Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 23, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #1,966 of 33,689
Oct 23, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #1,967 of 33,689
Just ordered this beauty

https://de.aliexpress.com/store/product/Latest-Original-Brand-KZ-ATE-Super-Bass-In-Ear-Earphone-Earbuds-with-Mic-3-5mm-Hifi/1464008_32375675193.html?detailNewVersion=&categoryId=63705

Can´t wait to hear how it sounds compared to my ATE S.

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #1,968 of 33,689
first tr

when i first listened the massdrop re-00, was meh, even bah. after 200h burn-in and comparison to xe800, i think they have better instrument separation and imaging than xe800 (and maybe a bit more soundstage, as well); also resolution, they sound a bit colder and more analytical than xe800, and highs sound even more detailed and natural. tonally, they are very similar. quite neutral, flat bass, even more than xe800 (where you can hear more midbass!). maybe my perception is highly conditioned by my mood..

the re-00 are not as comfortable as xe800. the rugged surface of their shells hurts your ears (or massage them, it depends of your masochism level), so long tips are needed (like the stocked bi-flange: long, and rear flange wraps the rugged surface). the fabric cover braid of the cable does not look durable (easy to peel), and it is prone to tangle or twist (cord it correctly); but i guess there is a decent wide gauge copper inside, because the sound is ok to me. strain reliefs are longer than in xe800, too hard but tough in the angled jack, and soft enough near the shells.

owning a vsonic vc02, i wouldn't buy the re-00, because of the rugged shell, plus no detachable cable. for their price, they are not a wrong purchase however. they cost near 3x than xe800 (in my last order, xe800 were <$14: re-00 are $35+$5shipping), so both options are ok.

Thanks, that was very useful info as I have vc02 and will be getting xe800 in a few weeks. :D
Guess no need to look at them anymore; I was fascinated by what some reviews mentioned as neutral and benchmark type of signature.

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #1,972 of 33,689
Oct 23, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,973 of 33,689
  if anyone cares, i posted a review of the urbanfun here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/gemtune-urbanfun-hifi-dual-driver-in-ear-headphones-hybrid-balanced-armature-dynamic-earbuds/reviews/17147

Seems like the best value IEMs at $15? Gotta sell more of my earphones before I buy new ones.

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #1,974 of 33,689
anyone already by any chance listened to dt2 plus? Also can someone compare dunu titan/ex1 to **** 4in1? Thanks.

From my treble insensitive perspective, the fiio ex1 has a better, more natural soundstage, the 4in1 is much more in your face. Detail, isolation and bass are all better in the 4in1. The treble is more prominent in the Fiio and a lot of people would say it's too much but it's well within my limits. At half the price, the 4in1 is probably the better choice unless you really like the more recessed sound of the semi-open fiio.

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #1,975 of 33,689
Just got the XE800 and two pairs of **** 4in1.

Though the 4in1's bought from the same seller and has the identical physical appearance, I noticed slight but quite noticeable differences in the sound. The first is smoother and has better lower detail, while the other has tighter low and better upper detail. Both are good, and I would pick it over the TFZ 5s.  

Can't say much about the XE800, I stepped on it on the first day and broke the nozzle.

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,976 of 33,689

Though the 4in1's bought from the same seller and has the identical physical appearance, I noticed slight but quite noticeable differences in the sound. The first is smoother and has better lower detail, while the other has tighter low and better upper detail. Both are good, and I would pick it over the TFZ 5s.  

Can't say much about the XE800, I stepped on it on the first day and broke the nozzle.

You mean both pairs of 4in1 sound different between each other? I didn't understand that ...

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #1,979 of 33,689
As a differing opinion:

Narrowbore makes the bass and the treble stronger than widebore, so it makes harsh treble harsher.

That depends on the narrow bore you use.....There are differences in thickness at the center bore or outer silicone flange that changes the sound in general. So, the narrow bore that I use has a thicker than normal center that works in bringing down the lower treble/upper midrange harsh, which works for me. When using the wider-bore flanges it actually deminished the lower bass, which I like so much.

15 different types of tips including wide and narrow bore, single double and triple flange, foam silicone and silicone/foam combos. Also tried various depths of insertion.

Some worked better than others, but in the end the highs were still fatiguing and harsh for me. I loved the rest of the sound sig though, so I'm giving the DT2+ a chance.

The DT2 Plus are definitely on my list! 
tongue_smile.gif
 .....Please, give feedback once you get them!

Did you try "tip-rolling"? Or better yet, try burning them in for at least 100 hours!.....Last, but not least, are you using the same MMCX wires for both?  -Just curious.
smile.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #1,980 of 33,689
Asking again, cause I didn't get a response last time:

Is there a topic about portable chinese/asian brand DACs/AMPs, where I can get an idea about what's good and what's not.

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back