Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jan 23, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #21,586 of 33,689
So in other words, measurements for:

1. stock (foam and black filter).
2. foam removed, but WITH black filter
3. foam removed AND black filter removed

There has been some discussion recently about FR graphs. I think they can be useful for highlighting such things as channel imbalance, poorly implemented crossovers producing dips and peaks around the crossover frequency and showing up faulty drivers, but their usefulness for indicating sound quality is less certain.
For example you could listen to two CD players and they may sound very different but their FR graphs would most likely be identical: a straight line between DC and 22.05kHz. This got me thinking about the whole replay chain.
From the original microphone, to digital conversion and transfer to CD. This CD may then be inserted into a PC and ripped to mp3 with all its concomitant distortion and compression. This mp3 file will then be transferred to a DAP or phone with its own sound characteristics. Finally a set of IEMs will be plugged in with a FR curve more resembling a mountain range than a straight line. After all this, the fact we can hear anything approaching the original sound is, quite frankly, miraculous!

Jitter/resampling is a time domain issue that doesn't really show in a FR plot. It should show up in Distortion measurements. Then there is a threshold of our human hearing that is able to detect it, but if it is below the threshold of detection who cares? (If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear did it make any noise?) I will give you an example, listening to a track ripped at 48Khz, when the original was 44.1Khz. I had some tracks like this and the cymbals just sounded off (garbled), then I ripped again at 44.1Khz and all was right with the world. Same issue with 96Khz sampling rate, 88.2Khz is a better option if original was 44.1khz because it keeps the timing correct (2x mutliplier), but no new information will be present.

Well, that is where FR is only one piece of the pie, that is the semi easy part but it is known that anything above 10khz or even 8khz is just extra info that we cannot accurately measure. There was a reason Tyll went further with impulse and square wave plots to get s sense of some other characteristics that are masked in a semi simple FR plot.

I like Otto Motor's simple comment, a FR plot will give us a Quantity measurement (or signature flavor), but it does not tell us the Quality. We have to rely on people's subjective reviews and comparisons for more information.

Having said all that, I will provide FR charts of requested MH755 mods but we might not see the changes with the FR plot, here were some mods suggested in the MH1 thread and how it affected the the sound.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mh1-r-d-story-and-discussion.634193/page-6#post-8843651

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #21,587 of 33,689
Jitter/resampling is a time domain issue that doesn't really show in a FR plot. It should show up in Distortion measurements. Then there is a threshold of our human hearing that is able to detect it, but if it is below the threshold of detection who cares? (If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear did it make any noise?) I will give you an example, listening to a track ripped at 48Khz, when the original was 44.1Khz. I had some tracks like this and the cymbals just sounded off (garbled), then I ripped again at 44.1Khz and all was right with the world. Same issue with 96Khz sampling rate, 88.2Khz is a better option if original was 44.1khz because it keeps the timing correct (2x mutliplier), but no new information will be present.

Well, that is where FR is only one piece of the pie, that is the semi easy part but it is known that anything above 10khz or even 8khz is just extra info that we cannot accurately measure. There was a reason Tyll went further with impulse and square wave plots to get s sense of some other characteristics that are masked in a semi simple FR plot.

I like Otto Motor's simple comment, a FR plot will give us a Quantity measurement (or signature flavor), but it does not tell us the Quality. We have to rely on people's subjective reviews and comparisons for more information.

Having said all that, I will provide FR charts of requested MH755 mods but we might not see the changes with the FR plot, here were some mods suggested in the MH1 thread and how it affected the the sound.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mh1-r-d-story-and-discussion.634193/page-6#post-8843651

Agreed. I understand that the differences may not show up on a graph. This is why when tuning, I trust my ears every time.

And like you said, who cares? In the grand scheme of things, the foam removal makes the MH755 sound better. I don’t need a FR chart to tell me that. The results can be heard, which is what really matters in the end.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #21,588 of 33,689
Agreed. I understand that the differences may not show up on a graph. This is why when tuning, I trust my ears every time.

And like you said, who cares? In the grand scheme of things, the foam removal makes the MH755 sound better. I don’t need a FR chart to tell me that. The results can be heard, which is what really matters in the end.

As I always say we all hear them differently and with Graph readings we still all hear them differently, this hobby is so subjective and the bottom line always is what sounds good to ones own ears regardless of graphs and science every rig and iem/can I wear has some slight if not major sound difference or signature if you will.

Jan 23, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #21,589 of 33,689
My apologies as I'm unfamiliar with the Hidizs Seeds? I was referring to the Kinera Seeds as I have those and the IDUN's:beerchug:

Oh, sorry. I have all of them - Hidizs Seeds, Kinera Seed, Kinera Idun, Dawnwood ST08. Yes, if to choose from Kinera Seed and Dawnwood - I would go with Dawnwood - more bass, better midbass. Kinera Seed are not bad but kind of very neutral and less amusing. Better resolution, though. Idun outperform all of those in evey aspect except deep bass presence... Idun Deluxe should be even better choice.

Jan 23, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #21,590 of 33,689
Oh, sorry. I have all of them - Hidizs Seeds, Kinera Seed, Kinera Idun, Dawnwood ST08. Yes, if to choose from Kinera Seed and Dawnwood - I would go with Dawnwood - more bass, better midbass. Kinera Seed are not bad but kind of very neutral and less amusing. Better resolution, though. Idun outperform all of those in evey aspect except deep bass presence... Idun Deluxe should be even better choice.

THX for your take on all those, I love my IDUN's too and I'm not much of a bass head and for the most part don't generally have sibilance problems even with some of the notorious KZ but them again I've always at least for me found the heart of the music I prefer to live in the Mids and highs:beerchug:

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #21,591 of 33,689
I've got plenty of those as well (not all are here, check my signature)

Anyway, DarkSide and Oxygen are hard to compare. Totally different price tags and totally different quality of sound as the result. Oxygen are better in any aspect (resolution, extension, clarity, accuracy, stage, etc) although both are warm and share the same size|shape.
Oxygen vs Kanas pro, that is what we want to see

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #21,595 of 33,689
I went back and redid my measurements of the Tenhz T5. The 10k peak is not as rolled-off as my initial measurements made it appear.

wait, I assume you're the one who also posted in Crin's discord? I was meaning to ask you on how the T5 is, since bisonicr recently released his review on it and said the mids felt a bit, weird?

but I'm quite appalled at the amount of chi-fi hate in that chat, so horrible.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #21,597 of 33,689
Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #21,598 of 33,689
Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #21,600 of 33,689
wait, I assume you're the one who also posted in Crin's discord? I was meaning to ask you on how the T5 is, since bisonicr recently released his review on it and said the mids felt a bit, weird?

but I'm vomiting at the amount of shilling and chi-fi hate in that chat, so horrible.
Yeah, that's me.
The thing about the T5s is that they have really thick lower mids without a rise in the upper mids, which is generally not my preference. A small EQ boost between 2-4k helps a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back