Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Aug 31, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #7,096 of 7,153
I have to give a shoutout to old-school, super-affordable Chinese headphone gear...

I'm vacationing in the Canadian maritimes right now. In the interest of saving packing space, I packed just 2 items:
  • FiiO e10K DAC/headphone amp--the original model, which I purchased ~8 years ago. It was the first external device I bought in this hobby. At the start I used it exclusively with my Fidelio X2s (a happy combination)
  • Marantz MPH-2 closed-back headphones, one of the six or seven "clones" of the ISK MDH9000. I have owned 4 of these clones, and the Marantz is my favorite
The sound quality with this combo is very satisfying, both on musical and audio/obsessive grounds. I don't feel the least bit deprived or under-powered, despite the fact that I have far better equipment waiting for me back home.

It's nice to realize that audio gear I loved in years past can remain very good to listen to now...

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #7,097 of 7,153
Guys, could you help me? Already bought a Moondrop Dawn, and now I'm thinking about what headphone buy. Im tired of IEMs and I listen mainly to black metal and ambient music. I have a really hard time with high frequencies and will listen to it on the bus. I'm restricted to what ali Express offer. I'm inclined to buy the B8 Plus, philips 9500, VE Supernova or takstar PR82. What are you thoughts? Hifiman is open, so it's not a good option, right?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #7,098 of 7,153
Guys, could you help me? Already bought a Moondrop Dawn, and now I'm thinking about what headphone buy. Im tired of IEMs and I listen mainly to black metal and ambient music. I have a really hard time with high frequencies and will listen to it on the bus. I'm restricted to what ali Express offer. I'm inclined to buy the B8 Plus, philips 9500, VE Supernova or takstar PR82. What are you thoughts? Hifiman is open, so it's not a good option, right?
When you say that you have a "hard time" with high frequencies, you mean you can't handle too much treble/bright sound signatures? Do you happen to know where the problematic bits are for you? "Treble" can be perceived as low as 3khz. A lot of people can struggle with 5khz, 8khz, and/or 10khz. I only have the B8 (not the plus) and Takstar Pro82 and both of those are rather v-shaped so might have too much treble for you. Also, I believe the Philips you mentioned are open back.

Oct 2, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #7,099 of 7,153
This is what you want. It has a very merciful, musical, bass-rich sound. This is one of five or six clones of the original ISK MDH9000. This particular one is in Japan via ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284622498251

Other clones (identical in sound/design, but w/slightly different colors & branding) are the LyxPro HAS-30 and Freeboss MDH9000.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #7,100 of 7,153
This is what you want. It has a very merciful, musical, bass-rich sound. This is one of five or six clones of the original ISK MDH9000. This particular one is in Japan via ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284622498251

Other clones (identical in sound/design, but w/slightly different colors & branding) are the LyxPro HAS-30 and Freeboss MDH9000.
Doesn't ship to Brazil. I'm kinda stuck to what AliExpress sells.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #7,101 of 7,153
When you say that you have a "hard time" with high frequencies, you mean you can't handle too much treble/bright sound signatures? Do you happen to know where the problematic bits are for you? "Treble" can be perceived as low as 3khz. A lot of people can struggle with 5khz, 8khz, and/or 10khz. I only have the B8 (not the plus) and Takstar Pro82 and both of those are rather v-shaped so might have too much treble for you. Also, I believe the Philips you mentioned are open back.
I can't specify what frequencies hurt me most, but Jesus Christ, the cymbals o KZ ZS6 hurted me ears. So I think there's nothing in this price range with the specs I seek.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #7,102 of 7,153
I can't specify what frequencies hurt me most, but Jesus Christ, the cymbals o KZ ZS6 hurted me ears. So I think there's nothing in this price range with the specs I seek.
I see. The ZS6 has a really strange dip around 5-6khz which would make the elevations on either side of it (3khz and 8khz) sound worse and above that dip is right where cymbals live, so your experience makes total sense.

You might be okay with the B8 and some M50x sheepskin pads. Those pads do bring down the treble somewhat and makes them sound warmer and more mellow. I really like the combo. With the stock pads I remember feeling they were a little harsh sounding. With those pads the B8 have less treble than the Takstar for sure. Do you have any other headphone/IEM models you have heard for more points of reference, either good or bad?

