Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Mar 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #7,007 of 33,689
So what's your first impression. My pair is surely coming this week. Penonaudio is really fast. Ordered on Thursday and it's already in Paris

MEMT X5 very early impressions without burn-in: They seem to punch well above their weight! I like them already. The stock tips are not my thing, so I put some jvc spiral dots on them.
I will do my best to write my full opinion in a review after some burn-in and listen.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #7,008 of 33,689
Well today I may have figured out why the Ty HiZ G3s have the wide soundstage that they do. I accidentally ran over my pair with my office chair whilst trying to catch one of my dogs before it knocked my coffee over.

Coffee saved but G3 knackered?

Not quite the two halves of the left earpiece had come apart but went back together fine with no other damage. Before heating them up with a hairdryer to reglue them I was able to have a look inside. The grille at the back of the earphone isn't for show they're actually open to the outside. 

So would they be classed as open or semi-open backed?

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #7,009 of 33,689
  Well today I may have figured out why the Ty HiZ G3s have the wide soundstage that they do. I accidentally ran over my pair with my office chair whilst trying to catch one of my dogs before it knocked my coffee over.

Coffee saved but G3 knackered?

Not quite the two halves of the left earpiece had come apart but went back together fine with no other damage. Before heating them up with a hairdryer to reglue them I was able to have a look inside. The grille at the back of the earphone isn't for show they're actually open to the outside. 

So would they be classed as open or semi-open backed?

ty has been working magic on high end earbuds for a while now so their proficiency with open back designs are definitely showing!

all their earbud designs have vents so either open or semi open works.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #7,010 of 33,689
  ty has been working magic on high end earbuds for a while now so their proficiency with open back designs are definitely showing!

all their earbud designs have vents so either open or semi open works.

I've never come across IEMs which have open backs like the G3s, maybe the odd hole but not the 40 odd that these have (not counted just guessing 
biggrin.gif
).

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #7,011 of 33,689

I've never come across IEMs which have open backs like the G3s, maybe the odd hole but not the 40 odd that these have (not counted just guessing 
biggrin.gif
).

Isn't someone going to count????

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #7,012 of 33,689
Well, depend on what You will compare to. It still has more bass quantity than ba drivers. Fit is their real problem. I'm luck it can fit me ears!

​Well I have to agree with yangian, I too really like the UiiSii Hi-905.  I will try to describe what I hear from these earphones so you can decide whether they fit your preferences.

First fit was difficult but once I figured it out I found them to be very comfortable.  I had to use a larger than normal tip, I usually find the large KZ starline tips work for me but had to use a larger tip with the Hi-905.  I insert the earphone with the cable down and twist the bottom up while pushing in a little and stop when the cable is about at the 8 o'clock position, this seem to seat the tip deeper in the ear canal.  I then run the cable over my ear. By doing this I was able to get a good seal that produced the best sound.

I would classify the sound signature as balanced and tending towards neutral.  Other earphone that I own that I would classify as having a similar signature would be Vivo XE800, Havi B3 Pro. and BYZ K17.  As for headphones I would also place the AKG Q701 with this list. 

I don't think many people have experience with the BYZ K17 so I will compare the Hi-905s to the XE800 and B3 Pro.

Treble

Like the XE800 the Hi-905 is well extended and provides crisp detailed treble.  With the Hi-905 the notes in the treble seem to be a little thicker resulting in a richer sound.  I believe some would consider both these on the bright side and I did have to burn in the XE800 for over 400 hrs. to get the treble to where I like it and I think I am quite treble tolerant.  On occasion I notice the XE800 to be sibilant but I have not noticed this with the Hi-905.

I find that the treble on the B3 Pro is not quite as extend and although it is detailed it lacks the crispness of the XE800 and Hi-905.  The B3 Pro would be the best choice of the three for anyone who is treble sensitive.

Bass

As far as bass the Hi-905 is very similar to the tight punchy bass of the XE800 however the Hi-905 has more sub bass.
The bass on the B3 Pro is not as tight or punchy as either of the other two.  I find that the amount of bass is very similar on all three but I prefer the punchier bass on the XE800 and Hi-905

Mids

All three of these earphones do a good job on the mids and as say I find them to balanced so the mids are not forward or recessed.

Sound stage,

The B3 Pro is known for a wide sound stage and I find that the Hi-905 equals the width of the B3 Pros sound stage.  Both these earphones have a wider sound stage than the XE800.
What sets the Hi-905 apart is in the positioning of instruments they have height, layering and a forward dimension.  1clearhead referred to this as a holographic effect and what I find it does is provide a sense of space and openness that I have not found with any of my other earphone. 

So if you like big extended bass, then yes, you will find the bass on the Hi-905 lacking.  If you are treble sensitive you will probably find the Hi-905 bright.  If you prefer a balanced earphone that is neutral, you will likely like the Hi-905.  If you are like me and are looking for a headphone that has something that sets it apart from the others in your collection, then the holographic effect might be that something.

I have been using the Hi-905s for over a month now and like them more and more with each listening session.  Do I like to throw on a bassier pair periodically, yes I do, but I find the Hi-905s best suit my preferred sound signature. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #7,014 of 33,689

​Well I have to agree with yangian, I too really like the UiiSii Hi-905.  I will try to describe what I hear from these earphones so you can decide whether they fit your preferences.

