CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 14, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #28,681 of 31,839
You can remove a hex filter of stock Moondrop Aria 2021 to make it close to KBEar Lark's bright-neutral signature, and it is a considerable upgrade. Aria on sale could go as low as $69 USD. HZ Sound Heart Mirror is also a bright neutral tuned single DD, but Aria's sound is more natural.

I have both KBEar Lark 4K(old version), and new Lark, Robin, pretty much all new CCA / KZ / Moondrop IEMs as well.
TFZ Live 3 < nah too V-shape, you won't like it.
ZAX< not your liking sound, it's still U-shape with bits of spikes compared to Lark
CCA C10 Pro < too V-shaped
TFZ Live 1< basically all TFZ are V-tuned
Kbear KB04<< KB04 is actually a discontinued product, replaced by Robin (4BA+1), it's warm-neutral-ish sounding with V-accents, but technicalities aren't far from Lark, only slight upgrades.

For sub $50, with a bright neutral approach close to Lark with a significant sound enhancement, is GeekWold GK10, it has a slightly higher mid-bass floor compared to Lark, but it can be adjusted by ear-tips with the likes of SpinFit CP360.

Whoa, thanks for making a summary of each of those options :raised_hands:

Aria is too big of a jump for now, it's priced about $84 here, used ones with paint chips at $70.
Heart Mirror is also one that I have my eyes on, it's just so hard to find here.

Some reviews bashes the Geek Wold GK10 though, they said some things about incoherence, timbre, bloated bass

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/geek-wold-gk10.25290/reviews
Or is it something that the CP360 can solve? I know about how eartips can change some of the sound characteristics but I'm still kind of blown away with that fact

Another one that I have just found out, about in the price range of Aria (at least where I live) is the Fiio FH1s, got opinions on it?

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #28,682 of 31,839

Aria is too big of a jump for now, it's priced about $84 here, used ones with paint chips at $70.
Heart Mirror is also one that I have my eyes on, it's just so hard to find here.

Some reviews bashes the Geek Wold GK10 though, they said some things about incoherence, timbre, bloated bass

Or is it something that the CP360 can solve? I know about how eartips can change some of the sound characteristics but I'm still kind of blown away with that fact

Another one that I have just found out, about in the price range of Aria (at least where I live) is the Fiio FH1s, got opinions on it?

GK10 can be excellent for the price, more experienced people than me say they give you a glimpse of how a totl iem sounds for less than 50$, i can say that they are a fantastic improvement over the zax, silky smooth and balanced yet revealing, dynamic, airy and detailed yet powerful and punchy.

Of course that come at a price, they need the correct synergy form source to cable and tips to shine and a fair amount of burning-in time, there has also been some serious qc issues but GeekWuold usually replace defective units and accordingly with users comments and suggestion they have upgraded the stock cable to a more than adequate one e are providing an additional set of good quality wide bore silicone tips.

Having a quite good set of stock accessories, the biggest work to do is at source level, a tendency of loosy and bloated bass is definitely there, but this is due to the source more than to the gk10 DD responsible for the bass. It needs energy but once properly burned in and properly fed it becomes tight and textured. It's not a matter of expensive daps or dac/amps, i've found a good synergy through v4a and my axon7 mini.

in conclusion gk10 can open the door of high end or even totl sound, but it takes time, patience and perseverance to align all the rings of the chain, and a good bit of luck, but for me it has been definitely worth it.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #28,683 of 31,839

Another one that I have just found out, about in the price range of Aria (at least where I live) is the Fiio FH1s, got opinions on

I got the Geek Wold GK10 and had no QC issues with the buds themselves, but one of the strands of the cable was broken (still worked fine). I also changed tips, though I have to do that with most IEMs to use the largest ones possible.

I don't hear incoherence at all; they are smooth and instruments sound clear.

One of the problems the GK10 faced was that it was initially over-hyped in this very thread -- no, it will not dethrone $300 IEMs -- and so there was a reaction to that. And maybe people got some bad ones--it's possible.

