CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 6, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #31,531 of 31,867
I bought the Mermaid MS2 and the MS3 which I both sold. They were to bright for me. Can you say anything about the brightness of the MP145? I recently bought the 1more Penta P50 which I find truly amazing. Extremely fun. Also recently bought the Fiio ff5 which are also kinda bright and bass shy but that is to expect because they are buds (Also ordered the Venture monk, seems fun to compare them). Will keep them though because they are the only buds in my collection. First I am saving for the Fiio ft5 but maybe (if nothing else comes along) the mp145 are next…
MP145 come with three nozzles (for highs, balanced and for bass) so, in addition to your DAP/Smartphone EQ, you have all tools to make it sound bright, or on a darker/warmer side. I just go with default (balanced, rose gold) nozzle filters and for the first time in my life I don't use any EQ on my Hiby R3 DAP. Default tuning is perfect for me.

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #31,532 of 31,867
MP145 come with three nozzles (for highs, balanced and for bass) so, in addition to your DAP/Smartphone EQ, you have all tools to make it sound bright, or on a darker/warmer side. I just go with default (balanced, rose gold) nozzle filters and for the first time in my life I don't use any EQ on my Hiby R3 DAP. Default tuning is perfect for me.
Nozzles on the MS3 didn’t do any good. EQ is not a solution. First of my dac’s don‘t support EQ and on a iOS device there is only the crapy Apple EQ presets. Other EQ is not possible because of DRM. Only the Deezer app has a EQ but the file format is inferieur compared to Apple music. Thats why I only buy IEM’s/headphones that don’t need EQ. EQ is like a bandage, not a cure.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #31,533 of 31,867
Rose gold filter for me, too; most probably I am a kind of not-so-heavily basshed.
I bought the Mermaid MS2 and the MS3 which I both sold. They were to bright for me. Can you say anything about the brightness of the MP145? I recently bought the 1more Penta P50 which I find truly amazing. Extremely fun. Also recently bought the Fiio ff5 which are also kinda bright and bass shy but that is to expect because they are buds (Also ordered the Venture monk, seems fun to compare them). Will keep them though because they are the only buds in my collection. First I am saving for the Fiio ft5 but maybe (if nothing else comes along) the mp145 are next…
Also, Hidizs MP145 comes with 3 different kind of tips (S,M,L sizes for all), so you have 9 variations.

Overall: if you are overly treble sensitive, maybe a planar is not what you are searching for. Have you tested other planars ? Compared them to BA / DD sound ?
Maybe a Harman targeted DD is what you want ?

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #31,534 of 31,867
Rose gold filter for me, too; most probably I am a kind of not-so-heavily basshed.

Also, Hidizs MP145 comes with 3 different kind of tips (S,M,L sizes for all), so you have 9 variations.

Overall: if you are overly treble sensitive, maybe a planar is not what you are searching for. Have you tested other planars ? Compared them to BA / DD sound ?
Maybe a Harman targeted DD is what you want ?
In my experience the tips don’t do much. I tried the Kz PR1, Kz X HBB PR2 and 1more Penta P50 (which partially has planar drivers).
The PR1 I like, the PR2 I sold and the P50 I absolutely love!
Cheers

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #31,535 of 31,867
In my experience the tips don’t do much.

On the contrary, tips can make or break an IEM, and are a very overlooked part of the audio chain. Not only do they affect sound, but also affect fit, comfort and isolation. Poor fit will make one lose the bass frequencies for example, and the IEM may appear to be bass lite or shouty as such. Bad fit via poor eartip choice = bad sound = consumer will sell away the IEM.

Another example is the infamous BLON BL-03 - with its super short nozzle - necessitating most consumers to do mods or procure aftermarket longer eartips just to salvage the fit (the stock BL-03 tips are a joke).

We can take a planar (Moondrop Stellaris) as an example, and use graphs to show objective tonal changes with eartips.

