CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 29, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #26,806 of 31,833
Still really enjoying the Open Heart resin IEMs. I have fitted Spiral Dots and they sound superb. Over 150 hours on them now and they are far better than the BL-01and BL-03 IMHO. A fabulous single DD set which sounds fine with all genres.
I have been teetering on the edge for a minute with these.. You almost have pushed me over especially with the far better statement... Thanks a lot.. Lol

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #26,807 of 31,833
Yes, that's all very true about the V90. I wonder if this 'closed-in' feel you refer to about the mids is the same as what I experience as 'dryness' in the frequencies above the bass.

I'm not sure what the best way to interpret metal is. Certainly, technicalities are important here. As you suggest, it's probably subjective.

Time to break out the BA5 and V90 again to test against BL-05S for metal and electronica. It will give me an excuse to put the copper cable on the BA5, pit it against the BL-01.

I've just done a bit of A/B listening between the TRN V90 and the BL05S (LG V40/Tidal (highest quality)/ES100 (V90 is on a balanced cable)) using

Psychosocial (Slipknot), Nymphetamine Fix (Cradle of Filth) and Needles (System of a Down) and yeah the v90 does reach a bit lower but to my ears sounds quite a bit thinner and slightly unnatural in the mids (the dryness you mentioned, I expect). Technicalities are on a similar level to each other, though they are most apparent in the mids of the 05S and the treble of the V90. What ruins the V90's interpretation of those track is partly a lack of attack and heft compared to the 05S, but more importantly I found the V90 to be quite uncomfortable to listen to as the volume went up whereas the 05S I feel I could turn up until I literally went deaf(er). To people who don't listen at 40something dude who played in bands and messed his hearing up volumes the V90 probably acquits itself far better.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #26,808 of 31,833
I have been teetering on the edge for a minute with these.. You almost have pushed me over especially with the far better statement... Thanks a lot.. Lol

Yep, I just pulled the trigger. Despite having KZ DQ6 and something else... *opens AliExpress* oh, the Tin T1 Plus already on order... 🤦‍♂️

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #26,810 of 31,833
I'm seeing 30 usd with the cable... Is that the same as £22?

Yeah, that's about the same. I remember when 30 dollars was about 17 quid, these days it's often closer to 1:1.

Edit :- hence me being unable to comprehend that the Tin P1 isn't a sub $100 IEM!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #26,811 of 31,833
Yep, I just pulled the trigger. Despite having KZ DQ6 and something else... *opens AliExpress* oh, the Tin T1 Plus already on order... 🤦‍♂️
Yeah, I've got DQ6 on the way as well.. I'm wondering if the OH Resin will sound the same with a different cable, if so I would just order the iem... But @Nimweth is saying the cable is very nice also.. Difference of 10usd...decisions decisions...

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #26,812 of 31,833
I'm on the fence with cables making a difference sonically. Certainly there are cables on IEMs which just sound bad, but there are also more cables which look bad, tangle badly or fall to pieces. And the cable you need is invariably not the one you have 6 of just lying around.

I've bought the one with the cable. If I don't like the IEM I'll have a spare cable kicking around for something at a later date.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #26,813 of 31,833
I'm seeing 30 usd with the cable... Is that the same as £22?
I got them for £22 including the cable, no vouchers or special offers. That's $29.71 so yes, $30.

Dec 29, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #26,814 of 31,833
Yes, that's all very true about the V90. I wonder if this 'closed-in' feel you refer to about the mids is the same as what I experience as 'dryness' in the frequencies above the bass.

I'm not sure what the best way to interpret metal is. Certainly, technicalities are important here. As you suggest, it's probably subjective.

Time to break out the BA5 and V90 again to test against BL-05S for metal and electronica. It will give me an excuse to put the copper cable on the BA5, pit it against the BL-01.
What do you think about the trn v80? Have you tried it?

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #26,815 of 31,833
I have 3 TRN V80, gave one away.

The TRN V80 was one of the my first introduction to Chi-Fi (along with T2 and Banned V2).

The V80 is a hot mess. That's not a bad thing. The timbre of the treble is way off, and it's treble-hot. Something of a bass and treble-cannon, if memory serves.

So why do I like it?

I use it on transit. Sometimes, transit can be noisy. I can't hear all the subtleties of a Tin T4 / King Pro or the bass in a CNT-1.

But I can hear the V80 very well. It makes certain genres [alternative hip-hop, U.K. garage, grime, and post-punk] shine on that ride.

It is in no way a faithful representation of anything, but with those genres [and maybe heavy metal], I enjoy it.

It also has great fit, and eventually became very cheap [I got one pair for $18]. Usually runs about $25 when I was looking.

They also look good, I wear the reflective blue one and have a red one still in-box.

You have to watch out for TRN quality control though. The second blue one I bought was simply different, and sounded inferior. So that's a 50% success rate with these.

I think it's a good disposable commuting IEM for harsh music, overall. It's also good to buy along with the Tin T2 [if cheap] and KZ ZS-10 Pro [if cheap] to see what kind of sound signature you like. [CCA C10 as well].

A more modern combination to buy to test signatures might be the cheaper BLONs, the T2+ [when on sale], and a last-gen KZ like the ZSX. Also the cheap KBears. You could replace the T2+ maybe with an HZSound Heart Mirror.

So I recc. the V80 for disposable heavy trash music commuting. It also plays TV shows really, really well on the commute. You don't want 'accuracy' in that situation.

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #26,816 of 31,833

KZ DQ6 is another great iem, smooth and airy tuning liked ZAX, plenty of bass but few bass bleed.
The 3DDs are just working very well with smooth transition, and easy to drive.
If you don't want see tons of glue inside the shell, you are suggested to get the grey color instead :wink:

PXL_20201224_113708219.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #26,817 of 31,833
I have just listened to this on the Open Heart. Sub bass is amazing and staging is vast!

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #26,819 of 31,833
My KP580 V2 just arrived. Seller said the V2 got the connector fix and has a wider soundstage. First impression the KP580 V2 is more detail compared to my ZAX and similar soundstage. Slightly forward vocal like the ASX. The V2 dont have the copper ring at the connector and so far don't have any problem.
KP580V2.jpg

I wasn’t even aware that there was a a problem with the original one. The threaded mmcx weren’t a big deal, because a standard mmcx cable for just fine.

If anything, they needed to fix the driver flex problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back