Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Nov 25, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #6,871 of 7,153
Nov 25, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #6,872 of 7,153
Thanks, can you confirm B8 is more medium oriented than Pro 82?

Its from your Pro 82 review

Mids:
The mids are somewhat recessed - this is a U-shaped headphone, but not as much as Pro 80.
The timbre of voices is nearly perfect. If only they would step forward a bit!
I think it's because of the recessed mids that I find myself listening at slightly higher than usual volume - at lower
volume Pro 82 doesn't sound as impressive.

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #6,873 of 7,153
Thanks, can you confirm B8 is more medium oriented than Pro 82?

Its from your Pro 82 review
I initially considered Pro 82 u-shaped, because I thought that B8 is what "neutral" is.
After delving heavily into electrostatics, I now understand that Pro 82 is neutral, and B8 is more mid-forward.
If you are looking for a mid-oriented presentation, B8 is the way to go.

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #6,875 of 7,153
Hey, i got it from Aliexpress, it came less than a week, impressive for such fast delivery, coming from China to EU!
I thought it was bigger than my ex Takstar Pro 82, its nearly same size but heavier.
It well made, the wood material looks superb.
Comfort is ok but i think Pro 82 is sightly better, i said i have relatively large head, and for B8, i needed to adjust size of the hoop (sightly)
About sound quality, i dont know, does anyone have some songs/playlist in order to test it?
All i know its sound volume is a bit weak while for Pro 82, i need to lower at maximum, B8 is on the opposite, maybe twice weaker at same sound volume.
One thing i dislike its jack braided cable, it rubs in my clothes and makes some grinding. Moreover the cable length is a bit short (maybe 1,8m)

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #6,876 of 7,153
Comfort is ok but i think Pro 82 is sightly better, i said i have relatively large head, and for B8, i needed to adjust size of the hoop (sightly)
Pro 82 is unmatched for its comfort.

About sound quality, i dont know, does anyone have some songs/playlist in order to test it?
It's best to test headphones with the songs you know and love.

All i know its sound volume is a bit weak while for Pro 82, i need to lower at maximum, B8 is on the opposite, maybe twice weaker at same sound volume.
Do you mean that B8 is harder to drive? It shouldn't be, as it has lower impedance (16 vs 32) and higher sensitivity (106 vs 96).
Maybe the cable isn't plugged in all the way?

One thing i dislike its jack braided cable, it rubs in my clothes and makes some grinding. Moreover the cable length is a bit short (maybe 1,8m)
Luckily, it's a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, you can easily replace it.

Dec 5, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #6,877 of 7,153
Dec 6, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #6,878 of 7,153
I beg to differ.
Sheepskin earpads are unmatched for their comfort.
I beg to differ too.
The material of the pads has some influence, but so does the size, shape and density of the pads.
Not to mention the clamping force of the headband...

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #6,879 of 7,153
Yeah, but the Pro 82 doesn't have sheepskin earpads, so that's a no-go for me.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #6,880 of 7,153
Hifiman RE9 spotted on Aliexpress --> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003418045870.html?

RE9.jpg

Dynamic drivers. Looks quite similar to the R10 dynamics. Price on AE is $830.

Edit: Another listing with higher price and english texts --> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003506494785.html?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #6,881 of 7,153
Hey there guys, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Was thinking of buying a pair of open back headphones. My options came down to:
Philips SHP 9500
OKCSC ZX1
OKCSC M2
ISK HF 2010

Someone recommended an OpenHeart headphone but it seems hard to drive.

Does anyone have any of these to compare them?

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #6,882 of 7,153
Hey there guys, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Was thinking of buying a pair of open back headphones. My options came down to:
Philips SHP 9500
OKCSC ZX1
OKCSC M2
ISK HF 2010

Someone recommended an OpenHeart headphone but it seems hard to drive.

Does anyone have any of these to compare them?
I have the ZX1 and I really didn't like it out of the box. It has a raised lower treble (around 3khz, I think) that made everything sound etched, harsh, and unnatural to me. I fixed it somewhat with a pad swap (heavy EQ could also work). However, I say you should avoid them. It's not a headphone that I would recommend to most people, especially since they really aren't that cheap and the build is not great. I don't have any experience with those other models unfortunately, so I can't comment on those, but that's my 2 cents.

