Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Aug 23, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #6,227 of 7,153
DCD52D6B-F9BC-41FB-ACCE-9600F4773D65.jpeg
A75B29ED-49C4-40E5-8A20-38AE0A1E869A.jpeg

$33 - Xiaomi Mi HiFi headphone (after sale price and coupons)
$6 - 3rd party Mi Hifi earpads from Aliexpress; stripped for their plastic mounting brackets
$3 - Generic Grado Bowls from Aliexpress (perfect fit)
$0 - True open backed mod and driver retuning
————————
Total = $44
Bang for buck = $Priceless

Hi! I ordered these headphones because I broke my moded grado SR60. I was also planing to put the big pads on.
The only thing I thought I would miss was the open back. Could you maybe describe how to mod these headphones to be open backed and how it changes the sound. I poked holes in my sr60 driver to improve the bass response and truly adored how they sounded. I'm hoping that these xiaomi headphones will be a worthy successor.
Also where did you find the $6 3rd party pads, I can only find them for around $10...

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #6,228 of 7,153
Hi! I ordered these headphones because I broke my moded grado SR60. I was also planing to put the big pads on.
The only thing I thought I would miss was the open back. Could you maybe describe how to mod these headphones to be open backed and how it changes the sound. I poked holes in my sr60 driver to improve the bass response and truly adored how they sounded. I'm hoping that these xiaomi headphones will be a worthy successor.
Also where did you find the $6 3rd party pads, I can only find them for around $10...

I bought them during an Aliexpress sale, where they were a few dollars cheaper. Then, I used a $1 off $2.01 coupon I had won in a game to get the price even lower.

As far as converting them to open backed, it was a lot of work.
  • First, the pads are removed (which are twist lock mounted). Then the driver and 2.5mm socket must be removed (the screws strip very easily). Be extremely careful to not rip the wires off the driver or the 2.5mm socket.
  • Next, the passive radiator must be ripped out. It’s held in with glue.
  • Next, there’s a black plastic frame inside that must be cut away. I cut everything away except for the section where the 2.5mm socket mounts. I used a Dremel tool with various cutting bits.
  • Behind that is a thick piece of clear polycarbonate plastic (like plexiglass). That was cut away with a carbide cutting bit on a Dremel.
  • Behind THAT is a thin sheet of clear plastic, about as thick as a piece of paper. I cut that out with an XActo knife.
  • Next, the melted plastic ‘flash’ was removed with fine wire snips, and all plastic edges were all trimmed and smoothed with a small diamond sanding bit.
  • Then every plastic edge was carefully cleaned up and chamfered with an Xacto knife, to prevent any possibility of plastic ‘hairs’ from the edges falling into the driver.
  • Then I used an big air compressor and blew out all plastic shavings and plastic dust. I followed that up with using fine tweezers and manually picking out all stray shavings and particles of plastic that didn’t blow out with air (ie ones that were wedged underneath nooks and crannies).
  • Finally I wiped the inside down with a barely moistened microfiber cloth, and gave it 1 more blasting with the big air compressor to remove every speck of anything that could fall inside the driver. It’s gotta be clean clean clean.
  • Then reassemble everything, being careful not to rip the wires off the driver or socket. You also have to carefully tuck the wire such that it doesn’t get pinched by anything, or cut by a screw. Also be careful not to strip the screws (which is easy to do).

At this point, the Grado pads should be modded to fit, and have a listen. Any driver tuning should be done as normal based on personal preference. That is a whole separate topic in and of itself.

The whole process occurred over the period of a few days in stages. I probably spent 6-8 hours total.

If I had known how the headphone was constructed, I probably wouldn’t have done it because honestly it was a PITA. And I own all of the proper tools and have modded too many headphones to count. So if it was a PITA for me, I can’t imagine what it would be like for someone else who may have different or no tools and a different level of experience.

For example, I didn’t expect the passive radiator and the plexiglass and other BS that was in the way. Those were all extra obstacles that made the job way harder than it needed to be. In contrast, I converted the Archgon Delicato to open in about 1 hour tops.

The stock closed headphone actually sounds perfectly respectable, but I own more than 1 pair so I didn’t want them all the same. Plus I like the challenge, despite the difficulty.

