CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 30, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #26,822 of 31,834
So far have not encountered any driver flex with this unit.

I have another set on the way, so hopefully they are wired in phase and have no driver flex :)

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #26,823 of 31,834
Dec 30, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #26,824 of 31,834
How is DQ6 against Blon 03 or Blon 01?

Blon 01 mids is warmer, thicker and upfront, bass is more dominant.
DQ6 mids is brighter, more transparent with better extension. Both resolution and separation are better for DQ6 with more 3D sounding. It's quite surprising the 3DDs can produce very beautiful highs like the BAs. You can consider DQ6 as a bass version of ZAX, and the overall SQ is closed to each other.

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #26,826 of 31,834
Update: I’ve decided to YOLO and try the DQSM Hermits over the “safer” TRN V90S. It’s only got two posts about it and a couple Indonesian reviews I had to google translate. Seems to be neutral-bright, possibly a little bass light but has a very big soundstage. Benefits from more power.

I still need to do more research, I’ve been at it for a while but I figure a kindly member can steer me away or towards some IEMs? I have the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro coming in to drive them.

My bigger priority is comfort because I’m going to use these for long FPS shooter gaming sessions and some music. I’m okay with deeper insertion (actually prefer it, so it doesn’t fall out constantly and better sound isolation), tho my ears are a little small. I don’t like overly heavy, big shells.

My sound signature preference is pretty open: neutral, somewhat v-shaped with clean bass and sparkly treble, etc. I don’t like messy bass monsters.

Ones I’m looking at:
DQSM Hermit.
Kbear KS2.
Openheart Resin.
Moondrop Spaceship.
TRN V90 or V90S.
HZSound Heart Mirror.
Moondrop SSR or SSP.
KZ ZAX.
Final Audio E1000.
Etymotic ER2XR. (On sale)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #26,827 of 31,834
I still need to do more research, I’ve been at it for a while but I figure a kindly member can steer me away or towards some IEMs? I have the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro coming in to drive them.

My bigger priority is comfort because I’m going to use these for long FPS shooter gaming sessions and some music. I’m okay with deeper insertion (actually prefer it, so it doesn’t fall out constantly and better sound isolation), tho my ears are a little small. I don’t like overly heavy, big shells.

My sound signature preference is pretty open: neutral, somewhat v-shaped with clean bass and sparkly treble, etc. I don’t like messy bass monsters.

Ones I’m looking at:
DQSM Hermit.
Kbear KS2.
Openheart Resin.
Moondrop Spaceship.
TRN V90 or V90S.
HZSound Heart Mirror.
Moondrop SSR or SSP.
KZ ZAX.
Final Audio E1000.

Personally, I think headphones are a better option for gaming. Any reason why you are going for an IEM for gaming? IEMs are comparatively weaker in soundstage, just my 2 cents. But if it must be an IEM for gaming, my friends have told me good things about the Final Audio E500 (it is about $20ish on DROP sometimes) for this purpose. I've read it has good imaging and is very suited for binaural songs. TRN V90S may also be suitable, it is V shaped, but rather open in soundstage, clean and tight bass, higher treble quite sparkly. Easy to drive too.

Based on your post, I would skip these sets for the following reasons:
1) Skip KBEAR KS - boomy flabby bass, overly V shaped. Wide soundstage though. But you don't like "messy bass monsters".
2) Skip HZSound Heart Mirror - it has a narrow soundstage. Also needs amping to scale better. I don't think Tempotec Sonata HD Pro can drive it optimally IMHO.
3) Skip Moondrop SSR - bad isolation. Also needs a powerful sources to scale better. Shouty at 3 kHz region. If u play FPS, gunshots will probably blow out your eardrum. Not sure about the SSP bassier variant, but reviews and graphs also show a 3 kHz peak there.

Hope the others can help u too, haven't tried the others in your list.

Dec 31, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #26,828 of 31,834
Personally, I think headphones are a better option for gaming. Any reason why you are going for an IEM for gaming? IEMs are comparatively weaker in soundstage, just my 2 cents. But if it must be an IEM for gaming, my friends have told me good things about the Final Audio E500 (it is about $20ish on DROP sometimes) for this purpose. I've read it has good imaging and is very suited for binaural songs. TRN V90S may also be suitable, it is V shaped, but rather open in soundstage, clean and tight bass, higher treble quite sparkly. Easy to drive too.

1) Skip KBEAR KS - boomy flabby bass, overly V shaped. Wide soundstage though. But you don't like "messy bass monsters".
2) Skip HZSound Heart Mirror - it has a narrow soundstage. Also needs amping to scale better. I don't think Tempotec Sonata HD Pro can drive it optimally IMHO.
3) Skip Moondrop SSR - bad isolation. Also needs a powerful sources to scale better. Shouty at 3 kHz region. If u play FPS, gunshots will probably blow out your eardrum. Not sure about the SSP bassier variant, but reviews and graphs also show a 3 kHz peak there.

Headphones are uncomfortable for long periods of time for me. I wear glasses and my ears are sensitive. I’ve had quite a few different pairs and the most comfortable pair was Sennheisers who failed pretty fast :p Thanks for the help, that helps narrow down things for me.

Dec 31, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #26,829 of 31,834

Ones I’m looking at:
DQSM Hermit.
Kbear KS2.
Openheart Resin.
Moondrop Spaceship.
TRN V90 or V90S.
HZSound Heart Mirror.
Moondrop SSR or SSP.
KZ ZAX.
Final Audio E1000.

from what i have and seems to work better for FPS are the KZ ZSX and Blon BL01. those two seems to accentuate footsteps and have a closer, more in-your-head kind of staging, good at mimicking first person perspective. for 3rd person perspective gaming though, i prefer my T2+, Kanas, DM6, BL03, or headphones (WH1000XM3)

Dec 31, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #26,830 of 31,834
My KP580 V2 just arrived. Seller said the V2 got the connector fix and has a wider soundstage. First impression the KP580 V2 is more detail compared to my ZAX and similar soundstage. Slightly forward vocal like the ASX. The V2 dont have the copper ring at the connector and so far don't have any problem.
KP580V2.jpg
WTH there's a version 2? Wonder how different it sounds from v.1...

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #26,831 of 31,834

I agree; I’d get some nice open backed or semi-open backed headphones with the Brainwavz gel cooling earpads.

Dec 31, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #26,832 of 31,834
Listening to Andreas Vollenweider "Caverna Magica" on the Open Heart Resin. I am using the MMCX cable from my Tin T3 and Spiral Dots. The best combination so far!

Dec 31, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #26,833 of 31,834
Headphones are uncomfortable for long periods of time for me. I wear glasses and my ears are sensitive. I’ve had quite a few different pairs and the most comfortable pair was Sennheisers who failed pretty fast :p Thanks for the help, that helps narrow down things for me.
I recommend earbuds then. Check out the NiceHCK DIY MX500, much cheaper than iems and has a lot bigger soundstage (unless you go up to the 300 usd range for iems, then you will find iems with bigger soundstage).

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #26,834 of 31,834
You may want to try some IEMs which are worn cable down. Small and comfortable examples include TRN M10, Smabat NCO and KZ ED9 amongst others. There will be lots of Head Fi members who could suggest other models.

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #26,835 of 31,834
I recommend earbuds then. Check out the NiceHCK DIY MX500, much cheaper than iems and has a lot bigger soundstage (unless you go up to the 300 usd range for iems, then you will find iems with bigger soundstage).

That's another good option. Only issue with earbuds for gaming is they lack isolation and subbass (in general), but they are relatively cheap for the sound, and I'd say they are closer to open backed headphones than IEMs actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back