Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Feb 3, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #6,946 of 7,153
The locking part of my LyxPro HAS-30 was just an extra plastic piece that was held in by small phillips screws. I removed that piece and use a Vmoda cable for it. You can't use just any cable with it since the jack is so recessed but you have a lot more options once you taking the locking part out. You just have to take out the left driver to get to it. Fairly simple if you have the right sized screwdriver. This is what the little locking piece looks like.
0203221321.jpg
Very interesting.

Can you show a picture of the headphone jack on this cable you mention?

I ask because my guess is once that locking mechanism is removed, you still are limited to narrow-diameter jack bodies (to insert fully in the housing).

Feb 3, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #6,947 of 7,153
Very interesting.

Can you show a picture of the headphone jack on this cable you mention?

I ask because my guess is once that locking mechanism is removed, you still are limited to narrow-diameter jack bodies (to insert fully in the housing).
This is the cable that I use https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/audio-only-cable
You are still limited by the narrow housing for sure, but there are definitely options out there for AUX cables from China that have slim plugs. The plug on V-Moda cable measures 6.8mm at the widest point (the ribs for gripping) and fits easily. You might be able to get away with a 7mm (or maybe 7.1mm) housing, but I can't guarantee it.
0203221335.jpg0203221335a.jpg0203221336.jpg

Feb 3, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #6,948 of 7,153
It has been reported that this cable also works with the ISK MDH9000 clones.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K3WXBQ4
(Sorry, I don't have an amazon.co.uk link)
You may have to use pliers to detach them, however.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #6,949 of 7,153
It has been reported that this cable also works with the ISK MDH9000 clones.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K3WXBQ4
(Sorry, I don't have an amazon.co.uk link)
You may have to use pliers to detach them, however.
Can't be certain w/o measuring, but the shaft of those plugs looks the right size...thin enough to fit in that housing.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #6,951 of 7,153
This is what i wanted to try but... "Over ear" and i gonna use them for 6h+ everyday this small pads is worst thing about them and changing them is not so easy and probably will destroy all stock sound. I will look into K361/371 tbh i would try k552 but they are discounted and i never seen them here.
The 1More isn't as uncomfortable as it reads on paper, and is very well isolated despite being compact for larger ears. Detail level is exceptional for a closed back in that price range though, and that small earcup makes it very easy to line up the piezo driver for good imaging performance.

K371 and K553 MKII are fairly equivalent sonically - the K371 is the successor - with the latter being a little more bright and brittle, and little bit wider in the soundstage. The K371 should be more comfortable, and generally is for most people.

Feb 4, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #6,952 of 7,153
The 1More isn't as uncomfortable as it reads on paper, and is very well isolated despite being compact for larger ears. Detail level is exceptional for a closed back in that price range though, and that small earcup makes it very easy to line up the piezo driver for good imaging performance.

K371 and K553 MKII are fairly equivalent sonically - the K371 is the successor - with the latter being a little more bright and brittle, and little bit wider in the soundstage. The K371 should be more comfortable, and generally is for most people.
The very 1st "serious" headphones I owned in this hobby were the K553, which (in my total ignorance) I purchased based solely on their looks. They "looked" comfortable.

They weren't comfortable, nor was their sound. I couldn't unload them fast enough. There were other sonic speed bumps along the way in this hobby; the K553s were just the first...

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #6,953 of 7,153
Pharmaboy, theangelboy, raccoon city thanks very much for the replies.

Yeah, was considering those from Amazon US but the availability of a replacement cable was a concern.
Not in regard to upgrading but rather the fact that I have a habit of destroying cables quite quickly.
If it’s just a case of unscrewing something and removing it as opposed to filing something down then that’s very much doable.

Thanks.

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #6,954 of 7,153
The very 1st "serious" headphones I owned in this hobby were the K553, which (in my total ignorance) I purchased based solely on their looks. They "looked" comfortable.

They weren't comfortable, nor was their sound. I couldn't unload them fast enough. There were other sonic speed bumps along the way in this hobby; the K553s were just the first...
I can only comment on the MKII, but I can imagine the original would have had a very dry sound if AKG saw fit to roll out a revision in less than 2 years.

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #6,956 of 7,153
Some photos and measurements of the Sivga Robin (SV021):

IMG_4650.jpg IMG_4671.jpg IMG_4675.jpg IMG_4677.jpg
IMG_4683.jpg IMG_4698.jpg IMG_4715.jpg
Frequency response.png
This is why chi-fi is not competitive anymore. Something that used to sell for $50 is now $150. Yet manufacturers refuse to improve tuning on their headphones. It's always exaggerated bass, wonky mids and over pronounced highs for "detail". Blon b60 is another example of this. It offers nothing that cheaper chifi did not have ten years ago. As former passionate chi-fi hobbyist I find state of chi-fi fullsize headphones depressing.

Anyone heard oneodio monitor 80? Maybe that one is decent.