First fit was difficult but once I figured it out I found them to be very comfortable.  I had to use a larger than normal tip, I usually find the large KZ starline tips work for me but had to use a larger tip with the Hi-905.  I insert the earphone with the cable down and twist the bottom up while pushing in a little and stop when the cable is about at the 8 o'clock position, this seem to seat the tip deeper in the ear canal.  I then run the cable over my ear. By doing this I was able to get a good seal that produced the best sound.

I would classify the sound signature as balanced and tending towards neutral.  Other earphone that I own that I would classify as having a similar signature would be Vivo XE800, Havi B3 Pro. and BYZ K17.  As for headphones I would also place the AKG Q701 with this list. 

I don't think many people have experience with the BYZ K17 so I will compare the Hi-905s to the XE800 and B3 Pro.

Treble

Like the XE800 the Hi-905 is well extended and provides crisp detailed treble.  With the Hi-905 the notes in the treble seem to be a little thicker resulting in a richer sound.  I believe some would consider both these on the bright side and I did have to burn in the XE800 for over 400 hrs. to get the treble to where I like it and I think I am quite treble tolerant.  On occasion I notice the XE800 to be sibilant but I have not noticed this with the Hi-905.

I find that the treble on the B3 Pro is not quite as extend and although it is detailed it lacks the crispness of the XE800 and Hi-905.  The B3 Pro would be the best choice of the three for anyone who is treble sensitive.

Bass

As far as bass the Hi-905 is very similar to the tight punchy bass of the XE800 however the Hi-905 has more sub bass.
The bass on the B3 Pro is not as tight or punchy as either of the other two.  I find that the amount of bass is very similar on all three but I prefer the punchier bass on the XE800 and Hi-905

Mids

All three of these earphones do a good job on the mids and as say I find them to balanced so the mids are not forward or recessed.

Sound stage,

The B3 Pro is known for a wide sound stage and I find that the Hi-905 equals the width of the B3 Pros sound stage.  Both these earphones have a wider sound stage than the XE800.
What sets the Hi-905 apart is in the positioning of instruments they have height, layering and a forward dimension.  1clearhead referred to this as a holographic effect and what I find it does is provide a sense of space and openness that I have not found with any of my other earphone. 

So if you like big extended bass, then yes, you will find the bass on the Hi-905 lacking.  If you are treble sensitive you will probably find the Hi-905 bright.  If you prefer a balanced earphone that is neutral, you will likely like the Hi-905.  If you are like me and are looking for a headphone that has something that sets it apart from the others in your collection, then the holographic effect might be that something.

I have been using the Hi-905s for over a month now and like them more and more with each listening session.  Do I like to throw on a bassier pair periodically, yes I do, but I find the Hi-905s best suit my preferred sound signature.

beerchug.gif

Great review! I had Havi before. I cannot AB them now. From memory, 905 does not lack bass quantity than Havi. I would add that 905 has much better soundstage height than Havi. This is the first Chi fi product I found that can make such a great soundstage height and such a holographic sound!! Not only height, width and depth is also excellent, especially depth.
On sound signature, 905 is much brighter than Havi and M4. Havi and M4 have very similar sound signature.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #7,016 of 33,689
Mar 20, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #7,017 of 33,689
beerchug.gif

Great review! I had Havi before. I cannot AB them now. From memory, 905 does not lack bass quantity than Havi. I would add that 905 has much better soundstage height than Havi. This is the first Chi fi product I found that can make such a great soundstage height and such a holographic sound!! Not only height, width and depth is also excellent, especially depth.
On sound signature, 905 is much brighter than Havi and M4. Havi and M4 have very similar sound signature.

Just so I'm clear, I'm not a basshead by any stretch. The lack of bass is pretty pronounced, it's at the level that you'd get if you didn't get a decent seal in the ear at all. The seal is there though as I was able to get a pressure change in the earcanal by moving back/forth.

I'd also love it if someone could also explain how we hear height in a stereo recording with earphones. I know the outer ear has a role to play in hearing height/position in the real world. I can see how we'd interpret distance and position in terms of imaging but I just can't fathom height with IEMs. Not one for this thread though so: -

http://www.head-fi.org/t/840736/how-do-we-hear-height-in-a-recording-with-earphones

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #7,018 of 33,689
Vivo XE800 for $15: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-Original-VIVO-XE800-High-definition-moveable-Hifi-Sound-system-in-ear-earphone-with-mic-Voice/32742243420.html
Anyone buy from this seller?

I was not drawn in by these when they got hyped but for the price I tried them and it was (I think I got them around $12) less than stellar for me but I will tell you I loved the little expansion clip that hold the screen in the nozzle
wink_face.gif
As always though if they sound good to you it was a good purchase
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #7,019 of 33,689

I was not drawn in by these when they got hyped but for the price I tried them and it was (I think I got them around $12) less than stellar for me but I will tell you I loved the little expansion clip that hold the screen in the nozzle
wink_face.gif
As always though if they sound good to you it was a good purchase
bigsmile_face.gif

What did you not like about the sound?

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #7,020 of 33,689
I agree and think they look great for the low price. I still have my QKZ W1 Pro which cost me about $7 and the cable on those is better than some of the >$100 IEMs I have. Do let us know how they sound once you get them!

Yes, surely i will :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back