Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #10,006 of 33,689
You guize...my zither is so fragrant right now.....

OOTB...worth every penny. Everything I loved about the Series 5 with more control in the bottom and the veil lifted off of the highs and mids.

Will post more impressions soon.

Awesome! The 5 is my favorite of the bunch. Has a nice weight to it's sound that's missing from the rest of the lineup. Looking forward to your impressions. Be sure to post them in the TFZ thread as well :D

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...sions-now-with-1-3-5-and-king-reviews.852820/

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #10,007 of 33,689
Pulled the trigger on some ZS5's thanks to you bastards haha

For $30, can't go wrong. Especially with everyone claiming they top the P1 and Quads (which I am heavily skeptical of).

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #10,008 of 33,689
Just got a pair of VSonic VSD5S today, and I'm quite impressed.

Packaging is great (like the premium ZS5 box), and includes nice accessories - multiple silicone tips, foam tips included, ear guides, and zippered carry case. Not that I care about retail packaging of a headphone, but it's generally a good sign when a manufacturer cares to go to the trouble of quality packaging and presentation.

They are comfortable to wear, and the insertion depth is just right. They sit flat enough that they could be used for sleeping. They come with silicone ear guides, but they're useless because they fall right off. Good news is the bare wires fit comfortably behind my ears without the guides at all. They can also be work down (when R & L sides are reversed), but bass is reduced as a result.

Cable feels nice - not sticky at all, not plasticy feeling, no 'kink memory', and it has very minimal microphonics (which is completely eliminated when the chin slider is used). I wish this cable was used on other IEMs. Not sure how well the cable will hold up to strains though, and the 3.5mm end could use some improvement (iffy looking strain, & the plug is comically too large).

The stock tips seem a little smaller than average when compared to almost every other brand - the stock M tips are more of a 'schmedium', and the stock L tips seem to be more of a 'marge'. Similar to the SM and ML sizes of the Spiral Dots.

The sound is warm and rich, with great soundstage (which is surprising because the shells are completely sealed w/no vents at all). Instrument separation is really good. Nice bright highs with shimmer and sparkle. There is a hint of sibilance, but I've found that's not all that uncommon with beryllium drivers. Sub-bass is a little weak, especially when straight worn down. With the next larger size tips installed though, the sub-bass fattens up nicely. Bass is tight and fast.

In general, the mids have just the right balance - instruments sound wonderful. However, there seems to be something funky w/the midrange that I can't quite put my finger on yet. I could be just imagining it, as I'm only hearing it with some tracks (specifically with some vocals). I only have a few hours of listening time so far - no BI yet, and not enough listening time to allow BBI. Maybe it will clear itself up with BI/BBI.

They scale well when amplified. A little thin sounding with the stock iPhone, better with the xduoo X3, and warm and lively like a fine wine when the FiiO E12 was added to the X3.

These are great for rock, metal, xpop (pop, Kpop, Jpop, etc), and EDM. Not sure about other genres because I don't listen to jazz, classical, etc.

All in all, I'm very happy with them, & I see these VSonic VSD5S becoming one of my favorite IEMs.

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #10,009 of 33,689
Let me be clear on this. The Zs5 are good for a $30 iem, but in NO WAY (IMO) do they concievably top the P1, not in balance, EQ, soundstage or clarity. They have more bass but not as good of quality.

And for me personally they are horribly uncomfortable with those edges.

TWIN

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #10,010 of 33,689
Let me be clear on this. The Zs5 are good for a $30 iem, but in NO WAY (IMO) do they concievably top the P1, not in balance, EQ, soundstage or clarity. They have more bass but not as good of quality.

And for me personally they are horribly uncomfortable with those edges.

TWIN

That's what I thought, but I keep seeing people insisting that they're 5-10x their value. I don't buy it in the slightest, but for $30 who cares?

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #10,011 of 33,689
That's what I thought, but I keep seeing people insisting that they're 5-10x their value. I don't buy it in the slightest, but for $30 who cares?

Comparing to 5x or 10x their price is not realistic, but 3x, yeah. Sound only though. At that 100 USD mark you're getting better build and materials. Not that the ZS5 is bad in those regards, just that their build is simply price appropriate. All imo of course.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #10,013 of 33,689

Actually, they are $18 at the moment.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #10,015 of 33,689
I sprung a little extra on Amazon to get them with 2 day shipping. Really don't feel like waiting a few weeks for Ali to get their **** together.

That's cool.

BTW, it was Gearbest with that $18 price, not Aliexpress. Gearbest also had express shipping (7 days) for $2. Although nowhere near as fast as Amazon. I'm not a Prime member though, so Amazon punishes us with 1-2 week shipping times.

I'm with you on Ali though; I am getting really tired of their issues.

Anyways, let us know your thoughts once it arrives.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #10,016 of 33,689
Instead of the view on 30$ iems taking on iems few times its price or commonly known as the giant killer concept, i'm more willing to view thing as the best gem at its price range. Ppl usually buy stuff based on their budget within their own economic capabilities so i think it's better we say the ZS5 is a great iem at the 30$ range or P1 is a good iem in the 200$ range. I believe when doing reviews it's wise to compare too within the same price range of things or otherwise it's always a very vague concept such as when a 30$ IEM can score a 5star whereas 200$ IEM a 3star, does that make the 200$ IEM no better than 30$ IEM ? Just something that has intrigued me for long... there's good iem at every budget and there are bad iem at evey budget as well so the ZS5 is definitely outstanding at the 30$ range

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #10,017 of 33,689
I did see a post comparing the ZS5 to the P1, I think it said 'enjoying more' rather than better. That's very different to 'better than' and it was one comment not a universal opinion.

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #10,020 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back