries in kirsch, but you have to watch out, they include the stone.
cool.gif

They also have strangely delicious flavored chocolates!

But the king of chocolate in New York City is Jacques Torres, maître confiseur
and here is his palette de chocolat

jt1a07_painted_palette_e.jpg

Everything in the picture is constructed of chocolate!

Dec 15, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #60 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Wow, I didn't know cote d'or made chocolate bars! I always only at their ice cream which was fantastic.

I didn't know Cote d'Or made ice cream actually
tongue.gif

Over here, common ice creams are Carte d'Or, Haagen Daz and Ijsboerke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back