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #7,104 of 7,153
Doesn't ship to Brazil. I'm kinda stuck to what AliExpress sells.
Look for ISK MDH9000, Stellar Labs HC-5985, Marantz MPH-2, Freeboss MDH9000, LyxPro HAS-30, and Neewer NW-9000 on AliExpress, or anywhere else.
They all basically the same headphones, and they all accept Brainwavz earpads for ultimate comfort.
I use Brainwavz sheepskin earpads, but there are plenty of others to choose from.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #7,105 of 7,153
Look for ISK MDH9000, Stellar Labs HC-5985, Marantz MPH-2, Freeboss MDH9000, LyxPro HAS-30, and Neewer NW-9000 on AliExpress, or anywhere else.
They all basically the same headphones, and they all accept Brainwavz earpads for ultimate comfort.
I use Brainwavz sheepskin earpads, but there are plenty of other to choose from.
Exactly right.

I couldn't remember all those clone names...

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #7,107 of 7,153
If you are treble-sensitive, I highly recommend Takstar GM200 - It's very similar to Pro 82 v2, but with bass response very similar to the Fostex TH900:
1696517391785.png

Check the first page of the Pro 82/GM200 thread for the link to a trusted store (they ship to Brazil), and a 5$ coupon!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...iew-impressions-and-discussion-thread.849965/
Beware of other stores, GM200 fakes are being sold here and there.

Check this review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/takstar-gm200.23913/

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #7,108 of 7,153
If you are treble-sensitive, I highly recommend Takstar GM200 - It's very similar to Pro 82 v2, but with bass response very similar to the Fostex TH900:
1696517391785.png

Check the first page of the Pro 82/GM200 thread for the link to a trusted store (they ship to Brazil), and a 5$ coupon!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...iew-impressions-and-discussion-thread.849965/
Beware of other stores, GM200 fakes are being sold here and there.

Check this review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/takstar-gm200.23913/
What would you recommend that is a step up from these? Something under $500? I love the HP50's sound, though sometimes I would like a wider soundstage. They are tonally almost perfect for me, they are just uncomfortable which is why im looking for a replacement. I have the ISK 9000's, I hardly use them anymore as I found them a touch bass heavy for my taste, thought the soundstage is actually pretty good.

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #7,109 of 7,153
What would you recommend that is a step up from these? Something under $500? I love the HP50's sound, though sometimes I would like a wider soundstage. They are tonally almost perfect for me, they are just uncomfortable which is why im looking for a replacement. I have the ISK 9000's, I hardly use them anymore as I found them a touch bass heavy for my taste, thought the soundstage is actually pretty good.
An upgrade from GM200? That would be the Pro 82 v2 - a perfect balance through the frequency range and great imaging.
Bass is neither elevated nor recessed, and bass quality exceeds that of Fostex TH900, Sony MDR-Z1R or Sennheiser HD820.
I own half a dozen $1000+ headphones/IEMs, including the $3800 Stax 009 - but I prefer to listen to Pro 82 v2 using synergy combos.

Synergy combos are very important for Pro 82 - they elevate it to new heights. Read about them here - Comparison of DACs/Amps
Read here comparisons to other headphones (including HP50) - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...ns-and-discussion-thread.849965/post-13490895

Just to be clear - despite the elevated bass response, GM200 doesn't sound "bass-heavy", bass kicks in only when it is required.

P.S. Make sure to purchase Pro 82 v2 in the same TakstarAudio store (link in the first post), some other stores sell v1 or "night shift" versions.

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #7,110 of 7,153
An upgrade from GM200? That would be the Pro 82 v2 - a perfect balance through the frequency range and great imaging.
Bass is neither elevated nor recessed, and bass quality exceeds that of Fostex TH900, Sony MDR-Z1R or Sennheiser HD820.
I own half a dozen $1000+ headphones/IEMs, including the $3800 Stax 009 - but I prefer to listen to Pro 82 v2 using synergy combos.

Synergy combos are very important for Pro 82 - they elevate it to new heights. Read about them here - Comparison of DACs/Amps
Read here comparisons to other headphones (including HP50) - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...ns-and-discussion-thread.849965/post-13490895

Just to be clear - despite the elevated bass response, GM200 doesn't sound "bass-heavy", bass kicks in only when it is required.

P.S. Make sure to purchase Pro 82 v2 in the same TakstarAudio store (link in the first post), some other stores sell v1 or "night shift" versions.
Is the Pro-82 separate from v2? How can I identify the difference? I have the Kensington cloud 2 (takstar pro 80), though they sound good I have never really considered them for anything else other than gaming. Is is these here? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...!sea!CA!841841515!&curPageLogUid=1Y6pHuvARs0S

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back