Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Aug 12, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #6,196 of 7,153
I saw you mentioned the Sennheiser 598, can you compare the sound of both?
I tend to avoid unnecessary comparisons. I don't think they are comparable in any way. The Phoenix isn't as open as the HD 598, while the HD 598 doesn't have anywhere near the bass response of the Phoenix.
The HD 598 will remain my baby. It's my holy grail when it comes to "old-shool" quality. The quality of the plastic on the HD 598 truly seems to be German-grade (Germans are known for having everything high-quality.... at least they were, I don't know how it is now). The cable on the HD 598 remains the best cable on a headphone that I have seen, the new cables on headphones are crap. The HD 598's cable is close to the quality of MacBook's (mine is the early-2015 version) charger cable - indestructible.

But quite honestly, they are two very different headphones, especially considering that the Phoenix's driver sits very close to the ear. The HD 598 is just a classic, I can wear it for days. To say they are very comfortable would not be enough, because they just disappear on your head. Also the pairing of HD 598 to the Earmen TR-Amp is just unforgettable, the chemistry between those two is *mind blowing

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #6,197 of 7,153
I tend to avoid unnecessary comparisons. I don't think they are comparable in any way. The Phoenix isn't as open as the HD 598, while the HD 598 doesn't have anywhere near the bass response of the Phoenix.
The HD 598 will remain my baby. It's my holy grail when it comes to "old-shool" quality. The quality of the plastic on the HD 598 truly seems to be German-grade (Germans are known for having everything high-quality.... at least they were, I don't know how it is now). The cable on the HD 598 remains the best cable on a headphone that I have seen, the new cables on headphones are crap. The HD 598's cable is close to the quality of MacBook's (mine is the early-2015 version) charger cable - indestructible.

But quite honestly, they are two very different headphones, especially considering that the Phoenix's driver sits very close to the ear. The HD 598 is just a classic, I can wear it for days. To say they are very comfortable would not be enough, because they just disappear on your head. Also the pairing of HD 598 to the Earmen TR-Amp is just unforgettable, the chemistry between those two is *mind blowing
I just bought an 598 but i am still looking for a basshead open back, maybe i will take the phoenix instead of the Fidelio X2.
Thanks!

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #6,198 of 7,153

I agree. I loved my HD598. My 1st serious headphone. So many people were gravitating to Grado fever at the time, but I’m so glad I went the Sennheiser route.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #6,199 of 7,153
Well I bought the Allen Ribbon Headphones from China, it's currently in transit to me. Pretty cheap for a pair of headphones, not to mention that it's ribbon (about $200), it comes with a "amp" modified from a powerbank in order to power it. The reviews from the Chinese users seem really positive so I thought what the heck, I'll just try it for the fun of it.

Will post back here when I eventually get it (probably next week).

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #6,200 of 7,153
Well I bought the Allen Ribbon Headphones from China, it's currently in transit to me. Pretty cheap for a pair of headphones, not to mention that it's ribbon (about $200), it comes with a "amp" modified from a powerbank in order to power it. The reviews from the Chinese users seem really positive so I thought what the heck, I'll just try it for the fun of it.

Will post back here when I eventually get it (probably next week).

Do you have a link?

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #6,201 of 7,153
Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #6,202 of 7,153
Aug 13, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #6,203 of 7,153
Gold planar is a different company to Allen. Gold planar is currently doing a preorder for their ribbon headphones, but the final cost will be pretty high.

Here is a link to the Allen ribbon headphones: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.422c2e8dmgD7Ow&id=596834851143&_u=d1u0cr5i3e20

At the moment, I can't comment if they're a good or bad buy.
My bad, I completely forgot about the brand name after seeing Chi-Fi AMT headphones. 🤣

The GoldPlanar GL1000 and GL1000C look like the ODM of the Monoprice M1060 and M1060C.

I'd imagine the sound is very clear when done right, but at $190 it must have some serious tuning issues.

Aug 13, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #6,204 of 7,153

Attachments

• O1CN01v7UYsI1UNKk4qdQd4_!!45212505.png
    O1CN01v7UYsI1UNKk4qdQd4_!!45212505.png
    388.7 KB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #6,207 of 7,153
Some of those are just shells, or shells with basic drivers... not sure how many of the rest are competitive offerings though. Unlikely that the $290 planar outperforms the Sundara ($350), for example.

Aug 13, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #6,208 of 7,153
Some of those are just shells, or shells with basic drivers... not sure how many of the rest are competitive offerings though. Unlikely that the $290 planar outperforms the Sundara ($350), for example.
Are the included drivers bad? Thought they seemed like a decent deal; such as the wood shells with the Denon D9200 and AKG N90Q drivers. From what I was able to google translate they all included drivers unless you selected the option for just the shell

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #6,209 of 7,153
Are the included drivers bad? Thought they seemed like a decent deal; such as the wood shells with the Denon D9200 and AKG N90Q drivers. From what I was able to google translate they all included drivers unless you selected the option for just the shell
Fair enough, though I can't speak as to the quality of the raw drivers on the D9200. Which product mentions the N90Q?

The horn composite speaker is the same technology as in the OKCSC headphones, along with all of its issues.

The dual driver unit likely has either crossover or timbre issues (or both).

The Tiinlab unit has a deeper construction than most closed backs, so the soundstage might seem wide, but that also usually leads to mid and treble issues in an effort to provide balanced sound.

The cheap walnut item is definitely just a shell.

The MSR7 shell is just a shell.

And like I said before the planar looks remarkably like the Sundara, and almost costs as much.

The D9200 ones might be worth a look if that is the genuine driver, and the dual driver might be worth taking a shot at to see if crossovers have improved, but otherwise it's a bit iffy. Hope the feedback helped. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back