Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Aug 14, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #17,221 of 33,689
The Slipknot thing was a joke independent of your judgement...a band called Half Man Half Biscuit made a song about them...which I performed on location.

I wanted your song to continue:)

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #17,223 of 33,689
Aug 14, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #17,224 of 33,689
I saw them at ABC Glasgow on Sauchihall last October....Half Man Half Biscuit I mean (not Slipknot). When recording that blasphemy in Rome at the main entrance to St. Paul's, I had to make sure not to be killed by some crazy catholics....that's why the singing sounds somewhat reluctant.

Back to earphones. The PHB-023 surely feature quite an accessories package. I will take the advise of @TechnoidFR to heart and compare them to the KZ ZS6. My problem with the ZS6 is the 9K peak that is very unpleasant on my ears.

Finder-1.jpg

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #17,225 of 33,689
The Slipknot thing was a joke independent of your judgement...a band called Half Man Half Biscuit made a song about them...which I performed on location.

Oh sorry, i'm french so hum...i don't really understand :sweat_smile:

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #17,226 of 33,689
I saw them at ABC Glasgow on Sauchihall last October....Half Man Half Biscuit I mean (not Slipknot). When recording that blasphemy in Rome at the main entrance to St. Paul's, I had to make sure not to be killed by some crazy catholics....that's why the singing sounds somewhat reluctant.

Back to earphones. The PHB-023 surely feature quite an accessories package. I will take the advise of @TechnoidFR to heart and compare them to the KZ ZS6. My problem with the ZS6 is the 9K peak that is very unpleasant on my ears.

Yes I understand but with the USB C Cable it's not the same problem. It's less sibilant, more air, more neutral, more detail. With my Pro 6 plus it's less good.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #17,228 of 33,689
I have been listening all afternoon to three Andromeda lookalikes and the PHB-023 has the smoothest sound of all of them...and a bass that is tight and controlled but has a bit of silk added that makes it really addictive. First the 023 sounded somewhat unexciting - even boring - but they grew during a brain burn-in. Frequency response is as flat as a board from the sub bass right into the midrange.

I cannot confirm that the ZS6 is better at anything. It is similar sounding, lacks bass (texture) in comparison as well as the smooth mids and treble.

Nevertheless, if you own an Andromedaoid already, this one is redundant for you as it would be a side grade...they all are relatively similar sounding.

The PHB-023 is simply yet another really good sounding and crowd-pleasing new-generation <$50 hybrid that makes us appetite for the years to come. Nobody will be disappointed with them.

PHB-023 fR annotated 2-2.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #17,229 of 33,689
I have been listening all afternoon to three Andromeda lookalikes and the PHB-023 has the smoothest sound of all of them...and a bass that is tight and controlled but has a bit of silk added that makes it really addictive. First the 023 sounded somewhat unexciting - even boring - but they grew during a brain burn-in. Frequency response is as flat as a board from the sub bass right into the midrange.

I cannot confirm that the ZS6 is better at anything. It is similar sounding, lacks bass (texture) in comparison as well as the smooth mids and treble.

Nevertheless, if you own an Andromedaoid already, this one is redundant for you as it would be a side grade...they all are relatively similar sounding.

The PHB-023 is simply yet another really good sounding and crowd-pleasing new-generation <$50 hybrid that makes us appetite for the years to come. Nobody will be disappointed with them.

So much good stuff popping up in recent weeks! These look good, but there seems to be a dip between 500 and 1.5k Hz. Does this alter the midrange in any way?

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #17,230 of 33,689
So much good stuff popping up in recent weeks! These look good, but there seems to be a dip between 500 and 1.5k Hz. Does this alter the midrange in any way?
The rather gentle dip starts at 300-400 Hz and bottoms out at around 1 Hz. Well, since I have no comparison, I can only speculate: it thins out deeper voices a bit...but not too bad. On the good side, there is no excess energy at 500 Hz that muffles higher-frequency instruments.

A similar dip exists in the KZ ZS6 and TRN V80. No other Andromedaoid has fuller voices.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #17,231 of 33,689

What os your opinion compare tout zs6 ? In detaikd

Aug 14, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #17,232 of 33,689
What os your opinion compare tout zs6 ? In detaikd
Details coming in my review...the 023 sounds rounder and smoother with a more sophisticated bass and no pierce or sibilance (see the FR response curve I had posted earlier here).

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #17,233 of 33,689
Personally I prefer zs6

Better separation, better stereo, more air, more detail. I like this bright side but have sibilance. I am now used to this problem and music that is too bright is avoided. But the details brought by the zs6 are crazy. I tube them also very fun while being rather neutral

PHBs make me think much more about zs5. We have a very very close signature and an equivalent stereo. Even the details, from the less brilliant side, are very close. I really feel like these zs5 metal version. It's nice enough we must admit

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #17,234 of 33,689
Personally I prefer zs6

Better separation, better stereo, more air, more detail.

That's the treble peaks and the rolled-off sub bass (if it is real) ...but the treble peaks swindle a bit...

I reckon I will have to use my own test track, recorded in the Vatican...see earlier today.

KZ ZS6.jpg

PHB-023_fR_annotated_2-2.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #17,235 of 33,689

That's the treble peaks and the rolled-off sub bass...but the treble peaks swindle a bit...

Were both of those graphs measured on the same equipment (not the same IEM, but rather the same FR rig)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back