I also found that an amp is required, because even my ES100 was struggling at max volume to provide enough power.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #6,230 of 7,153
Thanks for the detailed answer!
It does sound like alot of work... I have been modifying cameras and motorcycles for years so I have all of the tools necessary but I still don't know if it would be worth it.
Once I get the headphones and listen to them for a bit I will see how they feel and decide from there. The only thing is because I don't have much experience with audio gear I don't really know what needs to be pulled out and what doesn't. Who knows, if they sound really good maybe I'll buy one more to play around with modding. (if there isn't a better open back $40 headphone...)

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #6,232 of 7,153
I think another possibility was KPH30i with the giant donut pads to transform it into over ear, although I think total would be $38 at that point.

Do good sub $40 over ears exist?
You could also look at the KSC75 with a headband mod and Yaxi pads, or Yaxi pads for the KPH30i.

For over ears, ISK MDH9000 and its clones are ones that get mentioned these days in that price point, but $10-$15 more would get you a Takstar GM200, which is a Pro 82 with extra bass and a slightly warmer signature.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012705103.html

$60 in the sale starting tonight, and you can use the $6 code in the first posts of the Pro 82 thread to get it down to $54.

The OKCSC ZX-1 is another option in that higher price bracket, but probably needs a pad change and an EQ, assuming you can tolerate the peaks in the lower treble: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32921057857.html

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #6,234 of 7,153
You could also look at the KSC75 with a headband mod and Yaxi pads, or Yaxi pads for the KPH30i.

For over ears, ISK MDH9000 and its clones are ones that get mentioned these days in that price point, but $10-$15 more would get you a Takstar GM200, which is a Pro 82 with extra bass and a slightly warmer signature.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012705103.html

$60 in the sale starting tonight, and you can use the $6 code in the first posts of the Pro 82 thread to get it down to $54.

The OKCSC ZX-1 is another option in that higher price bracket, but probably needs a pad change and an EQ, assuming you can tolerate the peaks in the lower treble: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32921057857.html
I wonder. Can I stretch the clip on the KSC75 so I can drop the Yaxi pads and keep the clips?

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #6,236 of 7,153
Anything quite like the X2, but lighter (in weight) and maybe bit less open? The Sivga Phoenix are real close to what im looking for, but really stretching the budget. Would prefer to be at the 150 mark.

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #6,237 of 7,153
Clamping force is perfect IMO. I have been wearing them non stop for about 6 hours so far, with no hotspots or glaring comfort issues. I only took them off once to take a break for dinner.

The on ear pads aren’t overly hot either, which can be overwhelming in summer with big ass circumaural pads like HM5 etc.

They would be more comfortable with larger pads, but that’s every on ear headphone in the world. I might try to mod 1 of my pairs with Beats pads like I did with 1 of my H1707, but we’ll see how I feel.

Note that since the headband is metal, the clamping force can be easily adjusted if need be.

Sub bass extension is deep. It’s not overwhelming or overly boosted though. For example, one of my goto test tracks for sub bass extension is Crazy by Seal. At 5:20 there is a very deep sub bass line, and the Xiaomi hits it with ease and plenty of rumble.

As far as treble, it’s very well done. Smooth, not harsh or piercing, not overly analytical. In fact, the treble on the H1707 can be hotter due to the ceramic tweeter.

The is a very polite and musical headphone. Tuned for the average consumer masses. They’re not TOTL giant killers though. But they’re a total steal at the $39 price, and I’m definitely going to be using the heck out of them (which I can’t say for a lot of my headphones).

Remember though, it’s closed so it’s got the typical closed in compressed sound. But 100% that’s to be expected, especially with on ear pads and compact ear cups with small internal volume.

