Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Aug 27, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #17,446 of 33,689
I am surprised about the surprise of tacit revisions. We had this all along...for example, the earliest KZ ZST (or was it the ZS3?) were totally out of whack in their tuning and were instantly revised...which delayed my shipment by 4 weeks or so.

Hey, and thanks to everybody for an interesting discussion.

B9 is hording V80s... :). I wished I also had the matte one.

The ZS3 was delayed because they were recalled from sellers due to the sound tubes being crushed on accident. It was not because of reviews.

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #17,447 of 33,689
I completely agree with this. I bought the V80 due to all the positive reviews of them being well balanced. However, the treble is a bit much if you pump up the volume. At low to "average" listening levels, the balance between lows, mids and highs is impeccable. However, when you approach and exceed "average" listening levels (like when you really want to jam out and bob your head to something), the treble scaling gets out of proportion and gets very sharp very fast and is painful to listen to.

Anyone have a good recommendation for IEMs that reproduce the Sennheiser sound (lots of mid detail without overwhelming bass or treble)?

For me, the V80 doesn't sound bright but every now and then (very track/instrument dependent) a sound will leap out and stab your ears with glass shards. It's the one weakness that makes the V80 "very good" instead of "great" (IMO).

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #17,448 of 33,689
That BWEYZ KC2 is getting good reviews and in the video seems above the T2 at least for stage size and imaging. Perhaps that should be one of your choices :)
The quality differences in that segment are so small that it is painful for the reviewer to pick out the nuances - and painful for the reader to make up their mind. I recommend going by the big picture, for example, amount of bass or treble...according to one's preferences. Or go by build.

The latest models are, for example, compared here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bqeyz-kc2-2-ba-2-dd-earphone.23272/reviews#review-20792

There may be a big jump when you double the price as pointed out by B9 here earlier today (the TFZ King).

I tell you my crooked logic for making a buying decision: I first went to established manufacturers who have lots of well-reviewed headphones but only a single earphone model (Focal, B&W, NAD)...assuming they can't be bad. Alternatively, I try to get the top of the line Chifi iem of a certain brand such as TRN. The reason why I have been shying back from TFZ so far is the fact - I was told - they have heir particular in-house tuning...and when I get the intermediate model, I probably want their top model, too, which costs way more. This will be a bottomless cup in no time. The other logic for buying in a certain price category is threat of loss. Going back to the Sony Walkman [for explanation what that was, send me a PM] in the early to mid 80s, I bought one of their basic models knowing that there is less money lost when I drop it. Head-Fiers reported to have lost iems out of their coat pockets...which would be devastating in the case of, let's say, the Campfire Andromeda.

Speaking of Killer Deals - Canadians only - thanks to @groucho69 ...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #17,449 of 33,689
since changed my source from op2 to benjie s5 i have been listening to bosshifi b3 a lot
i really like them but the thing which bothers me is that 3k peak which makes me uncomfortable, the overall presentation is smooth with great clarity

is there any way to get a custom eq in benjie s5?
also, i am looking for a sub-50$ iem with v shape big bass and soundstage with smooth presentation with 0 harshness
i posted this question before but got only two reasonable responses
1) Bqezy KC2
2) ToneKing Nine Tail ( Way outta my budget)
i need more responses in order to shortlist them to my preferences

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #17,450 of 33,689
The quality differences in that segment are so small that it is painful for the reviewer to pick out the nuances - and painful for the reader to make up their mind. I recommend going by the big picture, for example, amount of bass or treble...according to one's preferences. Or go by build.

The latest models are, for example, compared here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bqeyz-kc2-2-ba-2-dd-earphone.23272/reviews#review-20792

There may be a big jump when you double the price as pointed out by B9 here earlier today (the TFZ King).

I tell you my crooked logic for making a buying decision: I first went to established manufacturers who have lots of well-reviewed headphones but only a single earphone model (Focal, B&W, NAD)...assuming they can't be bad. Alternatively, I try to get the top of the line Chifi iem of a certain brand such as TRN. The reason why I have been shying back from TFZ so far is the fact - I was told - they have heir particular in-house tuning...and when I get the intermediate model, I probably want their top model, too, which costs way more. This will be a bottomless cup in no time. The other logic for buying in a certain price category is threat of loss. Going back to the Sony Walkman [for explanation what that was, send me a PM] in the early to mid 80s, I bought one of their basic models knowing that there is less money lost when I drop it. Head-Fiers reported to have lost iems out of their coat pockets...which would be devastating in the case of a, let's say, the Campfire Andromeda.

Speaking of Killer Deals - Canadians only - thanks to @groucho69 ...

The good thing about TFZ, or bad depending on how you look at it, is that if you buy a mid-tier model there is almost no point getting an upper level model. You're getting most of the performance at what essentially amounts to a huge discount. Yeah, you're giving up the nicer materials, but if sound is what matters most then you're set. That's why the Excl. 3, Series 2 and My Love II are my go to recommendations for that brand.

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #17,451 of 33,689
The good thing about TFZ, or bad depending on how you look at it, is that if you buy a mid-tier model there is almost no point getting an upper level model. You're getting most of the performance at what essentially amounts to a huge discount. Yeah, you're giving up the nicer materials, but if sound is what matters most then you're set. That's why the Excl. 3, Series 2 and My Love II are my go to recommendations for that brand.
Great, very useful info, but one has to know that. Now we do :)

More on buying decisions: I had mentioned this German site before - it is a bit on the lighter side but well done and quite useful. Google Translate extension for Chrome brings it automatically into broken English - you know this from audiofight.info:

https://david-hahn.wixsite.com/chi-fiear

P.S. David had to fix his KZ mentionings as Google Chrome automatically translated KZ into "concentration camp".

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #17,452 of 33,689
since changed my source from op2 to benjie s5 i have been listening to bosshifi b3 a lot
i really like them but the thing which bothers me is that 3k peak which makes me uncomfortable, the overall presentation is smooth with great clarity

is there any way to get a custom eq in benjie s5?
also, i am looking for a sub-50$ iem with v shape big bass and soundstage with smooth presentation with 0 harshness
i posted this question before but got only two reasonable responses
1) Bqezy KC2
2) ToneKing Nine Tail ( Way outta my budget)
i need more responses in order to shortlist them to my preferences
See if there are any deals on the Whizzer A15. That fits your description perfectly

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #17,453 of 33,689
See if there are any deals on the Whizzer A15. That fits your description perfectly
i recently heard from someone here on head fi (don't remember the name)about whizzer a15 that it's shell fell off due to bad glue within 3 months or so
which doesn't sound promising

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #17,455 of 33,689
Which review is this?

Kind of BS that review units would be sent out with 1 tuning, yet everyone else would receive differently tuned units. How can we trust any reviews then?

Or maybe it's a good thing? They listened to the reviewers and adjusted for the retail version? Would be interesting if they did.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #17,456 of 33,689

You gonna be getting the Galaxy T2 to test if that still holds for another $59 TFZ model?

Aug 27, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #17,460 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back