Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 14, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #15,961 of 33,689
Living here on a chalk cliff, I know all too well about that. I never put an iem in the wash, but limescale residue here is a problem on everything. I use citric acid powder for descaling kettles etc... but would not suggest that for an iem:)

If all else fails, as a last resort only. :wink:

Jun 14, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #15,962 of 33,689
Someone posted in another thread that the Tin Audio is $35 in the aliexpress sale today. Maybe good to have a backup pair if you love them so much...

I found them, I must've not searched correctly earlier cuz I was only seeing $50 T2.

Keep in mind that scale residues won't redissolve well or at all in water once dried. :wink:

Living here on a chalk cliff, I know all too well about that. I never put an iem in the wash, but limescale residue here is a problem on everything. I use citric acid powder for descaling kettles etc... but would not suggest that for an iem:)

Limescale is in your tap water not in your detergent.

He probably has better water than we do here in the UK. The water here has wrecked my hair and skin.

I will remember this conversation if we ever accidentally put an iem through the wash. I try to be really careful... double checking all pockets before starting the machine. But then, I have never stuffed an iem into my pocket. Not sure if my husband has... I sometimes find coins...

I should probably mention, that I have a pretty good water softener in my house and kept aquariums for a while, so I have pretty good confidence on the hardness and stuff of my tap.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #15,965 of 33,689
I should probably mention, that I have a pretty good water softener in my house and kept aquariums for a while, so I have pretty good confidence on the hardness and stuff of my tap.

You'll have sodium carbonate instead of calcium carbonate in your water then but deposits of it will redissolve rather easily if it still doesn't sound good after drying.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #15,966 of 33,689
Anyone seeing any good deals on Aliexpres today? I see the T2 mentioned above. I did some searching and didnt see anythign too special.

Seen some KZ ES4 at a good price too.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #15,968 of 33,689
You'll have sodium carbonate instead of calcium carbonate in your water then but deposits of it will redissolve rather easily if it still doesn't sound good after drying.

I think I just fixed it. I opened the shell and wiped everything down. I made some gouges and scratches on the shell taking it apart, but after I got them back together, it's working fine again. I wonder if some moisture was still in there and got some grounding/shorting issues.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #15,969 of 33,689
I think I just fixed it. I opened the shell and wiped everything down. I made some gouges and scratches on the shell taking it apart, but after I got them back together, it's working fine again. I wonder if some moisture was still in there and got some grounding/shorting issues.

Will you share how/where you got the shell opened? I've tried on mine, but never could get them opened up.

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #15,970 of 33,689
It was done while at work, so I didn't really have any ideal tools and I figured this was a throw-away item now and didn't care if it really got messed up.

Here's what I did:

Slight twist while prying up at point marked B. You can see the corresponding gouge on point marked A. I didn't pay attention on the clocking when I put it back together so it's "off-centered."

I just used the corner of a metal ruler I had to pry it open. Once there was a slight give/gap, I went around the circumference to pry it open. You'll be behind the diaphragm once opened and can pull the diaphragm off of a foam O-ring type of thingy.

bMFm8rY.jpg

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #15,972 of 33,689
guys some sad news. I accidentally left my Tin Audio T2s in my pocket and put them through the wash and dryer. They don't sound right. The right side seems much louder now than the left. :disappointed::disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

I'm not sure if this is salvageable?

Otherwise, if there's someone that is less than impressed with theirs or don't like it, I might be interested. Prices seem to have climbed since I got mine.
I recently washed my apple EarPods...sounded bassless right out of the washer. The rice trick worked: 48 hrs later, they worked again and also had a nice sushi smell.

On the other hand, cheap iems with too much bass may be improved by a stone wash.

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #15,973 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back