CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 28, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #31,246 of 31,833
Thanks, you too mate! I hope the weather wasnt too hard in your place.

Yes its different, it cover upper treble which is mostly about micro details, extra brilliance and sens of openess, i think above 8khz, while for the Mext it cover wide range from 200hz to 7000hz, so Winter mids doesnt seem as fowards and ''ultra HD'' as Mext yet spatiality feel more open and less in your head. Bass is more textured and less sloppy with the Winter too, but i need more listen before sharing proper impression. Layering and imaging is superior with the Mext, but Winter is excellent in that regard too, just not 1000$ excellent...

My real crush is the Hook X HBB right now, but Heyday and Winter are a bit more refined in balance aka more neutralish
Thank you for the input!

Great info about Winter.

And yes totally understandable for “neutral” and refined tuning, which is good per se, but for someone tried so many of them, we are looking some colors here, a nicely colored gem.

Good to hear hook-x fit your taste👍

Dec 28, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #31,247 of 31,833
Trn v90 was my first iem, after them I bought Olina. It's really step forward, now im curious to try Hexa.
I see, HEXA is a very safe bet in vocal-neutral approach, it is more refined than Moondrop’s blessing 2 and Dusk, Variations.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #31,248 of 31,833
I may have to make a bold statement that budget class single dynamics that aren’t LCP diaphragm shall face a tough challenge nowadays.

I have many Carbon nanotube, Diamond like Carbon, Beryllium-coated, Titanium-coated single dynamic, which except very few of them, LCP has better /softer timbre and overall technicalities. When I make any dynamic driver purchase, I stopped buying CNT or DLC dynamic already.

If you are buying more instrument-neuteal focused dynamic, you may try out one with LCPs.

yea HEXA copied Softears RSV’s mid-to upper mid. So does Crin copied RSV’s to Dusk or vice-versa
6A689A75-FD4C-4797-8231-41CD5702ABC8.jpeg

It’s a vocal-neutral tuning I’d call it, especially female vocal’s lip-focused.
Here is a quote from Truthear Zero review
Hi AmericanSpirit, very interesting comparison,.
I don't know if you have the IKKO OH1 but I'm wondering about the sound comparison with the HEXA.
graph.jpg

OH1 has a titanium coated dd, by the frequency responses comparison it seems that also if the mids are more recessed the male vocals may benefit by the mid bass boost and the female vocals could be more sibilants sensible but with more air and more full body.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #31,249 of 31,833
I don't know if you have the IKKO OH1 but I'm wondering about the sound comparison with the HEXA.

OH1 has a titanium coated dd, by the frequency responses comparison it seems that also if the mids are more recessed the male vocals may benefit by the mid bass boost and the female vocals could be more sibilants sensible but with more air and more full body.
Many thanks for that,! It makes HEXA more of a known quantity, I've never had the opportunity to hear B2 but I do have and like the OH1. :ksc75smile:

Dec 29, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #31,250 of 31,833
It’s happening to Softears RSV vs Truthear Zero inside me.

15x price difference, one is penultimate cohesive “single dynamic”like sounding masterpiece, another one is just Variation tuned dual LCP DD.

But they both perform in closer range when it comes to sound reproduction. I could only see RSV slighly wins in resolution, image positioning, diffusion field conformity. And my brain is confusing, this can’t be, I must in honeymoon hype with Truthear ZERO.
Follow up notes on this.

I’ve spent 10 hours A-B testing Truthear ZERO and Softears RSV on various source, and concluded Truthear ZERO is indeed high performing but not TOTL spec.

Here is why:

Unlike Softears RSV, image projection of Truthwar ZERO is colored, it has forward projection by default, to visually present it,
3986A1A0-593E-4852-ABA5-FD8CF90DC270.jpeg

Zero has certain 3D expressions with forward projection which I can say it is 3D IMAX movie theater with THX system. Imaging will stick around screen area with 3D projections, you do have great surrounding speakers as well.

For Softears RSV, it is a precision VR simulator, original Tracks mix is directly rendered with 100% of accuracy.
Imaging appear anywhere as original mixing engineer intended, it can be nearfield, room ambience, concert hall, or open air. This is what TOTL’s capabilities in what other IEM is lack of.

Resolution wise they are not too far I’d say RSV has got A, ZERO got A-.

Also ZERO has intentionally lifted “atmospheric air” for 10kHz+ air/presence reagion. Of which many TOTL IEM also uses the same technic as a part of their overall “air “ presentation , say 64 Audio U12t, See Audio Bravery.

ZERO achieved to obtain “atmosphere” generated by its independent 7.8mm LCP driver, which is actually my fist experience hearing the well presented atmosphere by a proprietary LCP dynamic super tweeter.

It is phenomenal and Zero should not be evaluated simply as “one of sub$50”.

It is a technological advancement.

