Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Nov 6, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #28,081 of 33,689
My first impressions of the Shuoer Tape. I'm really impressed with the imaging in particular.

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #28,082 of 33,689
Any recommendations for DD hybrid between $200-300?
Tonality not that important I EQ everything I just want good performing DD with good BA details.

LZ-A6, fantastic detail retrieval :)

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #28,083 of 33,689
Nov 7, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #28,084 of 33,689
My personal take is in the budget CHIFI segment there's probably an element of marketing gimick for the brands claiming different material coatings used on drivers. Maybe to set themselves apart from the competition.
Though I think in the higher priced segments, the beryllium drivers may make a true difference like in the Utopia headphones?

Anyway, the official DUNU folks here on headfi made some interesting comment about the lining/material of drivers:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-2968#post-15288735
I think it needs to be coated and implented properly to truly make a difference.

Well I'm no physics or audio engineer so maybe the others can chime in too.

I posted my thoughts on this on discord a while back about doping plastic with beryllium or any metal. People who say it doesn't change anything... well it's going to change something right? The material properties are inherently going to change if you deposit another material on it. For a driver, stiffness matters a lot -- or at least that's what I am assuming. If you have a soft plastic which doesn't have a high modulus of elasticity, then putting a layer of metal will increase it's stiffness. That said, if you coat too little or too much it may affect other things too. And that's not to say that the coating could also be brittle or other factors.

So, yea, I believe the proper combination of base material thickness and coating thickness can inherently change the properties to make it sound better, or sound worse than the original material.

(I'm a materials engineer by trade -- and i'm also listening to my beryllium-coated Verite right now haha)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #28,085 of 33,689
Haven't received it yet, I'll answer you next week :wink:
How much is the A6 mini going for? I haven't had an LZ earphone since the A4, and that sadly ended up with my ex-wife.

Nov 7, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #28,086 of 33,689
I posted my thoughts on this on discord a while back about doping plastic with beryllium or any metal. People who say it doesn't change anything... well it's going to change something right? The material properties are inherently going to change if you deposit another material on it. For a driver, stiffness matters a lot -- or at least that's what I am assuming. If you have a soft plastic which doesn't have a high modulus of elasticity, then putting a layer of metal will increase it's stiffness. That said, if you coat too little or too much it may affect other things too. And that's not to say that the coating could also be brittle or other factors.

So, yea, I believe the proper combination of base material thickness and coating thickness can inherently change the properties to make it sound better, or sound worse than the original material.

(I'm a materials engineer by trade -- and i'm also listening to my beryllium-coated Verite right now haha)

Yeah fully agree with u, I do believe these materials work, but the question is whether the budget CHIFI segment are riding on it for marketing purposes or these budget CHIFI truly implement the coating/materials on the drivers properly.
That's why I quoted the DUNU reps as them saying it needs to be coated properly and implemented properly to truly make a difference: "The PVD layer has to be thick enough and the microscopic grain pattern has to be regular enough to confer that pistonic motion beryllium is so famous for. That's why our sub-$100 products (DM-380 and DM-480) are still titanium drivers. Even the TITAN 6, at $139, is only coated on one side."

Even DUNU says they have difficulty implementing this in their sub $100 USD gear. We see unit variation already in macroscopic areas in these budget CHIFI in terms of sound and build, so I'm a bit skeptical that some $30 - 50 USD CHIFI budget IEMs can ensure good QC for all their units when it comes to microscopic application of these materials. (Though maybe I might be wrong and maybe these Chinese companies can somehow do the microscopic applications of coating with low costs).
But definitely for the more expensive and established brands with products like the Verites and Utopia, I've no doubt they can ensure consistent QC on a microscopic level and this makes a difference for the coating (and hence also adds to the cost).

How much is the A6 mini going for? I haven't had an LZ earphone since the A4, and that sadly ended up with my ex-wife.

I saw the A6 mini on AE for around $130 during sales previously. Strangely, on taobao, it is sometimes at $56ish USD, but taobao as I understand is more catered to the domestic China clientiele and you would need to be proficient in Chinese to communicate with the sellers.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #28,087 of 33,689

It's ~$50 on Taobao if you can buy it from there. On AE they're at least a $100 more :frowning2:

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #28,088 of 33,689
Any recommendations for DD hybrid between $200-300?
Tonality not that important I EQ everything I just want good performing DD with good BA details.
LZ A6, IT03, FLC8N, OH300

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #28,089 of 33,689
hi, is there somwhere i can find some info on these chifi companies, their history, their moto, their size, do they develop their own drivers or use off the shelve drivers from bigger brands ? who is a subbrand of who (kz, cca) and why subbrands if they sell similar products at similar prices, thanks

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #28,090 of 33,689
hi, is there somwhere i can find some info on these chifi companies, their history, their moto, their size, who is a subbrand of who (kz, cca) and why subbrands if they sell similar products at similar prices, thanks

The one and only CHIFI motto all of us follow now is BLON (Belief, Let Music Burn, Oppoty, Never Give Up).

