Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
May 29, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #15,706 of 33,689
MMCX cable issues

Received a batch of MMCX cables I have problems detaching them from my earphones. One I ripped apart and the other is stuck on my Tinaudio T2. Is there a trick to detach stubborn MMCX cables without damaging the contacts in the earpieces?

Yeah, I had a set on the T2 that was insane to remove.

Perhaps since Tin Audio had issues with the T2 being loose on some units, they tightened the heck out of them so there was no chance of them being loose. But in the process they made them overly tight. Who knows.

My only advice is pull by the molded plug and not by the cable.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #15,707 of 33,689
MMCX cable issues

Received a batch of MMCX cables I have problems detaching them from my earphones. One I ripped apart and the other is stuck on my Tinaudio T2. Is there a trick to detach stubborn MMCX cables without damaging the contacts in the earpieces?

So glad that KZ chose to stick with 2-pin cables.

My spending habits have changed because hyper budget chi-fi is stagnant, recent buys from brands other than KZ have been disappointments........

KZ which is a brand I will continue to buy products from because I like them. As long as they keep improving like they have, I'll stick with em.

This is pretty much where I am. Some brands that I thought would do well (VJJB, Tennmak and UiiSii) just seem to be hanging on.

The VJJB K4, despite it's slightly emphasized mid-bass, was $20 that I was happy to part with. I dislike mic'd cables but I liked the K4 so much that I picked up a second one in that dark ash finish.
Same goes for VJJB's $6 K2 (micro-driver); money well spent with few disappointments. That said, I really haven't seen anything interesting from VJJB lately.

I think the reason KZ gets so much of my attention is because they seem to keep things moving forward. I think I've said it before but many of the budget brands discussed on this thread seem to have a one-hit-wonder or two.:

EMI (CI-880)
DZAT
ADAX (HT06)
Urbanfun (Hybrid)
Winintone (EB 601, EB-220)
Sendiy
BossHiFi
MEMT
Others that can't be discussed
etcetera
etcetera
etcetera

Then there is KZ who outpaces all of the above combined.........and it's usually wallet-friendly.

And yes, I consider the ZS6 to be wallet friendly.

In the last three years and twenty-some-odd models I think that KZ only misstepped twice (ED12 & HDSE).

My gut told me that the HDSE would probably be deplorable so I never really gave it a second look. The ED12? I bought two and while they were quite odd I won't say that I necessarily regret the purchase. Gave a set to a friend who loves hip-hop and I still have a pair that I can transplant drivers into (maybe the drivers from a defunct set of original SoundMAGIC ES18 - not the crap ES18 they're selling now).

2012 Head-Fi impression on the ES18(i).

Build quality : so-so,cant compain for this price (3/5)

Accessories : The usual 3 pair of tips,but soundMAGIC were generous enough to provide a soft pouch (3/5)

Comfort/Isolation : Decent Comfort.With better tips they'll feel more comfortable.These phones provide good isolation,save for louder noises like car horns you wont hear any other noise. (3.5/5)

Sound Quality : These phones have a warm signature and an engaging sound.Mids are where these gems shine,has a natural sound with lush vocals.Bass has good body and texture,ample quantity but might get overpowering sometimes.Treble falls little short for that sparkle but its excellent none the less.Excellent detail for its price.Throw any genre of music and these would play effortlessly.(4/5)

Conclusion : If you listen to bollywood and pop music then These phones are excellent for you.Don't get me wrong these are excellent phones,but if you listen to rock or metal then these wont provide that guitar crunch and might get overwhelmed by some complex songs .But these phones provide good SQ for its price.Overall i'll give it a solid 4/5

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/review-soundmagic-es18-measured.598627/

I'd like to see see a healthy dose of competition in the budget-friendly segment for KZ but we may just continue to see short spurts of genius here and there with zero staying power.

.......which is fine for now because KZ has a host of new models for me to sample and I'm sure a handful of them will be well worth the $20+/- I'll pay for them.

This begs to rephrase my original question somewhat: with an ever growing selection of earphones, which ones are actually everybody's daily drivers? I know a guy uses his 20-year old Etymotics above his much more expensive custom monitors. I love the Focal Sphear above everything - and for no rational reason. Some of us love the simple early KZs. Time is probably the true test.

Daily Drivers change every few weeks:

KZ ZSR
BossHiFi S1
KZ ZS6
KZ ED8
KZ ED10
BossHiFi B3

and my Frankenstein's (Winintone EB220 with ED9 filters and Whirlwind eartips)

Screenshot_2018-05-28-23-43-17.png

41CEbPoGGkL.jpg

71smf67aPXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

May 29, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #15,709 of 33,689
MMCX cable issues

try slipping your fingernail in the contact gap while pulling

May 29, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #15,710 of 33,689
Construction flaw? Speakers on the outside while the inside eats your hair and causes freckles on your forehead?

LOL

That photo is of the old Jecklin Float. Somewhere on headfi is a thread dedicated to ugly headphones but I can't find it.

Other headphones like the Koss PortaPro and the HIfiman 400i have eaten my hair but not my trusty Precide... the sound is as open and speaker like as you can get in a headphone.

If you think that is extreme, what about this...and upside down Jecklin? Definitely the opposite of an IEM!

