Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Apr 24, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #5,477 of 7,153
Yes. Wish I had not though. Very muddy bass. If one wants a bassy headphone ISK MDH9000 is a lot better. B7 is pretty though. For me they're worth the money just as a donor housing.

Thanks, I was hoping for “those are fantastic” as they look gorgeous but muddy bass kills that pretty quickly. I wonder if they would change for the better with tons of hours on them. Thanks again for saving me the cash!:ksc75smile:

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #5,478 of 7,153

I grabbed some of these babies at $30 ish and let them burn in for maybe 30 hrs and they sound awesome to my ears and comfy, comfy!
I searched the thread and got no results so if these are old news sorry. Changing sound is still happening it sounds like but I’ll keep you posted if you’d like?

Has anyone heard the Boss hifi...Blon b7?
They are also known as the Yenona Pro's. I've had them for about 2 years or so.

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #5,479 of 7,153
Thanks, I was hoping for “those are fantastic” as they look gorgeous but muddy bass kills that pretty quickly. I wonder if they would change for the better with tons of hours on them. Thanks again for saving me the cash!:ksc75smile:
I tried modding them and even though there was improvement they never reached the level I had hoped. Shame msur n550 is nowhere to be found these days. It is not polished but equally good looking imo. My favorite chifi headphone and one of my overall favorites among sub $300 closed backs. N650 is propably very similar sounding but it's not as affordable.

Apr 27, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #5,481 of 7,153
Longtime Lurker here with a question/request.

My Monoprice 8323s bit the dust and my very poor soldering skills may have killed them for good, so I've been looking for a replacement. For reference, I hated the 8323s (picked up for a bargain at $10) at first until I tried someone's suggestion of rolling up some paper and placing it into the pads. To my surprise (was never really a HP wearer before) there was a noticeable difference, which then had me thinking of actually picking up new pads for comfort and better sound.

Not wanting to spend much, I picked up replacement pads from Aliexpress (a velour set and an angled pleather set). All was good, bass was deeper, mids present and highs were fine.

After coming across this thread, the upgrade itch hit and I picked up some Marantz MPH-2s. Admittedly, I probably didn't give them enough time, but if memory serves, I felt they weren't that much better than what I already had with the modded 8323s. So I returned them.

Then the 8323s broke. I repaired them once, in a most Frankenstein way, but they worked. Then they broke again, and as mentioned above, I think I've finally killed them.

I have a set of SHP9500's that I really like. I do miss the bass in the 8323s and my house can get quite loud, so I'm again looking for a closed back to complement them... for gaming, music and movies.

I've considered the 8323s again since I have pads that fit, but I recently purchased and returned a set of Retros from Monoprice and the whole process turned me off from them for a bit (8323s were second hand). Plus, I want a removable cord (although I would have modded the Retros if I liked the sound).

So. Back to my question and TLDR:

Between the Oneodio's and the MDH9000 clones, which would you recommend and why?

I own both and find it easy to recommend the MDH9000 clones over the OneOdio (formerly Yenona). The clones sound better IMO, are sturdier, and more comfortable. Another advantage of the clones is mod-ability. I collaborated with another Head-Fi'er here, @Slater, on heavy mods to one of the clones (he did all the work). Anyway, his mods turned this humble headphone into an open-back design (believe it or not) that accepts any 3.5mm cable (terrific upgrade there) and sounds distinctly better.

But even stock, the clones sound pretty good. It's a somewhat warm, bassy design--falling on the side of musical/enjoyable rather than forensic/hyper-detailed.

The worst thing I can say about the clones is (at least for my big head) there's too much clamping force. I got around that by routinely storing them in the stretched position.

Apr 27, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #5,482 of 7,153
I own both and find it easy to recommend the MDH9000 clones over the OneOdio (formerly Yenona). The clones sound better IMO, are sturdier, and more comfortable. Another advantage of the clones is mod-ability. I collaborated with another Head-Fi'er here, @Slater, on heavy mods to one of the clones (he did all the work). Anyway, his mods turned this humble headphone into an open-back design (believe it or not) that accepts any 3.5mm cable (terrific upgrade there) and sounds distinctly better.

But even stock, the clones sound pretty good. It's a somewhat warm, bassy design--falling on the side of musical/enjoyable rather than forensic/hyper-detailed.

The worst thing I can say about the clones is (at least for my big head) there's too much clamping force. I got around that by routinely storing them in the stretched position.

For my normal (?) sized head I have no excess clamping force and they do not feel like they will fall off either. I only have them extended one notch.

Apr 27, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #5,483 of 7,153
Still considering my options and looked closer at Status Audio CB-1s based on their reputation (sound-good, build quality-bad). I was stuck that the CB-1s, a 50mm driver, look very similar to the MDH9000 clones.

Which makes me wonder how the CB-1s and MDH9000 clones compare sound-wise.

Im also considering m40x's at this point, but I would having to get a 2.5mm mic.

As to Brazil, have a relative that lives there... the import taxes are absolutely atrocious for electronics. You have my sympathy. Beautiful country and wonderful people though.

I had the CB-1s at the same time at several MDH9000 clones (I've owned 4: gifted 2 and kept 2). The CB-1 sounded kind of like a blend of the Yenona/OneOdio & MDH9000 clone. Nicely balanced, pretty good bass, no part of the frequency curve jumping at me. But the build quality was indifferent and they were 10-20% smaller than the MDH9000 clones, making them iffy for my big head.

Again, I'd recommend one of the MDH9000 clones before CB-1. The only variable w/the clones is that one of them (Akai Professional 50X) comes w/awful pads that you must immediately replace w/pads from another of the clones, LyxPro HAS-30s (or Brainwavz 100mm rounds).

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #5,488 of 7,153
Takstar HF 580's net weight is 550g. Damn.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #5,490 of 7,153
According to a Google search, the BossHifi B8 weighs 321 grams.
I thought it was heavy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back