CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 3, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #27,841 of 31,849
I miss the not so long ago good old days where Xiaomi made the Xiaomi Pistons by 1more with beryllium DD's back in 2014. I have both the original gold Xiaomi Pistons and the flagship white gold version. Remind you, the Silver Pistons "WERE NOT" beryllium DD's at the time, but titanium versions. Now, the sound of the original and flagship version was epic and still sounds very competitive today even if they had nondetachable cables at the time. That's what makes beryllium so special, IMHO!

Enjoy my PIC's! :yum: ...White Gold version is in the box!

WeChat Image_20210503115716.jpgWeChat Image_20210503115656.jpgWeChat Image_20210503115737.jpgWeChat Image_20210503115725.jpg

-Clear
My first chi-fi, before I even knew that was a term lol.

QKZ. Well they usually title “4DD IEM” as it 2DD per side and it’s intentional misleading/eye-catching. They also claimed 2DD as there is only one diaphragm, only because it’s dual-cavity they called it 2DD. Another false marketing. Anyway that QKZ only sells sub$20 segments so no big concerns though.
This is actually something a lot of brands do in china, its probably the standard over there, you know, since having a bigger number looks better lol.

May 3, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #27,842 of 31,849
Yup, KBEAR/Tri is coming up to ky radar after I was amazed by their tuning for Lark. Waiting Starsea and Believe, and I’m pretty sure I won’t be disappointed.
Absolutely. I have Believe, Lark, i3, i4 and Starsea. All excellent IEMs with good tuning. Even the more affordable ones are good as well, KB04 and KB06 are competitive.

May 3, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #27,843 of 31,849
Absolutely. I have Believe, Lark, i3, i4 and Starsea. All excellent IEMs with good tuning. Even the more affordable ones are good as well, KB04 and KB06 are competitive.
Sadly my only KBEar is Opal which I got for $8 as part of Nicehck lucky bag🤣🤣🤣 and it is by far my worst purchase by comfortably beating Sennheiser CX275s 😅

Maybe I will try one of their mid-fi offerings like Starsea or some sequel to Believe.

May 3, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #27,844 of 31,849
Are they have signature BA metalic sound like c12?
No, they're not.

Its a little bit on the bass-side, but it still having some clarity. The best part is imaging and soundstage, really nice for that price.

The worst part is packaging and accesories, u will need cable and tips to get the best of them.

May 3, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #27,845 of 31,849
Sadly my only KBEar is Opal which I got for $8 as part of Nicehck lucky bag🤣🤣🤣 and it is by far my worst purchase by comfortably beating Sennheiser CX275s 😅

Maybe I will try one of their mid-fi offerings like Starsea or some sequel to Believe.
Kbear diamond for the actual 50€ price is astonishing, one of the best of my collection if u want a bass-iem

May 3, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #27,846 of 31,849
Kbear diamond for the actual 50€ price is astonishing, one of the best of my collection if u want a bass-iem
Diamond is sadly not cup of my tea. I have demoed it and I find them too V-shaped. The tuning is spot on as it was coming on the back of BL03 hype train with better materials and build quality for those who like V-shaped IEMs with extra warmth.

May 3, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #27,847 of 31,849

Yes, the Opal was not a good one. Really weird tuning, sounded thin and out of phase. KBEAR have redeemed themselves since then!

May 3, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #27,848 of 31,849
My first chi-fi, before I even knew that was a term lol.

This is actually something a lot of brands do in china, its probably the standard over there, you know, since having a bigger number looks better lol.
Yea Super Saiyan 4 sounds stronger than 2 😂

May 3, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #27,849 of 31,849
Diamond is sadly not cup of my tea. I have demoed it and I find them too V-shaped. The tuning is spot on as it was coming on the back of BL03 hype train with better materials and build quality for those who like V-shaped IEMs with extra warmth.
KBear seemed tuning their entry models with V-shaped, with exception of Lark. The mid and high-end seemed more neutral and very nicely tuned👍

May 3, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #27,851 of 31,849
how would the starsea compare to fiio fh3?
You can find recorded sigunature recording in this comparative review for FH3 / Starsea /Yume. So you can actually listen to how those IEM reproducing the music samples through simulated dummy heads and ear canals.
https://kxat2lldqnjdqpzaoc5vz3o7cq-...og/review/chi-fi-earphone-recording-review-4/
A3181254-B0AF-4303-B23B-F1CCC283A957.png

By the way I have FH3’s simpler composition EA3(it’s FH1’s repackaging) . That made me an awful impression so I decided to stay away from FiiO IEMs. FiiO is good for DAP/Amps, not IEM to me personally.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #27,852 of 31,849
May 3, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #27,853 of 31,849
It is sobering to revisit some older IEMs after waxing lyrical over the newest models, however good they sound. I have been enjoying the CCA CKX and was impressed by the performance of the song here, but today dug out my Tin T3 and it was amazing. Treble extension, soundstage and bass depth and speed. Here is the track:

May 3, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #27,854 of 31,849
KBear seemed tuning their entry models with V-shaped, with exception of Lark. The mid and high-end seemed more neutral and very nicely tuned👍
Yes, the impressions have been very positive.
Yes, the Opal was not a good one. Really weird tuning, sounded thin and out of phase. KBEAR have redeemed themselves since then!
Yes looks likely as you and many fellow members have been praising their newer IEMs. I have Believe available locally for ~$200 and Starsea for ~$120. I think believe will suit my preferences more but I'd probably demo them before purchasing.

May 3, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #27,855 of 31,849
Tips, burn in and amplification all make a difference to the KS1 (I've also replaced the cable, make of that what you will). OOTB it's got wooly bass and recessed mids. A few tweaks later and it sounds how I like it (natural-ish, but with weight). Not so good as the BL05S but leagues better than the DQ6 to my ears.
I have now given the KS1 100+ hours of pink noise burn-in.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/free-burn-in-files.466827/

Frankly, I don't hear any difference.

The bass still has extra quantity but the pitch is clear. The vocals have presence, clearer than a lot of V-shaped IEMs I've heard--they did before burn-in. The soundstage isn't gigantic but it's not claustrophobic either.

I'm using an AK70 player, which should have decent amplification, so that may help. Also the semi-rigid BYEYZ silicone tips (driver flex though).

The player has EQ, and dialing down the bass a little makes a serious improvement.

Now that the KS1 are something like $12 (with discount coupon) on Amazon, seems like they'd be a great choice for anyone's hazardous-duty IEMs, especially bassheads. And what the heck, if you hate them you've still got a 2-pin cable to use on another set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back