3d92ya.jpg

Anyway on a serious note, there are many CHIFI companies, so this will be quite a task to garner all the info.
But KZ is probably the biggest player in the budget CHIFI segment. Their sister company is CCA, and they make OEMs for other smaller companies like Tripowin. And I think some other companies like TRN broke off from KZ. Previously CCA was marketed as a sort of less V shaped tuning than the usual V shaped KZ tuning, but the recent CCA C12/KZ ZSX releases turned this opinion on its head. So I've no idea why these companies are forming sister brands with IEMs that are sort of competing. Maybe it's to diversify risks and increase sales?

Maybe u can google about these companies for their history and motto --> notable but not exhaustable list of CHIFI include:
- Audiosense
- Auglamour
- BGVP
- BLON
- BQEYZ
- Dunu
- Einsear
- FAAEAL
- Fearless Audio
- FIIO
- Hifi boy
- Hifiman
- Hisenior
- iBasso
- IKKO
- Hidizs
- Kinera
- Kbear
- KZ/CCA
- LZ
- Macaw
- Magaosi
- Moondrop
- NiceHCK
- NS audio
- Ostry
- Pai audio
- QDC
- Semkarch
- Shouer
- Shozy
- Simgot
- Superlux
- Takstar
- Tanchjim
- Tenmark
- TFZ
- Tin HIFI/Tin Audio
- Toneking (previously musicmaker)
- Tripowin
- TRN
- UiiSii
- Venture electronics
- Vsonic
- Whizzer
- 1More

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, maybe the others can add more that I've left out.
Some brands are banned here so u might need to look at other forums.
You can also ask some CHIFI industry insiders like kopiokaya?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #28,093 of 33,689
The one and only CHIFI motto all of us follow now is BLON (Belief, Let Music Burn, Oppoty, Never Give Up).

Anyway on a serious note, there are many CHIFI companies, so this will be quite a task to garner all the info.
But KZ is probably the biggest player in the budget CHIFI segment. Their sister company is CCA, and they make OEMs for other smaller companies like Tripowin. And I think some other companies like TRN broke off from KZ. Previously CCA was marketed as a sort of less V shaped tuning than the usual V shaped KZ tuning, but the recent CCA C12/KZ ZSX releases turned this opinion on its head. So I've no idea why these companies are forming sister brands with IEMs that are sort of competing. Maybe it's to diversify risks and increase sales?

Maybe u can google about these companies for their history and motto --> notable but not exhaustable list of CHIFI include:
- Audiosense
- Auglamour
- BGVP
- BLON
- BQEYZ
- Dunu
- Einsear
- FAAEAL
- Fearless Audio
- FIIO
- Hifi boy
- Hifiman
- Hisenior
- iBasso
- IKKO
- Hidizs
- Kinera
- Kbear
- KZ/CCA
- LZ
- Macaw
- Magaosi
- Moondrop
- NiceHCK
- NS audio
- Ostry
- Pai audio
- QDC
- Semkarch
- Shouer
- Shozy
- Simgot
- Superlux
- Takstar
- Tanchjim
- Tenmark
- TFZ
- Tin HIFI/Tin Audio
- Toneking (previously musicmaker)
- Tripowin
- TRN
- UiiSii
- Venture electronics
- Vsonic
- Whizzer
- 1More

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, maybe the others can add more that I've left out.
Some brands are banned here so u might need to look at other forums.
You can also ask some CHIFI industry insiders like kopiokaya?

Astrotec
Brainwavz
FLC
Ourart
Shanling
SoundMagic
xDuoo

And plenty more cheap brands listed at https://audiobudget.com

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #28,094 of 33,689
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #28,095 of 33,689
I try to love the TRN V90...really do....cause technicaly its very capable.
Imaging, clarity, details, soundstage deepness=Wow.
Timbre=thin, dryish.
Bass=too much sub bass not enough mid bass so it lack punch (i read here people suggest these for punch WTH!?)
Mids=kinda artificial and thin and some upper mids sibilance can occur.
Treble=quite impressive, sharp with good brilliance without being trebly.

Anyway, i can understand why people dig the V90, but i prefer a more calibrated low end as well as lusher mid range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back