Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 2, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #6,901 of 7,153
As far as I know these all are about the same:
ISK MDH9000
Stellar Labs HC-5985
Marantz MPH-2
Freeboss MDH9000
LyxPro HAS-30
Neewer NW-9000

This also a clone, but with sucky earpads:
Akai Professional Project 50X

I would choose any of the first six, or if you are going to change the earpads anyway, maybe get the Akai.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #6,902 of 7,153
Had a look thanks, but couldn't find the Marantz MPH-2 for sale there at the moment, from what you and others have said it seems to have the best QC/build quality out of the MDH9000 clones.

Sorry to go off topic but when I was searching for info about the MPH-2 I saw a post by you about it on a forum I used to frequent many years ago.
It reminded me of a post of mine there that contains the most hidden joke I ever made on the internet, took 6 months for anyone to notice it and acknowledge it.
You actually posted in that very same thread it was in but I'm not sure if you noticed the joke or not. Lol
It was 10 years ago, that's insane.
I've only known about the MDH9000 clones for a little over 3 years.
Are you sure it was me and it was 10 years ago?

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #6,904 of 7,153
Oh, okay.
I understand now.
So, is your user name "Steve Dave" on BLF as well?

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #6,906 of 7,153
...From reading all the comments and reviews over the past few days the MDH9000, Pro82, or B8 clones would be more than adequate SQ and price wise so was hoping one of them was significantly better for noise isolation to make my decision easier.
Thought the B8s would be better due to wooden earcup construction...
Pro 82 has better isolation and comfort than B8.

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #6,908 of 7,153
Jan 2, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #6,909 of 7,153
Jan 4, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #6,910 of 7,153
More questions I'm afraid. :)
If I do buy from Aliexpress it's not really viable to return them if their not suitable so was thinking I could maybe mod them if necessary.
Is there space in the earcups of the MDH9000 and Pro82 to put in some sound dampening material?
Or does most of the sound leakage come through the pads?

The only low-cost Chinese closed back headphones, which seem to be well thought of here, that I can find in stock from a UK supplier are the ISK HP2011 £54/$73.
Could anyone who's owned these please tell me what they're like for noise isolation and if the captive cable is reasonably easy to replace?

Thanks.

Jan 4, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #6,911 of 7,153
Thanks very much for the replies guys and I appreciate the welcome theangelboy, first time poster but long time search function abuser. :)

Yeah, when it gets bad I use IEMs with 3M Peltor X5A hearing protectors over the top, works like a charm but over extended periods the IEMs can irritate my ears a bit so looking for some over ear headphones to swap to.
The 10+ year old Sennheiser RF headphones I have were perfect for watching TV when I was living that quiet suburban cul de sac life but not anymore as they're open back.

From reading all the comments and reviews over the past few days the MDH9000, Pro82, or B8 clones would be more than adequate SQ and price wise so was hoping one of them was significantly better for noise isolation to make my decision easier.
Thought the B8s would be better due to wooden earcup construction.
Unfortunately none of the suggested clones appear to be in stock locally at the moment so while I wait it'll give me time to change my mind a hundred times over. :beyersmile:
Though now if I can't find anything as good cheaper I'm thinking the £85 HD280 Pros are at the top of my fall back list (thanks for the tip).

Thanks again for all your help and if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.
If you're after substantially more noise cancellation, I'd be looking into IEMs or upcoming ANC options. Bluetooth LE Audio should offer you a great option via LC3 Plus Low Latency codec, and combined with competent ANC, that should kill off background/traffic noise.

As for recommendations in that space, it's going to be a wait and see approach as to who aside from Sennheiser and AKG starts tuning their closed backs properly for this purpose.

RE: AliExpress, they should offer free returns in the UK, just have to launch a dispute if there's issues within the first 15 days of declaring the order received. Refund only though.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #6,912 of 7,153
If you're after substantially more noise cancellation, I'd be looking into IEMs or upcoming ANC options. Bluetooth LE Audio should offer you a great option via LC3 Plus Low Latency codec, and combined with competent ANC, that should kill off background/traffic noise.

As for recommendations in that space, it's going to be a wait and see approach as to who aside from Sennheiser and AKG starts tuning their closed backs properly for this purpose.

RE: AliExpress, they should offer free returns in the UK, just have to launch a dispute if there's issues within the first 15 days of declaring the order received. Refund only though.
Hi Jasswolf,
Thanks for the reply.
I may well take a punt on some ANC headphones later but looking to buy some wired over ears in the mean time, which I accept will have limitations as to how much noise they can block out.

I thought one of the big issues with buying from Aliexpress suppliers was that they made you return goods to China at your own expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back