Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Oct 17, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,221 of 7,153
@Slater I'm not judging, you're CLEARLY a brother from another mother! I made a set of NVX SPT (aka Brainwavz HM5, etc) Into a fully open backed can...so, I get it, completely.
My next frankenstein is a set of vintage Pioneers with great cups in need of new wiring and drivers...

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #2,222 of 7,153
haha

That would be me sir, although I gifted the pair from that original mod to another HF member. I also did the open-backed treatment to the Meizu HD50 and the Bluedio T3 (which I completely de-bluetoothed).

where do you get the metal mesh to cover the grills?

Oct 18, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #2,223 of 7,153
I had a day off today, so I managed to check reviews for headphones that were recommended to me. At the moment, ISK HP2011 are my first choice, the only gripe I have with them is the super long non-removable cable, since I would use these only in public with my phone as the audio source. I also prefer the look of HF2010, but they are open back.
MDH9000 seem to be almost equally good, plus they have detachable cable. However, I'm not sure about the pads as they are circular. I wish I had a chance to try them out. Are they a copy a better known brand? If they are, maybe I can find them in a local store.
Same story with 662 EVO and SHL3300. They have rounded pads, so they actually sit on the ears (like my Megalodons which I can't wear for extended periods of time).

I was also looking into MDH8500, but I read a review that they sound worse than HP2011.

Oct 18, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #2,224 of 7,153
@Slater I'm not judging, you're CLEARLY a brother from another mother! I made a set of NVX SPT (aka Brainwavz HM5, etc) Into a fully open backed can...so, I get it, completely.
My next frankenstein is a set of vintage Pioneers with great cups in need of new wiring and drivers...

thanks man. There's folks here that are WAY more creative/talented than me (making new wood cups, etc). My main weapon is a Dremel.

In addition to headphones, I also mod IEMs in various ways, and did the Nintendo DS case, belt clip, and clear screen mod for the xduoo X3 (if you have an X3 check it out because it makes it infinitely more usable):

where do you get the metal mesh to cover the grills?

They are dirt cheap on ebay (usually $1-$2 a pair). If you search on ebay or aliexpress for 1" or 2" speaker grilles, tweeter grilles, tweeter covers, speaker mesh, etc or similar terminology you'll find it.

I usually get grilles made for 1", 1.5", or 2" tweeters (which works out to be around a 2-3" diameter grille pieces). Sometimes I can use the bezel that comes with the grille; sometimes I can't (it depends on each headphone I'm trying to make the grille fit). And sometimes 1 type of grille (as seen below) fits better than another.

The grilles are easy to cut down smaller, cut notches that you can then turn into 'tabs', bend and form with pliers, etc. It's thin painted metal (or sometimes plastic), with colors that includes chrome, black, silver, white, etc. You can even repaint it any color you want.

Here's some examples of the main grille types I use.
5.JPG 4.jpg 3.png 2.png 1.jpg

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #2,225 of 7,153
I had a day off today, so I managed to check reviews for headphones that were recommended to me. At the moment, ISK HP2011 are my first choice, the only gripe I have with them is the super long non-removable cable, since I would use these only in public with my phone as the audio source. I also prefer the look of HF2010, but they are open back.
MDH9000 seem to be almost equally good, plus they have detachable cable. However, I'm not sure about the pads as they are circular. I wish I had a chance to try them out. Are they a copy a better known brand? If they are, maybe I can find them in a local store.
Same story with 662 EVO and SHL3300. They have rounded pads, so they actually sit on the ears (like my Megalodons which I can't wear for extended periods of time).

I was also looking into MDH8500, but I read a review that they sound worse than HP2011.
MDH9000 has about 5 different versions, get the least expensive one, or the one that you like the looks of better, or whatever suits you. They are pretty big headphones the pads will totally fit over your ears, not on, and they do accept HM5 type pads so you can 'turn them' oval if that is really a hangup for you.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #2,226 of 7,153
Hey Slater, one FYI for future belt clips mods, Amazon sells The Original Clip for like $10 shipped. Comes with 3M double sided tape, adheres strong, I use it on my Fiio M3 at the gym

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2,227 of 7,153
At the moment, ISK HP2011 are my first choice, the only gripe I have with them is the super long non-removable cable, since I would use these only in public with my phone as the audio source.

Make sure you read impressions from people using them the same way (from a phone).
I didn't like them very much unamped. Proper amplification made a big difference for my ears - especially in bass presence and overall warmth and musicality.
These are my workplace set and like them very much now.

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #2,228 of 7,153
MDH9000 seem to be almost equally good, plus they have detachable cable. However, I'm not sure about the pads as they are circular.

Not sure about EU availability, but you can get a rebrand here for half the price of the MDH9000 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDB79T4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and get replacement pads here: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Ear-Pads-LyxPro-HAS-30/dp/B01N6DLLMN/

Just search your local amazon for the items in question. I ended up getting the HPs and pads for $29 total earlier this week.

