Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 6, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #31,276 of 33,689
Sometimes, when it rains, it pours. Received all of this today!

I was of course most anxious about the UF. So far, it works well, w/o any major QC issues that I’ve found. It’s gonna take a while to listen carefully to all of this. I’m still trying to figure out the Shozy Form 1.1, which is a weird concoction of tuning IMHO.

B0E65830-F6CC-423A-8911-43DE12B0AA6E.jpeg

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #31,277 of 33,689

I was of course most anxious about the UF. So far, it works well, w/o any major QC issues that I’ve found. It’s gonna take a while to listen carefully to all of this. I’m still trying to figure out the Shozy Form 1.1, which is a weird concoction of tuning IMHO.

Hope you enjoy them all.

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #31,278 of 33,689
CBE17906-2D9F-4D3B-AC12-9AA67DFDF41B.jpeg

I will try Hana soon and give my first impression.

Just want to say that Penon Orb is superb with vocal. Liquid smooth with very good Bass.

Penon shipped these out yesterday in Hong Kong via FedEx and arrived today in BC, Canada. Pretty much guinness world record for me. Bravo.

Jul 6, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #31,279 of 33,689
CBE17906-2D9F-4D3B-AC12-9AA67DFDF41B.jpeg

I will try Hana soon and give my first impression.

Just want to say that Penon Orb is superb with vocal. Liquid smooth with very good Bass.

Penon shipped these out yesterday in Hong Kong via FedEx and arrived today in BC, Canada. Pretty much guinness world record for me. Bravo.

Everyone has been wow'd with how fast Penon has been sending out shipments.

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #31,280 of 33,689

What cable is that? Could you post the link?

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #31,281 of 33,689
What cable is that? Could you post the link?
I’m not certain about the cable. It was the free cable that came with the T2+ during the recent Linsoul sale. It looks like it is just copper, and it is branded as Tripowin. It actually seems like it is an all-copper Tripowin C8 cable. It’s quite nice.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #31,282 of 33,689

I was of course most anxious about the UF. So far, it works well, w/o any major QC issues that I’ve found. It’s gonna take a while to listen carefully to all of this. I’m still trying to figure out the Shozy Form 1.1, which is a weird concoction of tuning IMHO...
Did you get the UrbanFun from L**s**l, via Amazon ?

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #31,283 of 33,689
Did you get the UrbanFun from L**s**l, via Amazon ?
I actually bought it directly from Linsoul. I used a gift card. I’m relieved that it has been working well.

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #31,284 of 33,689
I dont understand why brands such as blon and now Tanchjim simply throws away the potential to get even more buyers...I certainly hope that a warmer source (Ibasso DX160 coming to me tomorrow according to amazon) will help the Hana because otherwise I would want to throw it out the window...

Thanks @RikudouGoku for taking one for the team for the Hana. I'd probably give it a miss based on your feedback!

In the past, I fedback to a few Aliexpress sellers/reps such as Fiio (Jade Audio EA3), BLON (BL-05) and TRN (TRN VX) about the harsh upper mids/treble before. Westerners (in general) seem to dislike boosting this area as they find it fatiguing. I couldn't listen to the recently released TRN VX in stock form for more than 5 minutes due to this, had to use EQ or micropore mods.

Their response is that their local Chinese market likes to boost this area for their female vocals as that is generally their music preference. I think I've mentioned this before, they even have a term for this boosted upper frequencies: musical poison (毒音). So the sellers say the West is actually a small proportion of their sales, and these bright boosted upper mid sets are selling well in their local domestic market. Well I can see where they are coming from when they tune their gear this way -> do u cater to a 1 billion potential pool of buyers in mainland China vs a few thousand CHIFI western fanatics (at best)?