I will also mention that I am not using the stock cable. I’m using a custom made SPC upgrade cable. I’ve done all my listening with the ES100 and also FiiO A5 amp. YMMV.
Oh I got quite excited when I found your rec of this xiaomi headphone! I'm searching for a portable, foldable and good sounding pair for a long time under 40 usd (no extra fee below this in my country) Something with good sound quality that I can use for long periods and on the go as well, while not looking like a clown haha.
is this the correct listing? The store has like 4 different listings for the same product, quite weird
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000861493570.html

I bought the Oneodio studio pro about 1.5year ago, but it's too big and uncomfortable for me, I also didn't like the sound signature. (my brother's thin-foam BT version sounds nicer to me) I had a soundmagic p21 and takstar hd2000 as well, which had cheap build quality and average sound, they are in pieces now lol. I only have a lame sony zx110 at the moment which is a joke even after modding lol, and a Pro 80 which is not suitable for outside use, also with circumaural headphone I struggle to get adequate seal. Do you think the sound quality is comparable to the pro 80? Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #6,238 of 7,153
Oh I got quite excited when I found your rec of this xiaomi headphone! I'm searching for a portable, foldable and good sounding pair for a long time under 40 usd (no extra fee below this in my country) Something with good sound quality that I can use for long periods and on the go as well, while not looking like a clown haha.
is this the correct listing? The store has like 4 different listings for the same product, quite weird
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000861493570.html

I bought the Oneodio studio pro about 1.5year ago, but it's too big and uncomfortable for me, I also didn't like the sound signature. (my brother's thin-foam BT version sounds nicer to me) I had a soundmagic p21 and takstar hd2000 as well, which had cheap build quality and average sound, they are in pieces now lol. I only have a lame sony zx110 at the moment which is a joke even after modding lol, and a Pro 80 which is not suitable for outside use, also with circumaural headphone I struggle to get adequate seal. Do you think the sound quality is comparable to the pro 80? Thanks

I don’t own the Pro 80, so I have no idea how the Xiaomi compares.

But I now have 3 of the Xiaomis (1 pretty heavily modded), so that should tell you how much I like them.

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #6,239 of 7,153
I don’t own the Pro 80, so I have no idea how the Xiaomi compares.

But I now have 3 of the Xiaomis (1 pretty heavily modded), so that should tell you how much I like them.
I'm seriously considering it, honestly I just wanted to buy some cheap diy earphone stuff but this may override the whole thing. :D Thanks for the rec! Is the cable regular 3.5mm? Do you think the speakers could be upgraded with aliexpress drivers? (if let's say it arrives damaged or I just want to improve it in the future)

By the way, could you give some basic headphone tuning tips? The Oneodio studio pro is ridiculously V-shaped, midrange is very recessed. Pro80 is much better but a bit too bright and thin for me, the vocals are not very natural because of the too much upper part and the treble is too sparkly, sound a bit like over EQ-d clarity. Needs to relax a bit in the upper half. Do you think these could be improved with non destructive methods, like adding or removing foam between the speaker and earpad or something? I'm new to headphones but tinkered quite a bit with earphones.

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #6,240 of 7,153
I'm seriously considering it, honestly I just wanted to buy some cheap diy earphone stuff but this may override the whole thing. :D Thanks for the rec! Is the cable regular 3.5mm? Do you think the speakers could be upgraded with aliexpress drivers? (if let's say it arrives damaged or I just want to improve it in the future)

By the way, could you give some basic headphone tuning tips? The Oneodio studio pro is ridiculously V-shaped, midrange is very recessed. Pro80 is much better but a bit too bright and thin for me, the vocals are not very natural because of the too much upper part and the treble is too sparkly, sound a bit like over EQ-d clarity. Needs to relax a bit in the upper half. Do you think these could be improved with non destructive methods, like adding or removing foam between the speaker and earpad or something? I'm new to headphones but tinkered quite a bit with earphones.

The cable terminates to 3.5mm, but they are 2.5mm plugs where they connect at the cups.

As far as your tuning question, the easiest (non destructive) and first tuning method is to change out the earpads. You can change the sound of a headphone considerably by doing nothing other than changing the pads to different pads.

Try thicker pads, which will move the driver further from your ear. Also, go with pleather pads and not velour pads to tone down the treble.

And yes, you can tone down the treble by experimenting with different materials in the center of the earpad (over the driver). Different types of cloth (spandex, cotton, nylon stocking, and “3D air spacer mesh), thin felt, thin acoustic foam, paper towel, tea or coffee filter, and many other materials.

All will have different properties, so you have to experiment and try things out. It’s actually quite fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back