Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
May 28, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #15,691 of 33,689
My first iem was custom and over £800, then I got into headphones, the most expensive I own was £1500. Then I discovered Chi-Fi the most I have paid on that is £250. I also love earbuds but have not reached those heights quite yet

May 28, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #15,692 of 33,689
My spending habits have changed because hyper budget chi-fi is stagnant, recent buys from brands other than KZ have been disappointments, and that's where I like to spend my money in most cases. My tastes and expectations have also been raised thanks to Brainwavz and the B400. Has nothing to do with KZ which is a brand I will continue to buy products from because I like them. As long as they keep improving like they have, I'll stick with em.
Yeah, I am still struggling whether I should pull the trigger on one of their higher models: B200 or B400. I know you like the warmer B400, others like the leaner B200, I like having money right now (Calgary recession). Both are probably well worth it.

This begs to rephrase my original question somewhat: with an ever growing selection of earphones, which ones are actually everybody's daily drivers? I know a guy uses his 20-year old Etymotics above his much more expensive custom monitors. I love the Focal Sphear above everything - and for no rational reason. Some of us love the simple early KZs. Time is probably the true test.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #15,693 of 33,689
Yeah, I am still struggling whether I should pull the trigger on one of their higher models: B200 or B400. I know you like the warmer B400, others like the leaner B200, I like having money right now (Calgary recession). Both are probably well worth it.

This begs to rephrase my original question somewhat: with an ever growing selection of earphones, which ones are actually everybody's daily drivers? I know a guy uses his 20-year old Etymotics above his much more expensive custom monitors. I love the Focal Sphear above everything - and for no rational reason. Some of us love the simple early KZs. Time is probably the true test.

In that case, what time I spend listening to stuff I want vs. need to listen to (for reviews), recently it's been generally spent with the B400, ZS10, thinksound On2, and HE 150Pro or Kinera bud. That said, I'll also dig through the collection to find a classic like the FXT90 or Micro Ring and give them a night of listening, or pull out the Susvara or RE2000 when I'm in the mood for something special. I'll get bored of an earphone if I use it too often, no matter how much I enjoy it, which is why my collection was 70 or 80 earphones strong before I ever started reviewing. Thank you AliExpress and local big box stores for your assistance in feeding my addiction :D

May 28, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #15,694 of 33,689
Relationship Status and Earphone Selection

I know it is getting a bit quirky but having a partner or living alone surely must have a bearing on one's listening habits. First, you have more time when you are alone. Second, if you like wearing earphones in bed and they bleed sound - you better are single, or you will be sooner than later. Third, if you have kids, this may also limit your time and fourth, when the kids have grown up and left the nest you are back at point two.

We do have a husband/wife team on this discussion list who are separated by a common language. They surely must have some bluetooth devices for communication :wink:.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #15,695 of 33,689
I'm actually forever pulling off/out headphones or iems due to communication demands :)

May 28, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #15,697 of 33,689
I saw that... while wearing iems...
I remember you showing a photo of a headphone that looked like the love child between a drying hood and a Dyson hand dryer.

Well not quite like this...

best-hard-hat-bonnet-hood-dryer.jpg

Ha: got the spoiler integrated! Success!

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #15,698 of 33,689
I remember you showing a photo of a headphone that looked like the love child between a drying hood and a Dyson hand dryer

My Precide Ergo 2. The total opposite of an IEM. Someday I will post a photo of me weraing them...maybe...

May 28, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #15,699 of 33,689
Finally! Found the right tips for my purple Hotfi HM9 6BA iems! Stock were not comfortable. Whirlwinds sounded great but the sleeve was sliding on the stem. Starlines muffled the sound a bit. Some newly arrived silicone Sony tips from aliexpress are perfect! I think we have about 50 pairs...lol. That shouljd last awhile. :)

Enjoying Eno & Cale Wrong Way Up on these.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #15,700 of 33,689
...Yes, some of you may be moving up to IEM’s of hundreds of dollars. I love the ongoing improvements in the lower budget setting and am sure it will continue to amaze. :)

Yup, today's $200 IEMs will most likely be in the $50 bracket for the same level in a few years. Just like what costs you $50 today, used to run you 3-4xs that for the same sound.

The progress of improvement has been staggering IMO...

May 28, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #15,701 of 33,689
I remember you showing a photo of a headphone that looked like the love child between a drying hood and a Dyson hand dryer.

Well not quite like this...

Ha: got the spoiler integrated! Success!

ugly headphones 2.jpg

May 28, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #15,703 of 33,689
Relationship Status and Earphone Selection

I know it is getting a bit quirky but having a partner or living alone surely must have a bearing on one's listening habits. First, you have more time when you are alone. Second, if you like wearing earphones in bed and they bleed sound - you better are single, or you will be sooner than later. Third, if you have kids, this may also limit your time and fourth, when the kids have grown up and left the nest you are back at point two.

We do have a husband/wife team on this discussion list who are separated by a common language. They surely must have some bluetooth devices for communication :wink:.

yes, and from my experience, the best suited gear for mobility, compactness, and healthy relationships with spouse and kids are: Earbuds (add bluetooth cables for better effect). that's why i love mmcx earbuds and have them with bluetooth cable and placing them at strategic places around the house. when i'm working and know i won't be bothered, i switched to cabled iems or earbuds.

he looks happy.. must be really good

May 29, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #15,705 of 33,689
I have my eye on the TFZ Queen. I hope to hear good things about it. I think it looks very elegant in the gray.

I will hear the Queen very soon. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back