In addition, a few of these factors affect our perception to boosted upper mids/treble, so I realized that treble brightness is a very subjective area:
- Hearing health -> due to aging (it is quite physiological to lose hearing of the higher frequencies as we age), occupational exposure, leisure exposure.
- Volume of gear played at (Fletcher Munson curve) -> at high volumes, sound is perceived to be more V shaped (boosted treble/bass), whereas it is more U shaped at softer volumes.
- Different eartip materials (silicone vs foams) -> foams tend to dull treble for me, YMMV.
- Different eartip bores -> I find wider bore tips tend to make things brighter, whereas narrow bore ones tend to make things bassier, YMMV.
- Different sources -> warm vs bright vs neutral source.
- Different cables (if you ain't a cable skeptic) -> i know, a very controversial area in audiophiledom, silver vs copper cables. Won't open a can of worms here, but suffice to say I respect both camps' view points.
- Sonic preferences -> some are trebleheads by default, some are treble sensitive.
- Music genres -> certain music genres are more treble light or treble heavy, so it might emphasize certain frequencies more, especially the 2 - 4 kHz area which humans seem the most sensitive to.

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #31,285 of 33,689
I dont understand why brands such as blon and now Tanchjim simply throws away the potential to get even more buyers...I certainly hope that a warmer source (Ibasso DX160 coming to me tomorrow according to amazon) will help the Hana because otherwise I would want to throw it out the window...
Sorry, what did I miss? Is the Hana so bad?

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #31,286 of 33,689
That’s why we shouldn’t treat graphs as the bible. Because graphs don’t tell the whole story, and the best way to know how something sounds is actually listen to it.
I could actually tell something was amiss with the Hana from the graph. That upper-mids peak without the compensatory, masking bass was a telltale sign. Peakier than the Starfield and with less bass, what could be expected?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #31,287 of 33,689
In the past, I fedback to a few Aliexpress sellers/reps such as Fiio (Jade Audio EA3), BLON (BL-05) and TRN (TRN VX) about the harsh upper mids/treble before. Westerners (in general) seem to dislike boosting this area as they find it fatiguing. I couldn't listen to the recently released TRN VX in stock form for more than 5 minutes due to this, had to use EQ or micropore mods.
I know you’re quite sensitive to boosted upper mids, as am I. How sensitive are you to treble, specifically the 8KHz boost? I find that my perception of the 8KHz boost is very dependent on the surrounding frequencies. If it is an isolated 8KHz boost, it can be very piercing to me, yet, if it has the same amplitude, but the curve is more pronounced around it, I find it more tolerable. Right now, my main example of a more isolated boost is the Shozy Form 1.1. I still can’t get really comfortable with it, unless I use foam tips. MP tape doesn’t help with the 8KHz peak much, it really helps more with boosted upper mids, say 2.5KHz to 5KHz it seems.

So far, from brief listening, I think you’ll like the Tin T2+. The upper mids have only a mild boost, without a pronounced pinna gain, so it’s not shouty. The 5.5KHz peak does make some sibilance a bit pronounced, but it’s not really that offensive. The 8Hz peak adds a lot of sparkle, and there is really good extension into the upper treble. My initial impression is that clarity and detail are very impressive, and easily on par with the T4, which is also approaching that of the FDX1. I don’t know which I like better yet, the T4 or T2+, but due to the less pronounced upper mids, I think you’ll like the T2+.

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #31,288 of 33,689
Sorry, what did I miss? Is the Hana so bad?

from what i catch, yes they are shouty but have great technical abilities and details. if you are listening to certain genre like classical and vocals, and on lower volume level, they will be good. But if you have upper mids - lower treble intense genres, and usually listen on higher volume level, im afraid pain is there

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #31,289 of 33,689
- Volume of gear played at (Fletcher Munson curve) -> at high volumes, sound is perceived to be more V shaped (boosted treble/bass), whereas it is more U shaped at softer volumes.

not so many take this seriously, but if you understand about these, this is very critical about sound perception. From my experience, if you hearing on lower volume, you will need upper mids + lower trebles boosted IEM to be sounded nice. but if you are hearing on higher volume level, depends on how loud, the [upper mids & lower trebles] will increase more than other frequencies.

take this my sketch illustration for example (doesn't resemble the exact resonance perception, for your illustration only)
FR fletcher.jpg
if an IEM is designed or tuned like the green curve on 50% volume, then a person who hear them on higher volume level will perceive a FR like a yellow one, let say on around 70%, while other people who are listening on 100% volume will perceive more in upper mids / lower trebles and trebles like the Red graphic.

of course all subjected to individual ear canals, and personal hearing.

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #31,290 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back