Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
May 3, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #5,506 of 7,153
Do you have any ideas of decent sounding chi-fi headphones with velour pads? Or at least models compartible with velour pads. As far as I remember old Superlux models were with both pleather and velour pads.

May 3, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #5,507 of 7,153
You can get round Brainwavz velour pads for the ISK MDH9000 clones.

May 4, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #5,511 of 7,153
Usually I avoid velour because of the loss of bass punch, but the MDH9000 clones would probably be just fine with it. Unfortunately I don't have any on hand to test with. I have some hybrid velour/pleather pads I just put on, but they're a fair bit thicker than the stock pads so that's affecting the sound more than the materials.

I'd like to try the new Brainwavz gel/sheepskin suede "gaming" pads, but the current cost is almost as much as I paid for these headphones!

May 7, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #5,512 of 7,153
I'm thinking to upgrade my gear, from ATH-SR5 to something like Fostex T60RP imported from Japan.
Is there any good alternative? max 250 USD before shipping and import taxes.
I'm slightly confused because I think my sound preference become wider (I like audio-technica and Ocharaku sound signature).
I really like ATH-MSR7 (had one) / MSR7SE, ATH-W5000, Sony CD900ST, Fostex TH900, Fostex T50RP MK3, modded Sennheiser HD800.

May 7, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #5,513 of 7,153
I'm thinking to upgrade my gear, from ATH-SR5 to something like Fostex T60RP imported from Japan.
I'm slightly confused because I think my sound preference become wider (I like audio-technica and Ocharaku sound signature).
I really like ATH-MSR7 (had one) / MSR7SE, ATH-W5000, Sony CD900ST, Fostex TH900, Fostex T50RP MK3, modded Sennheiser HD800.

Try Takstar Pro 82, only 58.85$ on the mobile app for the newest version with flatter frequency response: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...g-game-stereo-headset/314156_32808454492.html
See this post for comparisons with other (often far more expensive, like TH900 and HD800) headphones: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...s-and-discussion-thread.849965/#post-13490895

May 9, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #5,516 of 7,153
If you like Audio-Technica, then you'd probably like the Takstar Pro 82. Not Chi-Fi, but the new ATH-MSR7b sounds absolutely fantastic and even better balanced (they come with a 4.4mm balanced cable and standard 3.5mm cable). I listen to them balanced with my ES100 (with a 4.4mm to 2.5mm balanced adapter) and they sound so, so sweet.

May 16, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #5,518 of 7,153
OK, I'm in the middle of this pad experiment:
  • Did some acclamitization listing to my Marantz MPH-2s w/stock pads.
  • Then, w/o changing the volume on the amp (Lake People G109-A), I switched pads to the Brainwavz Round 100mm velours.
First, I have to reiterate how much I like the stock MPH-2s. Those pleather pads are plush & ultra-comfortable. And the sound is just as I remembered it: the bass is definitely elevated; to my ears, the elevation occurs pretty low down, below the mid- and upper-bass, and it has the effect of a kick in the head that seems not to contaminate the mids at all (or if it does, I can't hear it). The mids are quite good, not exactly TOTL, but there's a rich, musical quality there that really satisfies me (for example, female voices sound very good). The treble rolls off fairly high up, where it basically doesn't matter much to me on most material. Also the soundstaging and channel separation are distinctly better than any other inexpensive headphone I've heard--I've heard closed HPs at 10X the price that don't have significantly better soundstaging, just in terms of width and instrument placement.

So what happens with velour pads? The biggest change (which took me totally by surprise) is that the volume is significantly, noticeably lower overall. I had to turn up the volume, which of course trashed my 1:1 comparison (oh, well). The other effects were:
  1. Slight decrease in bass overall. Not a big drop. The bass still kicks like a mule at the bottom; still doesn't have much to do with the mids, lower-mids. It's still great bass, maybe more accurate now.
  2. Definite increase in upper-mids' level. There is some sibilance now in all voices, for example. Drum transients jump out of the mix more. Overall effect is to mirror that low bass elevation w/a new one in the upper mids...an "M" headphone voicing. This yields an apparent increase in detail, but I'm guessing there's no real change in resolution--just level.
Is it better w/velour pads? The bass might be technically better, but the rest is not really good for me. I prefer the stock pads, punchy bass included, mainly because the mids just have something special for an inexpensive Chi-Fi headphone.

This stock clone is a very musical pleasing design IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back