Sennheiser+surrounder+not+an+unheard+of+concept+_64e3830378e7f04f38c1ad7c56113fd5.jpeg

May 29, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #15,711 of 33,689
es, and from my experience, the best suited gear for mobility, compactness, and healthy relationships with spouse and kids are: Earbuds (add bluetooth cables for better effect). that's why i love mmcx earbuds and have them with bluetooth cable and placing them at strategic places around the house. when i'm working and know i won't be bothered, i switched to cabled iems or earbuds.

Yes, I agree...and yet there is still the issue of "but I was enjoying that song." In my case If I start an album I want to finish it!

I definitely choose buds if I am expecting a delivery (of more buds?) so I will not miss the doorbell. I don't really like the isolation aspect of IEMs but I do love the sound of many of mine. Very easy to get lost in the music.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #15,712 of 33,689
Did you consider a 50/75/100 ohm adapter (e.g. from Penon Audio for ~$8) and some Sennheiser earbuds, possibly for $25 from eBay?
Below is my ear bud collection and the Senns are substantially better than the others.

Joyroom JR-EL117 1200 mm Driver
JOYROOM JR-EL123
Langsdom F9
Sennheiser OMX-185
Sennheiser MX-560
Headroom MS16
VE Monk Plus

UPDATE: I got a 75 ohm adapter to calm down the treble of the ZS6.
i'll try one, though my concern is that using an impedance adapter will change the sonic character of the iem, not necessarily for the better + i was trying for portability's sake to get away from carrying around more crap..for $8 it's worth a whirl, tho

May 29, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #15,714 of 33,689
I definitly choose buds if I am expecting a delivery (of more buds?) so I will not miss the doorbell

This is so relatable :k701smile:

i'll try one, though my concern is that using an impedance adapter will change the sonic character of the iem, not necessarily for the better + i was trying for portability's sake to get away from carrying around more crap..for $8 it's worth a whirl, tho

usually with impedance adapter, it will soften up overall attack of the sound and soften the treble (for dynamic drivers) and make them brighter and sometimes make them splashy(for BAs). haven't try them with multiple mix drivers, but i suspect it will throw of the balance and overall sound signature {for better or for worse)

May 29, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #15,715 of 33,689
Typically, the adapter would only affect the FR response of (most) multidrivers but not of single drivers. The impedance profile of most single-drivers is totally flat.

"...More or less impedance - if the impedance of the In-Ears is not flat, a cable with a different impedance of the original cable (or an impedance adapter) changes the sound. How and to what extent depends on the individual impedance path of the in-ear..."

For example, the Sennheiser ie800 has a flat impedance profile.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #15,716 of 33,689

Perhaps since Tin Audio had issues with the T2 being loose on some units, they tightened the heck out of them so there was no chance of them being loose. But in the process they made them overly tight. Who knows.

Shall I consult my dentist?

May 29, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #15,718 of 33,689

Slater
were you able to fix that TIN T2 I sent you?
be interested to find out what was wrong with it.

I picked up an 8 core junkosha MMCX cable from VE but I couldn't get the cables off my T2. I thought that maybe they just weren't removable and stopped.
I tried them on the Campfire Comets but they were too heavy for those IEMs. They need lighter cables like the stock ones.

May 29, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #15,719 of 33,689
Slater
were you able to fix that TIN T2 I sent you?
be interested to find out what was wrong with it.

I picked up an 8 core junkosha MMCX cable from VE but I couldn't get the cables off my T2. I thought that maybe they just weren't removable and stopped.
I tried them on the Campfire Comets but they were too heavy for those IEMs. They need lighter cables like the stock ones.
I have been collecting good advices since yesterday. Here the suggestions:

1. Metal ruler in between contact (leverage effect)
2. Flat screwdriver, fingernail, or knife...essentially same as 1...but adding hope that nothing breaks
3. I removed my broken off stump with pliers...the rustic solution
4. Time and patience
5. Don't remove cable unless it is an emergency
6. Still waiting for a specific answer from Tinaudio via their Facebook page
7. Don't pull on cable!

I was throwing in another order and asked the seller to split the cost of the broken one (as I ripped it apart..but it was too tight on an earphone I cannot mention here).

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #15,720 of 33,689
I have been collecting good advices since yesterday. Here the suggestions:

1. Metal ruler in between contact (leverage effect)
2. Flat screwdriver or knife...essentially same as 1...but adding hope that nothing breaks
3. I removed my broken off stump with pliers...the rustic solution
4. Time and patience
5. Don't remove cable unless it is an emergency
6. Still waiting for a specific answer from Tinaudio via their Facebook page

I was throwing in another order and asked the seller to split the cost of the broken one (as I ripped it apart..but it was too tight on an earphone I cannot mention here).

Honestly, I used my premolar teeth to hold the clear shoulder of the T2 plug on the 1 super stubborn one, and gently pulled the IEM off with my fingers.

I didn’t mention it before because some people get all up in arms about using teeth for stuff (and normally I don’t).

1. I was only holding it in my teeth (ie using my teeth as a vice).
2. It’s made of rubbery plastic, so it’s quite soft. I used about the same pressure as biting down on an almond.
3. I don’t have dental work like veneers, dentures, bridges, implants, wooden teeth, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back