CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 29, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #26,521 of 31,833
I seem to have been living under a rock and missed when namesake of the MT100 was ousted:rolling_eyes: Slater may have to refresh me:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

haha, I’ve been living under a rock myself the last 3 months, so I’m probably more lost than you :)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #26,522 of 31,833
Speaking of a nice budget iem I’ve been jamming to some Mighty Diamonds with KBE’s mighty Diamonds on the new Quedelix while watching some BTC :wink: Needed something slower to decompress after watching the Bahrain F1 earlier, after watching Roman slam that barrier and surviving I’m for sure a firm believer in the Halo in these F1 cars today:thumbsup:

43AAF8C5-0E6A-4CC0-91AD-DE94F040521D.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #26,523 of 31,833
Speaking of a nice budget iem I’ve been jamming to some Mighty Diamonds with KBE’s mighty Diamonds on the new Quedelix while watching some BTC :wink: Needed something slower to decompress after watching the Bahrain F1 earlier, after watching Roman slam that barrier and surviving I’m for sure a firm believer in the Halo in these F1 cars today:thumbsup:

I’m torn between the Quedelix and the BTR3K as they are very close in SQ however I like the glass and heft of the BTR as well as the replaceable clip but the Quedelix is a killer firm factor as well:scream: Guess I’ll just keep listening to them both:grin:
E9C0844F-9617-417F-B35F-74510DB64ADE.jpeg

Nov 29, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #26,526 of 31,833
Smabat NCO continues to impress. After even more burn in the resolution is extraordinary. Very wide frequency range, large soundstage and big bold presentation. The best DD bass I have heard from the Maze system, just like transmission line bass, natural, deep and airy. My new No. 1 DD IEM and very close to matching my best one, the TRI i3.

So I had to give the SMABAT NCO a few days before I gave my impressions as it didn't really wow me straight away. To get the bad out of the way... the cable is not good. It looks decent enough but there's a ton of cable noise coming from it. They aren't really designed to be worn over-ear and their tiny size doesn't do well with a heavier cable... I felt a lot of tug from the weight, not helped by the giant plastic cable splitter. It also has a plastic feel, not far off the cheap generic KZ cables. It looks very similar to the one that came with the Heart Mirror, but there's a different texture to that one and much more give.

They are TINY. Much smaller than the pictures show. That's not a bad thing though, I really like the build and size. Very comfortable. One big issue though is the lack of a lip on the nozzle. Being small the nozzle is also really slim, luckily the tips that came with it are decent. I managed to get a Spinfits on them but one came loose in my ear and the tweezers had to come out. The Final e3000 tips though work really well with them and have more grip.

SOUND - These are a very pleasant listen and I say that as a huge positive. Very musical and just damn right enjoyable with anything you hit them with. Initially, I found the bass a bit dry which reminded me of the Soundmagic e50 and a certain brand I can't mention or you'll just see a bunch of asterisks (Y V2). This seemed to hinder some male voices, making them sound a bit recessed, but once you get used to them tho there it becomes less of an issue and actually works well within the sound signature and the balance. They have a very good amount of detail, maybe close to the HZSOUND Heart Mirror. The HM tho is a bit clearer due to being more extended up top and brighter, the NCO tho better down low. They both perform equally as good tho IMO (I'd maybe give the Heart the nod tho, especially as it's become one of my favourite IEMs). Bass on the NCO is punchy and has great resolution, nice depth... not super low, but it has just the right weight, no bloat whatsoever. Kinda like the e3000. MIDS tiny bit recessed as I said but mostly with some male vocals (at times), but good micro detail, good separation. Treble is just right, nice snap to drums. Cymbals could be clearer tho but they do shine. Soundstage pops with great stereo imaging and a nice holographic soundstage. It's not super wide, but it's very open sounding. Reminds me of the Beyerdynamic Byron.

These do not play well with low-quality overly compressed files or badly mixed music. Using them on YT where you can find a lot of low bitrate mp3s they can sound rough. Not the fault of the NCO obviously.

I really wish I could find my Soundmagic e50 as they really remind me of them (based on memory so I could be totally off).

Conclusion - I can see me using these a lot, especially on the go. Pair nice with my FIIO M6 which is flat and balanced and adds some nice air into the sound of the NCO and boosts the upper mids a tad. Hit them with some power they become fuller and take on some weight without exaggerating the sound. I'll most likely change the cable tho to something lighter and looser. Another great sub £50 earphone to be added to the growing list.