The GK10 is tuned with a bass boost. But you can tame it -- though it means you have to crank up the volume a bit -- with a 20 ohm impedance adapter, $8 from Penon. https://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-impedance-adapter.html If you use that, you've got a very good-sounding budget IEM.

Sep 15, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #28,684 of 31,839
I couldn't recommend the GK10 as a daily driver. It does interesting things after messing with a lot ... but literally any of my other sets are better as all-rounders.

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #28,685 of 31,839
I saw that you list CCA C12 as Jazz Master... I wonder what would be your thought about Heart Mirror... :)

(I listen to Brubeck, Bill Evans, Brad Mehldau, Chick Corea, RTF, Pat Metheny, Fourplay, Miles Davis, Harry Connick Jr., Sarah Vaugh, Ella F., Carol Kidd, Mel Torme, Louis Armstrong, Astor Piazolla, Garry Burton, Holly Cole, Mark Isham, James Carter, John Coltrane, to name some...)

I am considering ordering mirror and waiting for other reviews on the ZEX to come through. C24 is a big let down.

Lots of staples in your jazz list! Could add in Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Stan Getz, Chet Baker, Dizzie Gillespie, Charles Mingus, Julie London... So many greats.

The BA in the C12 is great for quartets and lounge vocals. Bottom end DD is sufficient .. gets overwhelmed with metal and heavy symphonic pieces, but those BA's are on 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #28,686 of 31,839
Great to hear.
Aria is really great: nicely built, and on top of fairly flat/boring Harman, they added a touch of 5k/10k splash to make it more engaging. While not my personal choice (I am all into all-BAs), iI definitelt see Aria as a single universal IEM that can please most.
Hallo my freind👋 I just read your post and noticed you saying your into BA Only IEM'S. I'm looking for my first pure BA iem and could use some advice? I have a few good iem's that are Tribrid & Hybrid including Empire Ears Bravado Mk2, Lear-LCM Kalideo(custom), IMR Opus Mia and a few others but, I REALLY want to try a good Pure BA for their Clarity,Detail,Resolution ect.. and I'm under the impression they are great for Complex music which is perfect for me listening to Fast Drum & Bass and some bands who use many instruments like Arcade Fire. The only must have for me is for the iem to have the best BA Bass possible! What would you recommend for me? I don't really want to go over £150? Iv been looking at Audiosense DT200, GS Audio GD3A.GD5 & ST4? Have you got any experience with any of these? Or is there anything else you would reccomend?
Many Thanks in advance for your help its much appreciated👍

Sep 16, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #28,687 of 31,839
Hallo my freind👋 I just read your post and noticed you saying your into BA Only IEM'S. I'm looking for my first pure BA iem and could use some advice? I have a few good iem's that are Tribrid & Hybrid including Empire Ears Bravado Mk2, Lear-LCM Kalideo(custom), IMR Opus Mia and a few others but, I REALLY want to try a good Pure BA for their Clarity,Detail,Resolution ect.. and I'm under the impression they are great for Complex music which is perfect for me listening to Fast Drum & Bass and some bands who use many instruments like Arcade Fire. The only must have for me is for the iem to have the best BA Bass possible! What would you recommend for me? I don't really want to go over £150? Iv been looking at Audiosense DT200, GS Audio GD3A.GD5 & ST4? Have you got any experience with any of these? Or is there anything else you would reccomend?
DT200 is pretty atypical of BA iems. If you want to get a picture on how BA iems usually sounds like, I wouldnt get the DT200.
(GD3A and GD5 are hybrids, with DDs as well btw.)

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #28,688 of 31,839
DT200 is pretty atypical of BA iems. If you want to get a picture on how BA iems usually sounds like, I wouldnt get the DT200.
(GD3A and GD5 are hybrids, with DDs as well btw.)
Hia my friend from the GS Audio thread👍 I'm so torn between a Hybrid G.S.A or. Pure BA! I still don't know should i get either the GD3A/C(especially if it has your vented request?) Or should i gamble and get the ST4?
One other IEM I'm Intrested in is the BGVP DH5? Do you have any experience with it?