Dec 26, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #6,883 of 7,153
I have the ZX1 and I really didn't like it out of the box. It has a raised lower treble (around 3khz, I think) that made everything sound etched, harsh, and unnatural to me. I fixed it somewhat with a pad swap (heavy EQ could also work). However, I say you should avoid them. It's not a headphone that I would recommend to most people, especially since they really aren't that cheap and the build is not great. I don't have any experience with those other models unfortunately, so I can't comment on those, but that's my 2 cents.
Do you have any of the Superluxes? That’s pretty much my experience with open back headphones. That too was kinda harsh in the treble area, but I did do a swap a pad swap on that and tamed the treble. I just want something that’s an upgrade over that. These headphones just seemed like a likely candidate.

The price I was buying them for was $60, too much?

Reading through previous threads it looked like there was a change in the headphones that could affect the sound. Apparently a soft foam was missing from the new one that someone bought. He then complained of harsh, unnatural sound. No idea if that’s what’s happening to yours or that’s how it is even with the foam. Last I saw from that user was him trying to find a similar foam to put on his newer ZX1.

Dec 26, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #6,884 of 7,153
Do you have any of the Superluxes? That’s pretty much my experience with open back headphones. That too was kinda harsh in the treble area, but I did do a swap a pad swap on that and tamed the treble. I just want something that’s an upgrade over that. These headphones just seemed like a likely candidate.

The price I was buying them for was $60, too much?

Reading through previous threads it looked like there was a change in the headphones that could affect the sound. Apparently a soft foam was missing from the new one that someone bought. He then complained of harsh, unnatural sound. No idea if that’s what’s happening to yours or that’s how it is even with the foam. Last I saw from that user was him trying to find a similar foam to put on his newer ZX1.
My set has the mesh/foam over the driver (I bought it a few years ago). I'm not sure if they revised the model to no longer have that foam or if that was just a manufacturing error with the missing foam (I seem to remember reading about that member who got a set without the foam). I should note that I have somewhat of a sensitivity to that 3khz range. Too high or too low and I struggle to find things listenable. Not everyone is bothered by that, so YMMV.

As for Superlux, my only experience with them is the hd660 that I modded (meh overall), but that's a closed back.

As for the ZX1's price, I do think $60 is too much given the overall quality of build, fit, and sound. $40 would be more reasonable. Putting big grado pads on the kph30i is similar fit (oversized foam pads that are on ear), similar build, and better sound (warmer, less punchy, but also less offensive lower midrange) for about 2/3 the price. But, I'm not sure if that would be an upgrade or more of just a side grade from your Superlux.

One semi-open headphone that can be found around $50 is the AKG 240s. Rolled off bass but they have some really nice midrange and make vocals just sound great. But that lack of subbass doesn't make them great for all genres.

I haven't really experienced many open backs <$75 price range that I would consider to be complete winners. Most of my experience in the price bracket is closed backs. So sorry I'm not more help!

Dec 26, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #6,885 of 7,153
My set has the mesh/foam over the driver (I bought it a few years ago). I'm not sure if they revised the model to no longer have that foam or if that was just a manufacturing error with the missing foam (I seem to remember reading about that member who got a set without the foam). I should note that I have somewhat of a sensitivity to that 3khz range. Too high or too low and I struggle to find things listenable. Not everyone is bothered by that, so YMMV.

As for Superlux, my only experience with them is the hd660 that I modded (meh overall), but that's a closed back.

As for the ZX1's price, I do think $60 is too much given the overall quality of build, fit, and sound. $40 would be more reasonable. Putting big grado pads on the kph30i is similar fit (oversized foam pads that are on ear), similar build, and better sound (warmer, less punchy, but also less offensive lower midrange) for about 2/3 the price. But, I'm not sure if that would be an upgrade or more of just a side grade from your Superlux.

One semi-open headphone that can be found around $50 is the AKG 240s. Rolled off bass but they have some really nice midrange and make vocals just sound great. But that lack of subbass doesn't make them great for all genres.

I haven't really experienced many open backs <$75 price range that I would consider to be complete winners. Most of my experience in the price bracket is closed backs. So sorry I'm not more help!

I’ve been hearing good things about the kph30i, but unfortunately I’m in Brazil, so headphones like those are pretty much in the same price range of the ZX1 for me(They’re 369 reals on Mercardolivre, about 65 USD, the 240 is 478 R, about 84 USD, but I could maybe shop around and find both of them a bit cheaper).

And I very much appreciate the opinion and advice, thankyou.

This place is pretty much the only decent place to find good advice and honest thoughts on Chinese audio equipment. Most brand audio can be prohibitively expensive in some areas and YouTubers and audiophile sites usually cover brand names, and Reddit seem kinda snobby in general to Chifi(and YouTubers sometimes when they do cover them, but there are good ones like zpolt, but he doesn’t cover headphones much) so it’s a lot of googling around to even check on potentially decent stuff, so thanks a lot again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back