Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jan 18, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #29,656 of 33,689

Uh oh.. Finally the jade audio EA3 are arrived, together with LZ A6 mini.

Will post my early impressions on each dedicated thread later.
A pair of very good iems, LZ A6mini is the winner

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #29,657 of 33,689
Definitely not brighter than the Blons. I taped the BL-03's nozzle's off by 80% to remove some brightness.

Fair enough. There may have been some 'shoutiness' in some registers that I misinterpreted as brightness outside of the IEM's regular character.

I will do some more testing so that I can get more impressions.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #29,658 of 33,689
Fair enough. There may have been some 'shoutiness' in some registers that I misinterpreted as brightness outside of the IEM's regular character.

I will do some more testing so that I can get more impressions.
The Moondrop Starfield do have an elevated upper midrange which reduced with micropore tape (90% of nozzle covered). Added weight to voices and reduced fatigue. The Diamonds aresmoother in the midrange but less crisp.

Jan 19, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #29,659 of 33,689
More impressions

I did some more listening yesterday, at least 2 hours worth. I specifically compared the BL-03 to the Diamond, using the FiiO E10K from a PC.

Both IEMs were using stock cables. I have CP145M tips in the BL-03, and CP145L tips in the Diamond. [The CP145 may lose bass, but they are giving me a slightly better seal over time than the stock black silicone tips.]

I tried two different kinds of music in particular: music centering prominent female vocals, and electronic music, mostly the long remastered recording of Tubular Bells [it was a fun test for the CNT-1].

From the female vocalists, I found that female vocals are more silky on the Diamond.

BLON is more cloudy, Diamond is more ethereal.

Edith Piaf sounds great with either.

The Diamond is crisper and more detailed. Bass is tighter and more contained. Guitar is more whimsical.

Next, I compared the Diamond with the BL-03 in "Tubular Bells" over and over again, specifically the passage from ~15 minutes to ~35 minutes.

It was this test that revealed the relative technical and tuning weaknesses of the BLON to me, even though the BL-03 sounds enjoyable on its own.

So here are my impressions:

Tubular Bells (15:00-35:00)

Instruments are more realistic on Diamond, more synthetic on BL-03. BL-03 sounds more like a recording, Diamond sounds more live.

BL-03 maybe even sounds scratchy in comparison. Veiled and granular. Muddy.
Diamond is sharper.

There is better separation and layering with the Diamond. Instruments and their positioning are more distinct.

There is definite bass-bloat on the BL-03 that is much reduced with the Diamond. The bass is so resonant and present in the BL-03 that it dominates the signature, even guitar timbre.

The bass on the Diamond sounds more powerful and more distinct. It is not blended as much, but operates harmoniously in the background.

The most noticeable differences between the Diamond and the BL-03 in this performance are the vocals (clearer, softer, and more airy on the Diamond), the guitars (much more natural on the Diamond), and the superior layering, imaging, and separation on the Diamond.

This is not to say that the BL-03 sounded bad, because it didn't, but I would say that the Diamond demonstrated superior technicalities and tuning in this passage.

This was from one session, so my impressions might change if I listened again today. But it might be worth listening to this passage for a few minutes with both IEMs. Also, I should have started the track at 14:00, so I could get more guitars in.

Jan 21, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #29,660 of 33,689
Hey guys,

I currently own a pair of ATH-M40x cans and am looking for something more portable (preferably IEMs). I'll be using this mostly for taking calls, listening to podcasts and music (Pop, Jazz, Indie, Bollywood, Classic Rock, Instrumental and Electronic) on the go, using my phone/Macbook.

I'm open to both wired and wireless options and have no preference for any particular brand as long as it's a great value for money.

Looking forward to your recommendations :)

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #29,661 of 33,689
Jan 21, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #29,662 of 33,689
Here's a double A-side featuring reviews of two Harman-tuned IEMs, Tanchjim Oxygen vs Moondrop Starfield.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/23159/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/23177/

Starfield-01.jpg

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #29,663 of 33,689
Hey guys,

I currently own a pair of ATH-M40x cans and am looking for something more portable (preferably IEMs). I'll be using this mostly for taking calls, listening to podcasts and music (Pop, Jazz, Indie, Bollywood, Classic Rock, Instrumental and Electronic) on the go, using my phone/Macbook.

I'm open to both wired and wireless options and have no preference for any particular brand as long as it's a great value for money.

Looking forward to your recommendations :)

V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #29,666 of 33,689
You said preferably IEMs ... nothing can beat BLON BL-03 for that price.

What others have you tried to come to this conclusion? Personally I've got quite a few that I prefer over the BL-03, in the end it all comes down to personal preference.

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #29,668 of 33,689
The blons are great under 50$ but there are better options in terms of technical performance.
For example, TRN V90, ZSX and CCA C12 are technically better with no doubts.
The blons win in timbre, coherency.. they just feel like a more mature product, just that, but they miss the precision and the accuracy/separation of the other 3.

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #29,669 of 33,689
Thanks Ziggomatic. Looks like this one’s out of budget. Any suggestions under $50?

Sorry, missed the IEM part. If you can stretch your budget a bit, the new DUNU DM-480 ($69) is really good for out and about stuff. Fun tuning with great sub-bass, comfortable, with good noise isolation. Good luck!

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #29,670 of 33,689
I am enjoying my TRN BA5 with the Faaeal Hibiscus cable. I have looked on Ali Express for an MMCX version but can't find one. Does anyone have a link? TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back