CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 11, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #31,276 of 31,834
Most of the other planars seem to focus even more on details and speed at the cost of note weight. Zetian Wu is probably the best behaved planar in that respect.:L3000:

Be grateful you didn't start with Moondrop Stellaris or Muse Hifi.
facepalm šŸ˜¢ I paid my hard earned money for Stellaris a blind buy. Moondrop never disappointed me before that but Stellaris was the first one.

Then the hunger from Stellaris pulled me back to IEM rabbit hole

Jan 11, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #31,278 of 31,834
I ordered both mate, will have an input vs same CA43198x2ā€™s L&P W2āœŒļø

Yea Truthear, is really making difference in every segment.

HEXA for med-fi killer
ZERO for new LCP 2DD segment and I have to admit it sounds better than Aria.

HOLA as Aria killer (they got almost same tuning)

SHIO as new budget USB dongle benchmarking
wow, that would be a very revealing comparison....if it can match up the W2 it would represent insane sound value! unfortunately i cant get my hands on this dongle since its exclusive to Shenzhenaudio but as soon as i get some money to spend, perhaps i will not be able to hold myself. Hola too is intriguing, as a big fan of Aria i need to compare those 2...again, if its any as good it would be insane. Truthear is sure a company to keep an eye on!

cant wait to read you impressions!
who know what dongle magic 2023 will bring! for now, Moondrop Dawn 4.4, Questyle M15 and Xduoo Link2 Bal are my go to dongles. i have the Xduoo Poke 2 which use dual CS43198....and cost near 400$ lol...i dont like its tonality tough, cold neutral, very clean and detailed....but lean dynamic tend to bore me alot.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #31,279 of 31,834
Does anybody have a direct comparison of er2xr with moondrop chu's?
I have ER2SE and Chu. They have close technical performancešŸ‘ Tuning wise they are targeting different audience, so you may check if you like Moondropā€™s 3khz peak style or Etyā€™s 2.5khz gain peak style.

They both have thinner note weight and tonal balance, Chu has wider diffusion field .

Resolving cap is about the same, maybe slightly ER2 got better one.

Timbre wise Chu has more natural decay when compared to rather quicker decaying on ER2 especially for 10khz.
785AAC3E-0868-4417-A23F-7CEAD7C59471.png

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #31,280 of 31,834
wow, that would be a very revealing comparison....if it can match up the W2 it would represent insane sound value! unfortunately i cant get my hands on this dongle since its exclusive to Shenzhenaudio but as soon as i get some money to spend, perhaps i will not be able to hold myself. Hola too is intriguing, as a big fan of Aria i need to compare those 2...again, if its any as good it would be insane. Truthear is sure a company to keep an eye on!

cant wait to read you impressions!
who know what dongle magic 2023 will bring! for now, Moondrop Dawn 4.4, Questyle M15 and Xduoo Link2 Bal are my go to dongles. i have the Xduoo Poke 2 which use dual CS43198....and cost near 400$ lol...i dont like its tonality tough, cold neutral, very clean and detailed....but lean dynamic tend to bore me alot.
haha yea iBasso DX300 uses CS43198x4 and costs $1500.

Yea my impression on CS43198ā€™s tonality is very similar to yours. Cold neutral, very clean and detailed, however L&P W2ā€™s power unit somehow squeezed a very good punch for bass, thatā€™s proper DAP class punch for a dongle. As from the spec I see SHIO has 60% power of W2, but W2 is capable of driving fullsize headphones, letā€™s see how much SHIO is capable in driving IEMsšŸ‘

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #31,281 of 31,834
I have ER2SE and Chu. They have close technical performancešŸ‘ Tuning wise they are targeting different audience, so you may check if you like Moondropā€™s 3khz peak style or Etyā€™s 2.5khz gain peak style.

They both have thinner note weight and tonal balance, Chu has wider diffusion field .

Resolving cap is about the same, maybe slightly ER2 got better one.

Timbre wise Chu has more natural decay when compared to rather quicker decaying on ER2 especially for 10khz.
785AAC3E-0868-4417-A23F-7CEAD7C59471.png
Well, they are like 20$ so might as well try them. I'm looking for smaller iems in general and chu's look pretty small, right? Etymotic's are a definition of small, but the deep insertion makes my ears hurt after 1+ hours of listening.

