CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 20, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #31,561 of 31,867
*edit* double post.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #31,562 of 31,867
I'd suggest a dongle DAC first, that will improve upon sound from your phone. That should help with details, separation, imaging and power to drive anything more demanding. Huge range of options from around $10, as usual the sky's the limit. I use a Hiby FC3.

Salnotes Zero is very capable as a neutral tuned IEM.

Rock and EDM will benefit from a more impactful bass.

Experiment with eartips too, they make a huge difference. Much more than cables!

S12 Pro - rather expensive option compared to everything else you mentioned.
KHAN - Castor Bass Edition is cheaper and more recent, gives some tuning options with switches too.
Simgot EW200 - good IEM by all accounts.
Tripowin Piccolo - another good option that flew under the radar.
Kinera Celeste Pandamon - on sale for around $30 at Angelears on AE (weird faceplate but non-fatiguing tuning and very comfortable).

Start checking reviews, and keep in mind that everyone has their own personal preferences.
If you are in search of treble until your ears bleed, I am not the person to ask!:ksc75smile:

You will get more bang for your buck by waiting for sales and buying older models rather than the latest gear. Those are more likely to be discounted and will have much more feedback available. FOTM is driven largely by hype and marketing.
That are some great suggestions!
For me I like the Moondrop Chu 2 (cheap), the Fiio FD3 (more expensive, needs EQ) and I love the 1more Penta P50 (expensive), these things rock!
The etymotics are on my list but I read not so good things about build quality.
Welcome to this wonderful hobby btw!

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #31,564 of 31,867
I'd suggest a dongle DAC first, that will improve upon sound from your phone. That should help with details, separation, imaging and power to drive anything more demanding. Huge range of options from around $10, as usual the sky's the limit. I use a Hiby FC3.

Salnotes Zero is very capable as a neutral tuned IEM.

Rock and EDM will benefit from a more impactful bass.

Experiment with eartips too, they make a huge difference. Much more than cables!

S12 Pro - rather expensive option compared to everything else you mentioned.
KHAN - Castor Bass Edition is cheaper and more recent, gives some tuning options with switches too.
Simgot EW200 - good IEM by all accounts.
Tripowin Piccolo - another good option that flew under the radar.
Kinera Celeste Pandamon - on sale for around $30 at Angelears on AE (weird faceplate but non-fatiguing tuning and very comfortable).

Start checking reviews, and keep in mind that everyone has their own personal preferences.
If you are in search of treble until your ears bleed, I am not the person to ask!:ksc75smile:

You will get more bang for your buck by waiting for sales and buying older models rather than the latest gear. Those are more likely to be discounted and will have much more feedback available. FOTM is driven largely by hype and marketing.
Hi & thank you for the detailed reply...I thought so too about the dongle dac & have shortlisted Fosi Audio DS1, Tempotec Sonata BHD Pro & Fiio KA3...leaning towards DS1

I am leaning towards S12 Pro & Etymotic er2xr...but am not able to conclude...I also read very positive reviews about kz zs10 pro x so 1 more contender

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #31,565 of 31,867
Hi & thank you for the detailed reply...I thought so too about the dongle dac & have shortlisted Fosi Audio DS1, Tempotec Sonata BHD Pro & Fiio KA3...leaning towards DS1

I am leaning towards S12 Pro & Etymotic er2xr...but am not able to conclude...I also read very positive reviews about kz zs10 pro x so 1 more contender
I would buy the ka3 and s12 pro. Seems to me that’s a killer duo. But you have to decide yourself. Reading reviews and people experiences and having difficulties trying to decide is part of the fun of this hobby (at least for me) 😊.
keep us updated what you decide!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #31,566 of 31,867
That are some great suggestions!
For me I like the Moondrop Chu 2 (cheap), the Fiio FD3 (more expensive, needs EQ) and I love the 1more Penta P50 (expensive), these things rock!
The etymotics are on my list but I read not so good things about build quality.
Welcome to this wonderful hobby btw!
Truly...I got to demo cayin ru6 with Oriveti od200 with my oneplus 7 pro & I was very impressed with the sq...it was heavenly

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #31,567 of 31,867
I would buy the ka3 and s12 pro. Seems to me that’s a killer duo. But you have to decide yourself. Reading reviews and people experiences and having difficulties trying to decide is part of the fun of this hobby (at least for me) 😊.
keep us updated what you decide!
Thanks for suggesting...but doesn't ka3 have heating issues...I have read very good reviews about DS1.

