Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 16, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #16,025 of 33,689
20180616_152414.jpg

Feeling a bit patriotic with July 4th approaching..... I am liking the Ed16 but had to eq down the treble a bit. Big soundstage, tight fast bass and nice mids. Nice counterpoint to the ES4's thicker smoother sound. Hated the stock cable so will enjoy this look until the silver turns green.

Just noticed this cable is already greening.. Stole it from my ZS6.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #16,026 of 33,689

Feeling a bit patriotic with July 4th approaching..... I am liking the Ed16 but had to eq down the treble a bit. Big soundstage, tight fast bass and nice mids. Nice counterpoint to the ES4's thicker smoother sound. Hated the stock cable so will enjoy this look until the silver turns green.

I hated the cable too. Using the cable that came with my husband's ES4 as he is using something else.

Different ears, different sources...I am fine with the ED16 treble. Maybe my high frequency hearing rolls off sooner...or, maybe it is the silver cable.

Hope your cable never turns green!

Uh-oh..just saw your edit...

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #16,029 of 33,689
I hated the cable too. Using the cable that came with my husband's ES4 as he is using something else.

Different ears, different sources...I am fine with the ED16 treble. Maybe my high frequency hearing rolls off sooner...or, maybe it is the silver cable.

Hope your cable never turns green!

Uh-oh..just saw your edit...
You have a point.... I need to try a different cable and see if the treble mellows a bit.

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #16,030 of 33,689
Lol maybe ugly isn't the right word. I've just never been fond of that see through look on any electronics device. But the reviews sure look good, and the black one isn't that odd looking.......hmmmmm

That is why I wish they had offered the ES4 in red. The translucent red looks good on my ZS10. Would look the same on the ES4. I have seen the black one...not bad at all.

Here is my red ZS10... I think that is the TRN silver cable. I hope theirs do not turn green.

R0013453.JPG

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #16,031 of 33,689
What would you prefer instead in this price point?

Right now I like good warmth and controlled bass with good texture. My preference veer towards better sub bass body, a bit of mid bass spike is ok too. Mids should be lush and rich. Highs should not be too ear piercing. Mid bass bleed into midrange should be minimal. Overall the iem should be more musical and fun to listen to for extended period of time.

I have Tin Audio T2. It's certainly better technically, better than KZ ZS10. I tried Rock Zircon, Einsear T2, Swing IE800, KZ ZSR, KZ ES3, TRN V20, MEMT X5, KZ ZS10, KZ ES4 etc. Out of these I prefer ES4 and MEMT X5. ES4 is better than MEMT X5. Both are extremely versatile and ergonomically comfortable.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #16,033 of 33,689
I did not get this because of some reviewers saying these can be quite sibilant and for some part piercings highs.

I don't hear it that way but everyone is different.

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #16,035 of 33,689
I did not get this because of some reviewers saying these can be quite sibilant and for some part piercings highs.

Its similar to your thoughts of the T2 being technically better than the ZS10. Its highly subjective.

The T2 plays very well on almost any source, sounds very good straight out of any typical headphone jack. But it can be mildly sibilant on some tracks.

The ZS10 needs a little bit of amping to get the best out of its drivers, sibilance is almost non-existent on the same tracks. If I can pick out sibilance on it, usually I can also pick it out on my HD6xx, meaning that its the musical track that has issues.

Its NOT impressive out of most headphone jacks though.

Though sensitivity levels are supposedly similar between the T2 and ZS10.

Its also heavily dependent on the sources you're listening to. Like say if you listen to female vocals that have been heavily processed( a few tracks in the Adele 25 album for example), you're more likely to pick up the sibilance. But if you were listening to audiophile vocals that emphasise on the purity of recording, chances are the sibilance will not be noticeable, if at all.

For that matter, there are some who listen purely to instrumental music of multiple genres, for those folks, sibilance for 99.9% of the time will not be an apparent issue.

Which is why some people still love the ZS6, even though its heavily sibilant. But on purely instrumental stuff, they generally sound wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back