Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Nov 27, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #5,011 of 7,153
I personally find the foam a bit too stiff and it causes hotspots on my ears when worn for awhile. That being said I am surprised by how well they sound still.

One last thing. Not a fan of the cable at all. Short, thin, plasticy, janky, and how they go into a hole in the wood to be attached.... I have no idea where to begin to do a cable mod on these.

UPDATE

Been using these a bit and fiddling around with them. The foam is easily removed. It is basically like any other removable earpad on most of my headphones. As such I was able to put on different pads to try different things. Problem is, the sound so far has been worse with most things I've changed to that I own. This is because these drivers are very bass heavy tuned. Most of the bass is leaked out through the foam and when it reaches your ear with the original design the bass sounds "right" from that foam. It's not too much or too little with the original foam. With HM5 round over the ears on right now the sound is a bit darker, warmer, and muddy. It's not horrible, but I know some people wouldn't like it in comparison. I have a few other pads to try still that tend to curb extra bass.

The main point of the pad rolling here for me though is it improves comfort for me. The stock foam pads are too stiff for me. They make hotspots on my ears over time, they are hot in general and make my ears sweat, and they pick up every little piece of lint/fuzz/hair that floats around.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #5,012 of 7,153
Been using these a bit and fiddling around with them. The foam is easily removed. It is basically like any other removable earpad on most of my headphones. As such I was able to put on different pads to try different things. Problem is, the sound so far has been worse with most things I've changed to that I own. This is because these drivers are very bass heavy tuned. Most of the bass is leaked out through the foam and when it reaches your ear with the original design the bass sounds "right" from that foam. It's not too much or too little with the original foam. With HM5 round over the ears on right now the sound is a bit darker, warmer, and muddy. It's not horrible, but I know some people wouldn't like it in comparison. I have a few other pads to try still that tend to curb extra bass.

The main point of the pad rolling here for me though is it improves comfort for me. The stock foam pads are too stiff for me. They make hotspots on my ears over time, they are hot in general and make my ears sweat, and they pick up every little piece of lint/fuzz/hair that floats around.

You just tug hard enough and the pads come off? They didn't seem to budge at all so I haven't messed with it. But if you do find some pads that work well, that would be interesting. I don't find the foam super annoying, but it's a bit rough and I'd prefer a traditional pad if it wouldn't wreck the sound.

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #5,013 of 7,153
So, I bought a second set of Marantz MPH-2 to mess around with (and then was annoyed when they dropped even cheaper on Ebay briefly). I went to do some of Slater's mods (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...-ear-headphones.822184/page-207#post-14097278).

First thing I found was, the tuning paper mod didn't apply. Neither of my MPH-2 had paper covering those holes to begin with. Next I did the locking cable elimination, no problem. Third I made some holes for the stealth venting mod.

I'm not sure I can hear much difference from the venting, but that brings me to the other thing... I bought a second set so I could do a nice A/B testing before and after the mods, but my new MPH-2 sounds different to begin with! The new one is livelier and punchier. I'm not sure if this is an extreme example of burn-in since my old set are a couple years old, random variation, or what. So I think the mods slightly improved my old set, and I'm definitely glad to be able to use different cables with it, but currently I prefer the sound of the new one anyway. Hmmm....

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #5,014 of 7,153
You just tug hard enough and the pads come off? They didn't seem to budge at all so I haven't messed with it. But if you do find some pads that work well, that would be interesting. I don't find the foam super annoying, but it's a bit rough and I'd prefer a traditional pad if it wouldn't wreck the sound.

The foam pads are slotted like everything else/. They fit around a plastic ring. Take them off like any other earpad you've had to replace if you replaced any.

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #5,015 of 7,153
The foam pads are slotted like everything else/. They fit around a plastic ring. Take them off like any other earpad you've had to replace if you replaced any.
So I know that you are impressed with the sound of the ZX1, but how does it compare to the OKCSC M2? I'm really enjoying mine a lot. Classical music and jazz in particular comes alive.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #5,016 of 7,153
I wonder if that is why I like them so much.... I have missed my old Sennheiser HD480 (the first original version from the 90's). I wonder if there is any similarity... it is difficult now to really remember them clearly. What I remember is how I felt when listening late at night with them. I would still have them if I had known the cables were detachable. I actually threw them in the trash when I was getting ready to move here:frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2: All that was wrong was the sound cutting in and out on the right... had to be the cable. I had often fallen asleep with them on.

For me, it was the foam ear pads that deteriorated that ended their "life". Maybe it was the either the difficulty or expense of obtaining replacement ear pads that spelled DOOM.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #5,017 of 7,153
For me, it was the foam ear pads that deteriorated that ended their "life". Maybe it was the either the difficulty or expense of obtaining replacement ear pads that spelled DOOM.

I did replace the pads once. Probably could still get them.I just did not know I could replace the cable.

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #5,018 of 7,153
A045AF56-8B70-437F-80BE-05ACE72BC0AC.jpeg
Pssst... Look who arrived. :)

(They're camouflaged on my table :p)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #5,019 of 7,153

I tried some pleather pads that I had laying around. Not actually sure what brand they are, but they're about the same size as the HM5 but not as deep. I'm actually pretty happy with them! The bass is bolstered a bit, but not beyond reason and I'm not getting any muddiness. I'm actually kind of digging the sound right now!

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #5,020 of 7,153
I noticed that there are no Frequency Response Graph's of the Neewer NW-9000 to be found anywhere on the web. So I thought I would upload one.
2a9yveo.jpg

Personally I don't place too much importance on FR Graphs, I am a musician and ultimately judge by listening, but I would say that this graph is an accurate representation of the NW-9000's sound signature. I really like my NW-9000's, I've had mine's for 6 months now and have had no issues whatsoever. I use them for recording/mixing/mastering my own music but they are also more convenient to use than my other headphones, so these are the one's I use all the time. The one's I can depend on.
Gonna be getting the Sony MDR 7510/1 in a matter of days so i'll see how they compare to the NW-9000.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #5,022 of 7,153
I noticed that there are no Frequency Response Graph's of the Neewer NW-9000 to be found anywhere on the web. So I thought I would upload one.
2a9yveo.jpg

Personally I don't place too much importance on FR Graphs, I am a musician and ultimately judge by listening, but I would say that this graph is an accurate representation of the NW-9000's sound signature. I really like my NW-9000's, I've had mine's for 6 months now and have had no issues whatsoever. I use them for recording/mixing/mastering my own music but they are also more convenient to use than my other headphones, so these are the one's I use all the time. The one's I can depend on.
Gonna be getting the Sony MDR 7510/1 in a matter of days so i'll see how they compare to the NW-9000.

That part about "top grade leather headband and earcushion" is a flat out false advertising. Both are just plain old cheap pleather.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #5,023 of 7,153
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #5,024 of 7,153
So I know that you are impressed with the sound of the ZX1, but how does it compare to the OKCSC M2? I'm really enjoying mine a lot. Classical music and jazz in particular comes alive.

Have a bit of a cold going on right now. Not doing any critical comparisons at the moment while my sinuses are all clogged. I will update though when I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back