CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 6, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #30,256 of 31,845
I pulled the tr!gger for the Master Dynamic ME05. Thanks for the tip, mikey1964. You really can't go wrong for that price.

Experts, how come we don't see flat cables on IEMs anymore? Tangles? Breaks? Twists too much?

I could be wrong but I think braided cables deal with microphonics better and tend to be less prone to memory.

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #30,257 of 31,845
I pulled the tr!gger for the Master Dynamic ME05. Thanks for the tip, mikey1964. You really can't go wrong for that price.

Experts, how come we don't see flat cables on IEMs anymore? Tangles? Breaks? Twists too much?
Because they suck! Seriously, they do, since they only flex in two directions unlike a round cable that can flex in many directions. One of the worst offenders was the cheap basshead darling Sony MH-1, pure crap cable that made dressing the wire to be unobtrusive nearly impossible.

I could be wrong but I think braided cables deal with microphonics better and tend to be less prone to memory.
Not so much. My Moondrop Aria cables are braided and have rather severe microphonics when on the go, unless you use the neck cinch. I think it has way more to do with the cable sheath material, in my experience.

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #30,258 of 31,845
Because they suck! Seriously, they do, since they only flex in two directions unlike a round cable that can flex in many directions. One of the worst offenders was the cheap basshead darling Sony MH-1, pure crap cable that made dressing the wire to be unobtrusive nearly impossible.

Not so much. My Moondrop Aria cables are braided and have rather severe microphonics when on the go, unless you use the neck cinch. I think it has way more to do with the cable sheath material, in my experience.
OG aria braided cable is a cloth braid, easily tangles
and its not as soft/pliant as i would like it, after some storage time it harden in a bad way

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #30,259 of 31,845
@Markoff
It's worth giving the Sony MH750 or MH755 a try. I have Pistons, and the Sonys are just much better.

Are your brick-and-mortar shops reputable? There are a LOT of counterfeit Sonys out there. If you can find real ones for 6EUR -- pop open a bud (they're not glued) and look for separate solder dots next to each wire connection (there are photos on Head-Fi in Sony threads) -- you've got very good value.

Jul 7, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #30,260 of 31,845

It is better than plain round cable, less tangle, more durable, a bit stiffer but that also depends on materials. The reason why it is not popular anymore is probably because braided cables are looks way more fancy.

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #30,261 of 31,845
It is better than plain round cable, less tangle, more durable, a bit stiffer but that also depends on materials. The reason why it is not popular anymore is probably because braided cables are looks way more fancy.
KZ/CCA budget IEMs now come with flat cables that are way better than the 4 core braided ones they used to include (from the "Tangles'R'Us" OEM manufacturer I believe). Their older IEMs also seem to be shipping with the newer cables too. I bought another CCA C10 on sale in April, and it came with the new flat cable in pink copper. Funnily enough that was what I was considering buying for it anyway! :L3000:

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #30,262 of 31,845
the dreaded brown cable.
the current cable is pretty decent, at least it didn't urge me to replace it right away.

now, if they figure out how to make good tips...
starline is pretty well loved here but i dislike it because on how it feels on my ear

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #30,263 of 31,845
the dreaded brown cable.
the current cable is pretty decent, at least it didn't urge me to replace it right away.

now, if they figure out how to make good tips...
starline is pretty well loved here but i dislike it because on how it feels on my ear
Starlines are okay. You don't miss them, when you cut them up to make O-rings (to space out tips on BLON-03).

Jul 12, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #30,270 of 31,845
Dunno if it's been mentioned, but Amazon has Master & Dynamic ME05 for cheap, last I'd heard, ~8 usd. To me, that is cheap for a pair of IEM that used to cost >150usd IIRC. Ordered a pair of brass colored ones and should be getting it on Friday at the latest.
Thanks for this! I ordered both the ME03 and ME05, as well as Moondrop Quarks, in a search for some bang-for-the-buck IEMs, after recently ruining my last set of IEMs.

Initial impressions are that the quarks have a bit of an upper-mid peak and are weak on bass, but are detailed enough. The 05 has comparatively stronger bass, but I don't feel like it's overly bass-heavy like so many things are. (Bass is not excessive at all in rock music, but strong with EDM.) Treble doesn't seem strong with either of these- or maybe just normal and not exaggerated. After a few songs on each, I can say that the 05 is much easier to listen to. I think it's a bit peaky in the upper midrange, but doesn't seem as much as the Quarks.

I can see where people may not feel like the Master & Dynamic ME05's are not "audiophile" enough, but they seem pretty good to me, with deep bass, plenty of detail, and not harsh.

All listening on an iPhone with an Alpha and Omega lightning adapter. The Quarks required more power for the same volume.

I tried searching for reviews, but didn't find much information on the ME03 or ME05. I will be curious to hear others' opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back