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #2,229 of 7,153
MDH9000 has about 5 different versions, get the least expensive one, or the one that you like the looks of better, or whatever suits you. They are pretty big headphones the pads will totally fit over your ears, not on, and they do accept HM5 type pads so you can 'turn them' oval if that is really a hangup for you.

I'm just not sure how comfortable rounded pads are. As long as they don't sit on my ears, I think it should be fine. I found a post about all the MDH9000 versions, but I'm not sure I remember it correctly: LyxPro Has-30, Freeboss MDH9000, Marantz MPH-2, ISK MDH9000 and Akai 50X.

Make sure you read impressions from people using them the same way (from a phone).
I didn't like them very much unamped. Proper amplification made a big difference for my ears - especially in bass presence and overall warmth and musicality.
These are my workplace set and like them very much now.

It's hard to find reviews on any of these headphones coupled with phone as audio source. I'm probably going to go for MDH9000, though.

Not sure about EU availability, but you can get a rebrand here for half the price of the MDH9000 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDB79T4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and get replacement pads here: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Ear-Pads-LyxPro-HAS-30/dp/B01N6DLLMN/

Just search your local amazon for the items in question. I ended up getting the HPs and pads for $29 total earlier this week.

They seem to have bad reviews, mostly because they're very uncomfortable. I might take them into consideration if I can get them for lower price together with replacement pads.

Oct 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #2,230 of 7,153
They're uncomfortable because of those awful pads. The replacements make it feel fine. Remember, Amazon reviewers don't know anything about replacing pads, and they think SkullCandy are good heaphones.

Oct 19, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #2,232 of 7,153
I know, that's why I said I'd consider them if I found a good deal. I looked up pads, and unfortunately, shipping would cost me more than headphones alone. Do you know if any other custom pads fit them?

I have to partly disagree with several posts above about the ISK MDH9000: the original ISK MDH9000, as well as all the rebrands/clones of it that I know of except the Akai 50X), have truly excellent pads. I've owned 2 Marantz MHP-2s + 1 LyxPro HAS-30...same excellent pads--totally comfortable, perfect for the sound, no need to change. I tried changing the pads on the LyxPro HAS-30 (for some obscure reason), and nothing else came close to the stock pads.

For whatever reason, the Akai people recycled that terrific basic headphone design (frame, earcups, headband, wiring)--but used different, inferior pads & screwed up the sound & feel. I'll bet that if you put the pads from my Marantz MPH-2s on an Akai 50X, the 2 headphones would sound and feel indistinguishable from each other...

Here's the ISK MDH9000, complete w/those nice pads (it had been unvavailable to awhile, but it's back): https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...uter-K-Song-Earphones/526268_32640978002.html

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #2,233 of 7,153
I have to partly disagree with several posts above about the ISK MDH9000: the original ISK MDH9000, as well as all the rebrands/clones of it that I know of except the Akai 50X), have truly excellent pads. I've owned 2 Marantz MHP-2s + 1 LyxPro HAS-30...same excellent pads--totally comfortable, perfect for the sound, no need to change. I tried changing the pads on the LyxPro HAS-30 (for some obscure reason), and nothing else came close to the stock pads.

For whatever reason, the Akai people recycled that terrific basic headphone design (frame, earcups, headband, wiring)--but used different, inferior pads & screwed up the sound & feel. I'll bet that if you put the pads from my Marantz MPH-2s on an Akai 50X, the 2 headphones would sound and feel indistinguishable from each other...

Here's the ISK MDH9000, complete w/those nice pads (it had been unvavailable to awhile, but it's back): https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...uter-K-Song-Earphones/526268_32640978002.html
It seems like the best deal has been the Akai 50X with either these Senitek oval pads (cloth or velour) :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725SY6MZ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3HYJWDVMI6ORC&colid=1UL2BBD8Y4EZF
or these Lyxpro leather pads:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6DLLMN/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3OCXO9YSQBP3N&colid=1UL2BBD8Y4EZF
as far as 'round pads don't fit my ears' ...ok, well, these are pretty big headphones and I have yet to hear any one complain about the pads not fitting over their ears, but if you insist that your ears cannot be contained within round pads, the Senitek pads are oval...pretty much any oval shaped pad that size will fit...so, Brainwavz HM5 pads, NVX SPT pads etc...

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #2,235 of 7,153
@Slater

I got those Philips SHL3300 in today. Not going to lie, sound wise they are fantastic. Philips knows how to make headphones sound great. But comfort and build quality on these is pretty bad though. Besides sound, the only other good thing was that they were only $15 bucks. I am going to have to switch out the earpads at a minimum and bend the headband a bit as well for some comfort. This is because they clamp hardcore, the pads are on-ear rocks basically, and the cumulative effect feels like I put my head in a vise when I wear them. The lack of detachable cable with a horrible cable that is also a major turn off. Basically the only reason to buy these are for the potential by modding them. The drivers are freaking great. Everything else is ugh.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back