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #28,689 of 31,839

The KZ AS10 is more than decent, and is dirt-cheap to boot.

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #28,690 of 31,839
I still don't know should i get either the GD3A/C(especially if it has your vented request?) Or should i gamble and get the ST4?
GD series are hybrids though. If you really want a BA iem, might be better to gamble on the ST4. (of course I havent heard it so I have no clue.)

Personally, the GD3A is pretty much making all my other BA iems irrelevant. Because the GD3A is also non-vented and the DD is more like a BA with DD texture/air lol.

Sep 16, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #28,691 of 31,839
GD series are hybrids though. If you really want a BA iem, might be better to gamble on the ST4. (of course I havent heard it so I have no clue.)

Personally, the GD3A is pretty much making all my other BA iems irrelevant. Because the GD3A is also non-vented and the DD is more like a BA with DD texture/air lol.
I REALLY am 99.9% sold on the GD3A, i have owned the Sony N3 and when i read your comparison with the GD3A i was stunned! The N3 has a amazing sound and to say the GD3A is on the same level i nearly pushed the button! But what's stopping me is the Australian YouTuber saying the GD5 is the same Sound Sig as GD3A but 2-3 steps up in every department! But I'm waiting for"Invisibleink" to get his GD3A & GD5 and see if another person has the same findings? Then i will make my decision? BUT? that ST4 is calling me! But at £179 with tax & shipping its an expensive blind buy!
What's your take on the ST4 being the Fearless Audio S4 Turbo? I cannot find anywhere what drivers are in the S4.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #28,692 of 31,839
I REALLY am 99.9% sold on the GD3A, i have owned the Sony N3 and when i read your comparison with the GD3A i was stunned! The N3 has a amazing sound and to say the GD3A is on the same level i nearly pushed the button! But what's stopping me is the Australian YouTuber saying the GD5 is the same Sound Sig as GD3A but 2-3 steps up in every department! But I'm waiting for"Invisibleink" to get his GD3A & GD5 and see if another person has the same findings? Then i will make my opinion? Then i think i will make my decision.
Better wait for more impressions if you are uncertain.

Here is a graph of them from GS Audio.
1631835854679.png

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #28,693 of 31,839

GK10 is a topical or controversial IEM that got a big love & hate movement lately, I’m the one with love side, at least to my ear GK10 within my listed collections, is performing incredibly astonishing. It’s worth a try, and yes CP360 could halt the bass floor to neutral line at least in my set, to about same with Lark

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #28,694 of 31,839
Better wait for more impressions if you are uncertain.

Here is a graph of them from GS Audio.
I really like the look of them both on that graph! If i was knit-picking I would say the GD5 has the better tuning, it just doesn't seem as peaky at those upper mids! But to be fair they both look decent on the graph. But i will wait for more impressions? I'm not in a rush I have my new Empire Ears Bravado mk2 to enjoy, i also just received a pair of KZ Z3 TWS Earbuds that have also turned out to be very bass heavy! But if it's a good recording they really shine!
So the waiting goes on lol

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #28,695 of 31,839
You can remove a hex filter of stock Moondrop Aria 2021 to make it close to KBEar Lark's bright-neutral signature, and it is a considerable upgrade. Aria on sale could go as low as $69 USD. HZ Sound Heart Mirror is also a bright neutral tuned single DD, but Aria's sound is more natural.
I was wondering if you've seen this bass vent mod for HZSound Heart Mirror, and what's your opinion on it. I reckon it should make them sound more natural, fix the lack of bass, make them warmer. If u don't have those filters I suppose micropore tape should also do (less control tho). If you decide to try the mod, let me know what u think and how the modded version compares to the Aria

Users who are viewing this thread

Back