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #6,957 of 7,153
I can only comment on the MKII, but I can imagine the original would have had a very dry sound if AKG saw fit to roll out a revision in less than 2 years.
"Dry sound" is a good way to describe it. I was messing around with EQ in those days, and I found that no matter which frequencies I goosed or dropped, that K553 never really conveyed the soul of music. It was just a lifeless, sterile sound.

No regrets, though. As I used to say of clients who hated my first drafts (freelance writer), "They only figure out what they really want when I give them exactly what they asked for--but don't want after all."

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #6,958 of 7,153
This is why chi-fi is not competitive anymore. Something that used to sell for $50 is now $150. Yet manufacturers refuse to improve tuning on their headphones. It's always exaggerated bass, wonky mids and over pronounced highs for "detail". Blon b60 is another example of this. It offers nothing that cheaper chifi did not have ten years ago. As former passionate chi-fi hobbyist I find state of chi-fi fullsize headphones depressing.

Anyone heard oneodio monitor 80? Maybe that one is decent.
There are more wiggles than are ideal, but overall it tracks pretty close to the Harman curve, I've seen a lot worse. I think a big selling point for that model is the aesthetics though.

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #6,959 of 7,153
There are more wiggles than are ideal, but overall it tracks pretty close to the Harman curve, I've seen a lot worse. I think a big selling point for that model is the aesthetics though.
…but how does it sound (balance, imaging, soundstage…)?

Feb 6, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #6,960 of 7,153
Sure, it's pretty. I don't oppose sv01 in particular. I don't need headphones to match harman curve. I enjoy variety. For the sake of variety it would be nice if someone came up with moderately priced chi-fi headphone that is tuned for balanced signature. Sivga Phoenix was a step in that direction but it was muffled, congested and unfit for adult head. It is also more expensive than Beyerdynamic dt880, AKG K701 or Sennheiser HD6xx. Value for money used to be at core of chi-fi. It's just not there with Phoenix.

So how about that sivga sv021 or blon B60? V-tuning for average consumer. With -50% price reduction I could get on board. Now they're as expensive as big brand alternatives. I'd rather go with tested products such as Beyer dt770, ath-m50x or k371. On top of equal pricing sivgas and blons would need to be imported making potential warranty cases more difficult.

So what else is there. I kind of liked Harmonicdyne Helios. Big soundstage, big bass, big sound. Treble is spiky and subbass lacking. Other than that I liked it. Is it a good value. For ~200usd/200€ not really in my opinion. Of course value is depends what you can get for same price in your area and If you can get your chi-fi from a dealer in your area. Many people in europe can't so warranty is always problematic. Anyway...AKG K712 Pro is 205€ at thomann.de. Going by graphs tuning is quite similar as Helios. I don't see a reason to go for Helios instead of AKG. I've never considered Zeus or Poseidon. Tuning seems worse according to measurements and prices are nuts. For 300-400€ I'd much rather buy handcrafted headphones from Ollo, Sash or Verum...or get used LCD-2c etc.

So what else... Takstar hf580 planars? I like those but wonky mids, Non detachable cables and poor weight distribution were a turn off. I could get it for 217€ locally. It's a decent deal. 150€ would be more appropriate all things considered but 217€ is okayish. Out of the box Hifiman he400se(ok, Chinese but more mainstream) is better but hf580 can be modded to sound better. That is big attraction in chifi for me - modding potential. If core product is good I don't mind some tweaking to get better value for money.

Recently I bought Tripowin H1. For allmost 200€ thats a bad joke. Not competitive even in sub 30€ segment.

I had okcsc zx2. Koss portapro is cheaper and sounds better so no value there.

Openheart oh2000. Awesome build quality. Ridiculously bright. Horrible.

Toneking L8. Weird muffled sound. I've had many headphones with that cup and hinge design and it seems quality has come down since. Dual driver system was introguing but turns out that the second driver is just an earbud glued on the headphones. Not worth 100€.

GoldPlanar Gl2000. Nice alternative for better entry level headphones such as he400se or dt880. Problem is that it should be 400€ cheaper.

Speaking of expensive Chinese planars I've never heard Sendy Peacock or Timsok TS 1024 but from what I've red both are good candidates for worst "+1000€ headphones ever" award. I have also somehow missed Sendy Aiva but it is supposedly good. At 649€ it better be.

GoldPlanar gl400. Sub 100€ planar screams of value. I thought so atleast. Unfortunaly it produces no high frequencies and is unfit for human head. I'd buy it for 40€ just for the drivers.

I've tried a bunch of other stuff too in recent years but it's hard to keep track on sea of mediocrity.

There are good value chi-fi headphones out there of course. ISK mdh9000 clones are good value. Takstar pro82 is well balanced. Many superlux headphones are good. Takstar pro80 is a classic that lives on under different names. Msur stuff was good while it was available. Brainwavz hm5 is heck of an value for 60-70€. Two cables, case, spare pads. Nice.

Problem is of course that all those good value headphones have been around for 5-10 years allready. What the hell happened to chi-fi? Did every capable headphone designer in china move to designing iem's or go work for Hifiman? Seems to me all they do now is polish the wood shinier and increase the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back