Anti-thesis for “BA super-tweeter” that is actually love/hate issue going on for centuries. This technological advancement is one of the offer to someone

▶︎wants a very good air and finesse, a clairvoyant views
▶︎doesn’t like BA / EST timbre, feeling BA/EST timbre is not natural & harsh/solid
▶︎feels single dynamic driver —unless you pay $1k — is incapable of rendering treble as hybrid/EST tribrids could do

The finesse presentation capabilities will deeply impact on high-res source, it won’t kick in for lossy source, I’d see this one of the reason why some people felt nothing special from Zero, letting aside the LCP driver’s heavy burn-in prerequisites.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #31,251 of 31,833

That’s basically the philosophy took place for Truthear Zero to Truthear HEXA,

From energetic, impulsive, wide staging tuning with somehow recessed mid, boosted bass/air, to pure vocal(HRTF)-neutral HEXA.

One thing you don’t have on OH1 is LCP super tweeter dd boosted atmospheric finesse (14-15khz) on ZERO which makes night and day difference on hi-res source. It add a resolving capacity as well.
07B99218-AE10-4C29-9D3F-5E31024D41C0.png

I’ve made a detailed walk thru of ZERO vs HEXA on this summary post with links👍
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/truthear-impressions-discussion.966011/post-17316544

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #31,252 of 31,833
I'm giving right now a listen to the CCA CXS...these are suppose to be the U shape tuning take of CCA, and its a strange one since the bass is really biggest drawback of those, since you dont have any well rounded punch and the slam feel muffled too...treble head U shape where whole treble section is notably more boosted than bass and mids....bass is about sub bass boom with sustain blurry resonance and mids are thin bright and recessed...but and its an important BUT, treble is sharp, fast and snappy so sens of clarity is very boosted, percussions and acoustic guitar are fowards, sparkly and well define, yet they stole the show of mid range which lack dynamic weight and presence....seem like my pair have imbalance in sub bass response too, right one have more boosted rumble and can create distortion...so perhaps 2db more but i dont have measurement equipment to confirm. These are the kind of IEM that deliver imprevisible result depending of music style, this is due to recessed mids and boosted treble, so with agressive rock i tend to lower volume yet it kill any dynamic and bass punch is lacking while with pop or electronic i rise the volume and micro details can be too spiky in rendering....
These aren't bad for 18$ and construction is marvelous, all metal with unique design....yet these arent for bass or mids-vocal lover, more for treble head and those that get wowed by boosted micro details and clarity. If you favor timbre and tone, better stay away from these and choose CCA CRA+ or Tangzu Waner imo
Ill try to do a fast video review to get rid of those asap, its not a musical sounding IEM to my very ears...if burn in do any positive change i will share about it too.
(source: Questyle M15, bal, Low gain, 1/4 volume)
321651029_565194235037890_4463600216978044523_n.jpg

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #31,253 of 31,833
I'm giving right now a listen to the CCA CXS...these are suppose to be the U shape tuning take of CCA, and its a strange one since the bass is really biggest drawback of those, since you dont have any well rounded punch and the slam feel muffled too...treble head U shape where whole treble section is notably more boosted than bass and mids....bass is about sub bass boom with sustain blurry resonance and mids are thin bright and recessed...but and its an important BUT, treble is sharp, fast and snappy so sens of clarity is very boosted, percussions and acoustic guitar are fowards, sparkly and well define, yet they stole the show of mid range which lack dynamic weight and presence....seem like my pair have imbalance in sub bass response too, right one have more boosted rumble and can create distortion...so perhaps 2db more but i dont have measurement equipment to confirm. These are the kind of IEM that deliver imprevisible result depending of music style, this is due to recessed mids and boosted treble, so with agressive rock i tend to lower volume yet it kill any dynamic and bass punch is lacking while with pop or electronic i rise the volume and micro details can be too spiky in rendering....
These aren't bad for 18$ and construction is marvelous, all metal with unique design....yet these arent for bass or mids-vocal lover, more for treble head and those that get wowed by boosted micro details and clarity. If you favor timbre and tone, better stay away from these and choose CCA CRA+ or Tangzu Waner imo
Ill try to do a fast video review to get rid of those asap, its not a musical sounding IEM to my very ears...if burn in do any positive change i will share about it too.
(source: Questyle M15, bal, Low gain, 1/4 volume)
321651029_565194235037890_4463600216978044523_n.jpg
I just had one question, what tips are you testing the CXS with? After testing a plethora of different kinds, I've come to the conclusion that the JVC Spiraldots are a perfect fit. On the one hand, they enhance the presence of the mids (because they are widebore), and on the other they tame any potential spikes on the top end (because they are soft silicone).

In this constellation I find the CKX to be better, more mature and more naturally tuned iems than the CRA+. Of course this is just my subjective opinion, our perceptions may differ.

