Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 25, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #22,246 of 33,689
I'll find out later than sooner: mine is arriving tomorrow. I'll burn in for 8 days but will be out of the country in the meantime. I may have to burn it in over two continents (I hope the Coriolis force won't screw that up). Wonder whether my hotel room comes with a burn-in device.

Maybe I could speed the burn-in process up by putting it in the microwave or bake in the oven at 220C.

Hope that I won't be burnt out after so much burning in :wink:.

My speculation: the N3 will sound like a can opener...before and after burn in.
Here they are, the NiceHCK N3 -- presently burning in for the next 125 hours.

Here my burn-in maths:

A 440 Hz signal creates 440 driver cycles a second. That's 158.4 Mio cycles in 100 hours.

A 10 kHz signal creates 10,000 driver cycles a second. That's 3.6 Billion cycles in 100 hours or 7.2 Billion cycles in 200 hours. Or 1 Billionth of the US government's debt.

How many billion cycles does it take to break in an earphone?

IMG_0189.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #22,247 of 33,689
Feb 25, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #22,248 of 33,689
How do we know if we are breaking them in or breaking them down?
My word all along. But apparently, this one is reported to sound not great right out of the box. I'll have nothing to lose.

But what I can say right now: they feel good.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #22,249 of 33,689
My word all along. But apparently, this one is reported to sound not great right out of the box. I'll have nothing to lose.

I know. I do it as much as I can... just in case... currently burning in a couple of buds.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #22,250 of 33,689
I know. I do it as much as I can... just in case... currently burning in a couple of buds.
As to dynamic drivers...experts think 5 seconds of break-in should be enough to get the right flex in the membrane...that's 50,000 driver cycles at 10 kHz.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #22,251 of 33,689
How many billion cycles does it take to break in an earphone?

I’m not sure, but it takes 364 licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #22,252 of 33,689
Sound - yes. Comfort - no. But I can live with that concerning better sound.
I feel the Oxygen has a better sound than the KP too IMO. YMMV.

Also, just wrapped up my review of the Penon Draco, a limited edition 16 core silver cable with jade used in its components. Enjoy & Happy Listening! :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #22,253 of 33,689
Nice review and pictures as always. Been waiting for your review since you're the one that have been try so many chifi in $100-500 region. Not so many have done that. Is the Oxygen significantly better than Kanas Pro? or just by a little? because Oxygen is like 1.5X price of Kanas Pro. Oh how many hours burn in your Kanas Pro is at the time you reviewed them? because this DLC really benefits from burn in process ( a lot of differences at 0 hours to 20 hours to 50 hours and maybe there is no big differences after past 80-90 hours). Anyway your reviews really described what I heard from Kanas Pro. Great review!

First of all - always consider that fact that we are all different and perceive sound in different ways.
For me - Oxygen do sound quite better due to more body to each sound in mids and more open bass. Oxygen also feels being more neutral and smooth. That are the main advatages.
I didn't count the hours of listening to MKP or Oxygen, probably more than 50 hours already for both.
Sorry, I don't share the theory of burn-in period (as different measurements clearly show the absence of changes in figures before and after burn-in) but I do believe that your ears are adapting to IEMs over time and that is why its sound gets better.
Thanks for the feedback!!!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #22,254 of 33,689
I feel the Oxygen has a better sound than the KP too IMO. YMMV.

Also, just wrapped up my review of the Penon Draco, a limited edition 16 core silver cable with jade used in its components. Enjoy & Happy Listening! :)

good. it means that it is not only me who hears that about Oxygen to MKP comparison.... Thanks. Some proof from another person, at last.

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #22,255 of 33,689
Here is my full review of hyped Moondrop Kanas Pro (and comparison to other popular IEMs).

Link to my blog
On HeadFi

Very nice review, thanks !

Nothing to do with KPE, but what's your take on Tanchjim Oxygen vs LZ A6 (full version) ? You prefer the Oxygen even compared to the A6 (maybe you already covered this somewhere, but I missed it, in that case:))?

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #22,257 of 33,689
Very nice review, thanks !

Nothing to do with KPE, but what's your take on Tanchjim Oxygen vs LZ A6 (full version) ? You prefer the Oxygen even compared to the A6 (maybe you already covered this somewhere, but I missed it, in that case:))?