354452415_651488880199895_2722877049489285474_n.jpg

The green graph is with the stock Softear Ultra Clear silicone tips - this is the baseline frequency response.

A wide bore eartip like the Tenmark Whirlwind gives the most treble boost - red graph.

The Final E Black tips tames the treble the most - black graph.

A lot of audiophiles burn lots of money on cables to change the sound, but IMHO, eartips are more affordable compared to cables, and fitting a new eartip is reversible, say compared to putting mesh filters (eg Tanya filter) or doing mods. Personally, I never give up on an IEM if it sounds bad out-of-the-box, and use at least 5 eartips to try to see if the sound can be optimized first.

Nov 7, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #31,536 of 31,867
On the contrary, tips can make or break an IEM, and are a very overlooked part of the audio chain. Not only do they affect sound, but also affect fit, comfort and isolation. Poor fit will make one lose the bass frequencies for example, and the IEM may appear to be bass lite or shouty as such. Bad fit via poor eartip choice = bad sound = consumer will sell away the IEM.

Another example is the infamous BLON BL-03 - with its super short nozzle - necessitating most consumers to do mods or procure aftermarket longer eartips just to salvage the fit (the stock BL-03 tips are a joke).

We can take a planar (Moondrop Stellaris) as an example, and use graphs to show objective tonal changes with eartips.

The green graph is with the stock Softear Ultra Clear silicone tips - this is the baseline frequency response.

A wide bore eartip like the Tenmark Whirlwind gives the most treble boost - red graph.

The Final E Black tips tames the treble the most - black graph.

A lot of audiophiles burn lots of money on cables to change the sound, but IMHO, eartips are more affordable compared to cables, and fitting a new eartip is reversible, say compared to putting mesh filters (eg Tanya filter) or doing mods. Personally, I never give up on an IEM if it sounds bad out-of-the-box, and use at least 5 eartips to try to see if the sound can be optimized first.
Completely consistent with my experience and, dare I say it, with objective reality. With the help of tips it is possible to achieve the most significant hardware changes in the sound of IEMs without changing filters, damping, etc. Changing cables has only a negligible effect in comparison.

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #31,538 of 31,867
The Dunu S&S tips made me revisit my IEMs again. It made so many of them sound good again.
Ok…I just now ordered a set.15,- euro I can survive…(yesterday I ordered a set of trn foam, a set silicon/foam and a set tp45)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #31,540 of 31,867
I would like some advice on the S&S dune. I would like to get them, but I have strong doubts about their largest size (XL 13mm). I am aware of their shape difference from normal, but I have no idea if they can provide a sufficient seal for me as a size 14mm user. Is there anyone here who uses size 14mm and has personal experience with this? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Nov 7, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #31,541 of 31,867
I would like some advice on the S&S dune. I would like to get them, but I have strong doubts about their largest size (XL 13mm). I am aware of their shape difference from normal, but I have no idea if they can provide a sufficient seal for me as a size 14mm user. Is there anyone here who uses size 14mm and has personal experience with this? Thank you in advance for any advice.
I too use 14mm and larger if I can find em but the SS Dunu seal for me as they go a little deeper in the canal due to their length

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #31,543 of 31,867
In just three days the 11/11 sale is gonna start. This time I was planning to order a few DACs from Aliexpress just for fun. I already ordered myself a PCM1794 based DAC.

This is gonna be fun. They have a selection of DACs with old chips (old Burr-Brown chips, PCM56) hidden among the gigantic amount of products.

Nov 12, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #31,545 of 31,867
so is it me or KZ ED9 w/ Spinfit's is the ultimate throw-away cheapo IEM? I do not want over-the-ear designs.

There are a lot of more recent cable down IEMs, including models from BLON, KBEAR, Rose Technics, Tanchjim, CVJ, TRN, NiceHCK, Tin Hifi and even KZ. Like all of ChiFi, there has been progress in tuning and technology over time.:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back