CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 27, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #26,791 of 31,849
That’s odd that they are very hard to drive. The specs list the impedance and sensitivity as 16Ω @ 106dB/mW
I've read somewhere that the Moondrop Spaceship which has the same specs is also surprisingly hard to drive. Like I increase the volume 2x compared to my KP580 just to get the same volume on each IEM, considering that the Poppy is a bullet-type and goes deeper in your ear.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #26,793 of 31,849
Wouldn't have expected that from a $7 fixed-cable design..
I know. It doesn't make sense 😂. For example, when I use the Senfees KP580, I set it at 34/100. On the Faaeal Poppy, I need to increase to around 60/100 just to get the same loudness.

Dec 28, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #26,794 of 31,849
Still really enjoying the Open Heart resin IEMs. I have fitted Spiral Dots and they sound superb. Over 150 hours on them now and they are far better than the BL-01and BL-03 IMHO. A fabulous single DD set which sounds fine with all genres.

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #26,795 of 31,849
Hi, im searching for good iems on $50-$60 price range that are good for listening to metal mostly. I'm seaching for something with good isolation and soundstage.
About the songs i listen, most of them are high mid dominant with less bass dominance and have busy sections with blast beats. Any help will be appreciated.

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #26,796 of 31,849
Hi, im searching for good iems on $50-$60 price range that are good for listening to metal mostly. I'm seaching for something with good isolation and soundstage.
About the songs i listen, most of them are high mid dominant with less bass dominance and have busy sections with blast beats. Any help will be appreciated.

I'm not really a metalhead, but I have found myself listening to a lot more metal with the Blon BL05S (s model, not plural) than any other IEM. It has a weight and a punch to its presentation and it, while not having a huge soundstage, separates instruments so well it is easy to hear what is going on even in complex and heavily distorted sections of music.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #26,797 of 31,849
Dec 29, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #26,798 of 31,849
Dec 29, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #26,799 of 31,849
How do they compare to the 05S?
Actually they are very similar but the Open Heart is more resolving with improved separation and layering. I really like the 05s but the Open Heart is a real revelation. Wonderful stock cable as well and no MMCX issues.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #26,800 of 31,849
I'm not really a metalhead, but I have found myself listening to a lot more metal with the Blon BL05S (s model, not plural) than any other IEM. It has a weight and a punch to its presentation and it, while not having a huge soundstage, separates instruments so well it is easy to hear what is going on even in complex and heavily distorted sections of music.

This is something I'm struggling with. Based on your comments, I'm trying to use the BL-05S for metal. I found it to have the speed for metal, and like the BL-01 it can be very weighty and deliver punch with notes. But I just don't find the bass resonating like I expect.

I will continue testing the BL-05S against the BL-01, see which works better. Last night I found that one was better than the other for DnB, forgot which, lol!

Currently, V90 is my metal IEM and has yet to be dethroned. KZs aren't bad, either.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #26,801 of 31,849
Actually they are very similar but the Open Heart is more resolving with improved separation and layering. I really like the 05s but the Open Heart is a real revelation. Wonderful stock cable as well and no MMCX issues.

Improved separation? Either I've got an unusually good pair of Blons or I need to check the Open Heart out. Thanks.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #26,802 of 31,849
Improved separation? Either I've got an unusually good pair of Blons or I need to check the Open Heart out. Thanks.
Soundstage and separation on the BL-05s is indeed excellent but the Open Heart really is special. You can't go wrong for £22 and you get a cable that's worth that on its own!

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #26,803 of 31,849
This is something I'm struggling with. Based on your comments, I'm trying to use the BL-05S for metal. I found it to have the speed for metal, and like the BL-01 it can be very weighty and deliver punch with notes. But I just don't find the bass resonating like I expect.

I will continue testing the BL-05S against the BL-01, see which works better. Last night I found that one was better than the other for DnB, forgot which, lol!

Currently, V90 is my metal IEM and has yet to be dethroned. KZs aren't bad, either.

Different strokes for different folks. The BL05S doesn't reach the same lows as the BL01. I guess as more of a punk I'm more about fast punchy bass than out and out lows. For me the separation of the BL05S is the difference between not liking metal very much and "ooh, actually this is pretty cool".

The V90 does have good bass, but for me just feels a bit closed in in the mids for metal, though probably if I was recommending an all round IEM for somebody who just wanted 1 IEM rather than a collection (some people), it would be one that I'd recommend for most people. Just a good all rounder, and easier to drive than most DDs for good measure.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #26,804 of 31,849
Yes, that's all very true about the V90. I wonder if this 'closed-in' feel you refer to about the mids is the same as what I experience as 'dryness' in the frequencies above the bass.

I'm not sure what the best way to interpret metal is. Certainly, technicalities are important here. As you suggest, it's probably subjective.

Time to break out the BA5 and V90 again to test against BL-05S for metal and electronica. It will give me an excuse to put the copper cable on the BA5, pit it against the BL-01.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back