P.S. Until I deployed Spiraldots at CXS, my impressions were similar to yours.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #31,254 of 31,833
I just had one question, what tips are you testing the CXS with? After testing a plethora of different kinds, I've come to the conclusion that the JVC Spiraldots are a perfect fit. On the one hand, they enhance the presence of the mids (because they are widebore), and on the other they tame any potential spikes on the top end (because they are soft silicone).

In this constellation I find the CKX to be better, more mature and more naturally tuned iems than the CRA+. Of course this is just my subjective opinion, our perceptions may differ.

P.S. Until I deployed Spiraldots at CXS, my impressions were similar to yours.
Ive tested Kbera KB07 wide bore and KZ Starline for now...not sure i own those spiraldots but will give it a look tx for pointing out, im open to change my mind about impressions since source and eartips does inflict alot on final result...for now ive just use Moondrop Dawn 4.4 and Questyle M15.
you know, im very sensitive to timbre and when mids are a bit recessed or thin it tend to kill the musicality for me, but not for everyone...bass is a bit muffled to and this annoy me too....do you hear any difference after burn in? my pair have like 2H burn in for now...

Dec 29, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #31,255 of 31,833
Dec 29, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #31,256 of 31,833
Ive tested Kbera KB07 wide bore and KZ Starline for now...not sure i own those spiraldots but will give it a look tx for pointing out, im open to change my mind about impressions since source and eartips does inflict alot on final result...for now ive just use Moondrop Dawn 4.4 and Questyle M15.
you know, im very sensitive to timbre and when mids are a bit recessed or thin it tend to kill the musicality for me, but not for everyone...bass is a bit muffled to and this annoy me too....do you hear any difference after burn in? my pair have like 2H burn in for now...
I tried the Kbear 07 on them, sonically it was not a happy combination (too much harshness and thin sound signature). Compared to the Spiraldots they are narrow bore 🙂. I don't use KZ Starlines at all, they don't fit me, even size L doesn't have enough diameter for me.
As for the burn-in, that's hard for me to rate. During the first hours of trying them, I kept changing tips until I found the right combination. Therefore, I don't know how they reacted to the burn-in effect or if at all, as the conditions were constantly changing. Personally, I am a mild skeptic about the burn-in, as well as about the cable alchemy.

I use the CXS (and all other IEMs) on the balanced output of my DAP or headphone amp. Have a nice rest of the day.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #31,257 of 31,833
I tried the Kbear 07 on them, sonically it was not a happy combination (too much harshness and thin sound signature). Compared to the Spiraldots they are narrow bore 🙂. I don't use KZ Starlines at all, they don't fit me, even size L doesn't have enough diameter for me.
As for the burn-in, that's hard for me to rate. During the first hours of trying them, I kept changing tips until I found the right combination. Therefore, I don't know how they reacted to the burn-in effect or if at all, as the conditions were constantly changing. Personally, I am a mild skeptic about the burn-in, as well as about the cable alchemy.

I use the CXS (and all other IEMs) on the balanced output of my DAC and headphone amp. Have a nice rest of the day.
OK then! time to dig in my montain of eartips an try at least 10 different one including foams one!
You convince me mate!
will do an update about this soon, hope to find a spiraldot or something similar

Dec 29, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #31,258 of 31,833
320759692_846649703235291_6119472612735689124_n.jpg

So at they end these are my fav ear tips with the CXS, soundstage is very wide and deep and they arent sounding too bright. sibilance is minimal now, but timbre stay the same, and overall attack is on the shouty side, even bass is shouty....this is my biggest qualm, the bass lack proper definition and have blurry resonance, it deliver a strangely bright tamed slam...overall tonality isnt natural enough to my ears. vocal are still thin but with boosted presence and pina gain...
Personaly, i put musicality above everything else, yet, technical performance can be impressive in short term.
these aren't bad, but not for me. these sit in btw Cca Lyra and KZ EDX Ultra. Great sound value, no doubt, for those that like bright U shape treble centric signature.

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #31,259 of 31,833
Spiral dots ++ is very useful to tame mushy bass transient response, it ease out congestion especially in bass range. But the down side is it loose sub-bass’s rumble due to the materials used for the ear tips.

I found this ear tip and this tone down the bass floor without losing fundamental thump.
A reworked Xelastec Crystal wih latest generation of clear silicone that you can find from Softears UC and SpinFit W1 series.
Here, is impulse response of ear tips and its impact on transients of the sound

Sony hybrids
4952BABF-14C9-49FC-BCBF-BBA7E0087A48.jpeg

Spiral Dot++: you can see a flat down slope, which indicates less sub-bass resonance, it works for those dynamic drivers with “rough” and “congested” bass, straightened it out
BDD5CA24-AEA4-4774-AA78-05398535413D.jpeg

As bass resonates less, with smoother transients less distortion, quicker decay, perceived “volume, the body” of bass will be reduced significantly evenif they kept same intensity on decibel scale(i.e. same FR)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back