Thanks. Personally - yes, I prefer Oxygen over A6 full version. I admit that A6 sound is technically better - larger stage, better treble extension and detalization, more resolution. But I am always in love with more neutral sound in overall and searching for more calm presentation for long listening. So, this is just the personal preferences. Moreover, A6 are way more expensive IEMs that's why I am not doing the direct comparison. Very unfair.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #22,258 of 33,689
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #22,259 of 33,689
Here is my full review of hyped Moondrop Kanas Pro (and comparison to other popular IEMs).
Link to my blog
On HeadFi

First of all - always consider that fact that we are all different and perceive sound in different ways.
For me - Oxygen do sound quite better due to more body to each sound in mids and more open bass. Oxygen also feels being more neutral and smooth. That are the main advatages.
I didn't count the hours of listening to MKP or Oxygen, probably more than 50 hours already for both.
Sorry, I don't share the theory of burn-in period (as different measurements clearly show the absence of changes in figures before and after burn-in) but I do believe that your ears are adapting to IEMs over time and that is why its sound gets better.
...and slightly recessed mids
Despite slight recession, mids are still well exposed.
I`m currently... like... What?:open_mouth:
If I concentrate on words slightly , then I understand but when I see words recessed I`m confused.

First of all, I`m not going to express myself with following in manner of wanting to "defend" something I have and really like. Nor do I wish my item to be "better" than Yours.
I do not care what brand or how hyped it is or "who has better". All I care about is sound to my ears.

We all hear differently, have different setups, use different tips, have different preferences etc. ...I understand that, clearly.
But still... KPE has recessed mids? I just have to say it out loud... do not agree a bit with it.

Ok, I have not tried so many IEMs at higher price as You but when I look at different KPE graphs from different measuring setups... recessed mids? Hmmm...
Some Kanas Pro measurements:
T3%2Bvs%2BDM6%2Bvs%2BKanas%2BPro.jpg

KP-Tips.jpg

9939352_l.jpg
Looks pretty darn "neutral" and good in mids imo. Yes it has slight "cave" in 600-1K area but it is very small and to my ears un-noticeable with music.
Just for reference, here are some FR explaining MUSIC instruments/sounds:
9939709_l.png
To me, with my gear and ears, midrange sounds just great with different instruments and female/male vocals.

Another thing - the burn-in thing. I`m not here to prove something but if one person is so certain in something not happening (due to lack of proof on large research basis and methods) it could be as well taken as "expectation bias" from other side and I would like to oppose objectively - You can`t measure dynamic driver only at one certain SPL/dB and expect it to be same with MUSIC where all different frequencies (instruments/sounds) are played simultaneously and depend a lot on mastering and characteristic or source gear. That`s why it is hard to measure "burn-in". If You look at other DLC dynamic driver IEMs, then there is plenty of ppl impressions having/hearing difference with OOTB vs. many hours behind back without listening to it, so, brain-burn in isn`t involved always (I also do "burn-in" this way). Of course, there is always expectation bias. In my experience (I did not expect it to happen in THAT way), 50h is nothing to KPE. Producer also recommends 100h playtime period and many users seem to agree. I haven`t noticed changes with my KPE from 90+h foward (started continious listening sessions from about 110h). It`s not only KPE - for example IT01S is another example.

I don`t know what`s the exact case is here and why I think so differently about KPE mids:confused:
Your HiBY R6Pro has more than enough power (a lot more than my DX5X) and also low output impedance, so, that isn`t the case.
KPE is although know for being very revealing to source gear -
The only difference that forces me to give my own evaluation is the combination with HiBY R6Pro DAP as a source.
- maybe that`s the case? Along with more mids-boosted-oriented subjective personal preference? Maybe Harman target oriented FR curve isn`t Your thingy?
I know from my own "exploration" that near Harman FR curve IEM`s are great match for me though and sound natural&lifelike to my ears.

Anyway I hope I didn`t came out "harsh" or attacking with my point of view! :wink:
Maybe I should have concentrated on words slightly more, so my irrelevant opinion would have stayed within my mind :D

Once again, we all hear differently and there are many factors between music and sound ending up in our "conciousness".

I wish I could try out and compare Oxygen myself but since I found my personal TOTL IEM in KPE (slightly modded by now) within my max price bracket (there certainly are better out there), It probably won`t happen unless I meet someone local who lends me his/hers.

Anyway, still good review from You! Throws some pitch into honey-pot :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #22,260 of 33,689

Thanks. Personally - yes, I prefer Oxygen over A6 full version. I admit that A6 sound is technically better - larger stage, better treble extension and detalization, more resolution. But I am always in love with more neutral sound in overall and searching for more calm presentation for long listening. So, this is just the personal preferences. Moreover, A6 are way more expensive IEMs that's why I am not doing the direct comparison. Very unfair.

No problem, i know there is no exact proof of burn in, I do believe but not that extreme also, i just put iems to burn in first, its free and nothing worng here, if it will make earphones sound better, why not. Its not that big difference, but just sharing, not trying to be over hyperbole also. I left my iem to burn in and never heard them, then pick up for 5 minutes session and let it on burn in process again eventually. So your MKP and Tanchjim Oxygen both on 50 hours or more already well burned in, from your words, Oxygen are more neutral or flat, like studio monitor iem than MKP (yes MKP is balanced, but not neutral flat, more like slight U shape with big sub bass, and forward high mids). Out of my budget limit right now, but definitely will put Oxygen on my list. Thanks for this explanation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back