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #31,282 of 31,834
Well, they are like 20$ so might as well try them. I'm looking for smaller iems in general and chu's look pretty small, right? Etymotic's are a definition of small, but the deep insertion makes my ears hurt after 1+ hours of listening.
You may also considering HOLA 18.99 as an alternative option, I have one Incoming and have a hunch it will be more potent than Chu if size isnā€™t your concern.

For small shell, yes both Chu and ER2s are small enough even good for female with small earsšŸ‘

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #31,283 of 31,834
You may also considering HOLA 18.99 as an alternative option, I have one Incoming and have a hunch it will be more potent than Chu if size isnā€™t your concern.

For small shell, yes both Chu and ER2s are small enough even good for female with small earsšŸ‘
Well, the size is my concern because my left ear is super picky when it comes to iems, although the money is not. I'm just asking in this thread because all of the more expensive iems are obscenely large.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #31,284 of 31,834
Today ive decide to open back my old NBBA: NO BS BUDGET AUDIOPHILE group which was on pause for more than a year...
Since Chifi Love community is begining to achieve what NBBA couldn't (chill open minded chifi community), I decide to change the community goal.
Its now all about BASSHEAD joy and gems. If your one of those (which doesnt mean your binary basshead, but can enjoy fun bass V, U or even W shape), your welcome to join this 1 day old community.
You can join NO BS BASSHEAD AUDIOPHILES here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2356925341002367

Cheers!

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #31,285 of 31,834
Blast from the past.

I decided to clean my drawers today and chanced upon the 4th CHIFI IEM that I bought in 2019: the Toneking Ninetails. IIRC it was about $100 USD when I got it.

Toneking Ninetails.jpeg

Back in those heady days, CHIFI were just picking up steam and were still wrestling with boutique/western brands for supremacy in the budget IEM segment. Time really flies, and nowadays, most CHIFI give much better price to performance ratio to some of these boutique brands at the budget/midFI segment. Never thought I would see the day that planar IEMs retail at sub $100 USD, which seems to be the norm nowadays!

The Ninetails is named after an Asian Fox Spirit, which has nine tails: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_spirit. This spirit can metamorphize to various forms and mimic humans also. They can be benevolent or naughty.

Toneking Ninetails 2.jpeg

So anyways, the Toneking Ninetails lives up to its namesake, it indeed has 9 tuning signatures, via 2 tuning nozzles per IEM housing - 1 on the rear, and 1 on the front.

Took about 30 minutes to graph what the various filters do, and the various permutations:

Toneking Ninetails.jpg

Graph of the various filters with the Toneking Ninetails, via IEC 711 coupler. 8 khz area is a coupler artefact peak.

So the Ninetails IEM can give a spectrum of tunings from V-shaped to neutral, to basshead. Very versatile little beast as such. Trebleheads to bassheads to mid lovers all will find something suitable for them. Even the basshead setting is no misomer (unlike some other IEMs with "bass" switches eg TRI Starsea that have anemic bass) - the Toneking Ninetail's basshead config can really rattle the jaw and cause a headache!

The Ninetails has an organic timbre, as per its DD roots, huge holographic soundstage due to its open backed design. This is a double edged sword though, as the isolation is poor. Technically, the Ninetails shows its age, and perhaps isn't as good in micro-detailing, imaging and instrument separation as some modern day single DDs at the $100 bracket.

The housings look weird, it is some gourd shaped design. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to wear them, but once angled at 45 degrees anteriorly with the gourd base at the bottom, the Ninetails is actually pretty comfortable.

Too bad it is no longer available for purchase, but nowadays we are inundated with clone sidegrade Harman or waifu or collab budget sets, and stuff like the Toneking Ninetails are a very special breed. K they will be in my rotation for this year!

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #31,287 of 31,834
Jan 19, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #31,288 of 31,834
Jan 21, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #31,289 of 31,834
Tempotec Sonata HD II
Need to praise this small dongle, I have been on a hunt for a while to get silent output from my Pixel 6 phone. I have tried more expensive dongles also, all of them has picked up clicks and pops from the phone. This is the first dongle I have tried that's completely silent. Before this only some battery driven DAC/AMPs where able to remove the noise.

It also has a clear and powerful sound considering the price point and the size.
PXL_20230119_165440534.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back