You are spot on about the difficulties in trying to decide....it is the same for me too...else I would have bought cayin ru6 & S12 Pro already

Surely, I will update

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #31,568 of 31,867
Nov 20, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #31,569 of 31,867
Thanks for suggesting...but doesn't ka3 have heating issues...I have read very good reviews about DS1.

You are spot on about the difficulties in trying to decide....it is the same for me too...else I would have bought cayin ru6 & S12 Pro already

Surely, I will update
Did not know about the KA3 heating problems but if that is the case then don’t consider it. I usually use dac/amplifiers with their own power source so they don’t drain my phones battery. Usually they also have more power what comes in handy with some headphones.

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #31,570 of 31,867

Surely, I will update
Also, try buying from Amazon. It’s easy to try some stuff and send it back within a month with no problems. Most of the processes are automated so there will be no persons involved questioning your return(s) like is possible in smaller shops.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #31,572 of 31,867
Noted.
Saw Simgot ew200 in your gear list.
What's your feedback about it?
Though you didn't ask i would still suggest you get something with which (dongle) you could change filters etc. shanling and latest offerings by iBasso have been good in that regard.

EW200 is a good musical set and good value for money. If you want an audiophile impressions ask either @Ace Bee or @suman134

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #31,573 of 31,867
Noted.
Saw Simgot ew200 in your gear list.
What's your feedback about it?
Bassy Fun IEM with a slightly thin feeling in the vocals, upper mid and lower treble range. Finishing definition is very good but the body are a bit leaner.
Upper treble is a bit less defined but extension is good.
Bass is rumbly and deep. Has a huge area of impact with very good weight behind it. Hits can envelop your head, nice bassy slam. High quality sub and mid bass rumble. Dynamics are very good too. Better than many IEMs in this price.
Mid range is not very cohesive or pleasing. Its timber and tonality are a bit on the artificial side. Stage is big and tall, imaging is very good with nice sonics and good placement. Layering and separation are very good for the price.
If fit is not an issue, I will suggest the Oriveti OD100.

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #31,574 of 31,867
Though you didn't ask i would still suggest you get something with which (dongle) you could change filters etc. shanling and latest offerings by iBasso have been good in that regard.

EW200 is a good musical set and good value for money. If you want an audiophile impressions ask either @Ace Bee or @suman134
Dongle dac was next in line after the iem...but now it is first.
I have shortlisted ew200...inching closer to it...s12 pro I prefer due to it being planar with modular cable & overall sq...price / performance ratio seems appealing

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #31,575 of 31,867
Bassy Fun IEM with a slightly thin feeling in the vocals, upper mid and lower treble range. Finishing definition is very good but the body are a bit leaner.
Upper treble is a bit less defined but extension is good.
Bass is rumbly and deep. Has a huge area of impact with very good weight behind it. Hits can envelop your head, nice bassy slam. High quality sub and mid bass rumble. Dynamics are very good too. Better than many IEMs in this price.
Mid range is not very cohesive or pleasing. Its timber and tonality are a bit on the artificial side. Stage is big and tall, imaging is very good with nice sonics and good placement. Layering and separation are very good for the price.
If fit is not an issue, I will suggest the Oriveti OD100.
Hey there Suman,
Thank you for taking time to reply...I will definitely check out OD 100...which one do you recommend out of OD 100 & S12 Pro?

BTW, I am from Mumbai...where are you based in India?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back