(SMABAT cable on the RIGHT)
IMG_20201129_231117.jpg

(NO LIP ON NOZZLE)
IMG_20201129_222411.jpg

(TINY)
IMG_20201129_230340.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #26,527 of 31,833
So I had to give the SMABAT NCO a few days before I gave my impressions as it didn't really wow me straight away. To get the bad out of the way... the cable is not good. It looks decent enough but there's a ton of cable noise coming from it. They aren't really designed to be worn over-ear and their tiny size doesn't do well with a heavier cable... I felt a lot of tug from the weight, not helped by the giant plastic cable splitter. It also has a plastic feel, not far off the cheap generic KZ cables. It looks very similar to the one that came with the Heart Mirror, but there's a different texture to that one and much more give.

They are TINY. Much smaller than the pictures show. That's not a bad thing though, I really like the build and size. Very comfortable. One big issue though is the lack of a lip on the nozzle. Being small the nozzle is also really slim, luckily the tips that came with it are decent. I managed to get a Spinfits on them but one came loose in my ear and the tweezers had to come out. The Final e3000 tips though work really well with them and have more grip.

SOUND - These are a very pleasant listen and I say that as a huge positive. Very musical and just damn right enjoyable with anything you hit them with. Initially, I found the bass a bit dry which reminded me of the Soundmagic e50 and a certain brand I can't mention or you'll just see a bunch of asterisks (Y V2). This seemed to hinder some male voices, making them sound a bit recessed, but once you get used to them tho there it becomes less of an issue and actually works well within the sound signature and the balance. They have a very good amount of detail, maybe close to the HZSOUND Heart Mirror. The HM tho is a bit clearer due to being more extended up top and brighter, the NCO tho better down low. They both perform equally as good tho IMO (I'd maybe give the Heart the nod tho, especially as it's become one of my favourite IEMs). Bass on the NCO is punchy and has great resolution, nice depth... not super low, but it has just the right weight, no bloat whatsoever. Kinda like the e3000. MIDS tiny bit recessed as I said but mostly with some male vocals (at times), but good micro detail, good separation. Treble is just right, nice snap to drums. Cymbals could be clearer tho but they do shine. Soundstage pops with great stereo imaging and a nice holographic soundstage. It's not super wide, but it's very open sounding. Reminds me of the Beyerdynamic Byron.

These do not play well with low-quality overly compressed files or badly mixed music. Using them on YT where you can find a lot of low bitrate mp3s they can sound rough. Not the fault of the NCO obviously.

I really wish I could find my Soundmagic e50 as they really remind me of them (based on memory so I could be totally off).

Conclusion - I can see me using these a lot, especially on the go. Pair nice with my FIIO M6 which is flat and balanced and adds some nice air into the sound of the NCO and boosts the upper mids a tad. Hit them with some power they become fuller and take on some weight without exaggerating the sound. I'll most likely change the cable tho to something lighter and looser. Another great sub £50 earphone to be added to the growing list.

IMG_20201129_231117.jpg

(NO LIP ON NOZZLE)
IMG_20201129_222411.jpg

(TINY)
IMG_20201129_230340.jpg

Thanks for your impressions!

How is the isolation on this set?

And I saw a marked subbass roll off on the store page graph, do u find this so?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #26,528 of 31,833
Because they are all ablaze over in the Chinese thread about comparing the **** MT100 and the LZ A7 (The **** is nice but it's in no way an LZ A7) and I like **** heck I think these babies right here are a steal and balanced they can flat out scare some $50 to $75 offerings :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Heck I bought them in both colors I like them so much:grin:

4in1 X 2.JPG
I still have both as well. :beerchug:

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #26,529 of 31,833
I'm starting to look at $ 100 IEMs (upwards too) to see the sonarity of that price range.

With a very detailed and balanced sound. Is it complicated to find?

U can read about the TRI Starsea. It has very good fit, isolation and technicalities. It also has 4 tuning options via switches, can be V shaped to U shaped to neutralish. It sounds quite "reference" like and for some it may sound a bit boring (not as "fun" sounding as other sets). One thing is that is has a very low impedance of 9ish ohms, so it pairs the best with sources < 1 ohm output impedance, and there's a bit of BA timbre for some acoustic instruments in the higher frequencies. But otherwise u can see it as getting 4 IEMs in one purchase due to the tuning switches, so it is very versatile and I really like that excellent technical performance it brings to the $100 region.

Nov 30, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #26,530 of 31,833

IMG_20201129_231117.jpg

(NO LIP ON NOZZLE)
IMG_20201129_222411.jpg

(TINY)
IMG_20201129_230340.jpg
Try this one on the NCO for a nice bit of sub bass:

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #26,531 of 31,833

IMG_20201129_231117.jpg

(NO LIP ON NOZZLE)
IMG_20201129_222411.jpg

(TINY)
IMG_20201129_230340.jpg
I agree about the cable, I changed it for the silver plated one which came with the M1 Pro and there is a little more sparkle and air which balances out the bass very nicely.

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #26,532 of 31,833
Nov 30, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #26,533 of 31,833
U can read about the TRI Starsea. It has very good fit, isolation and technicalities. It also has 4 tuning options via switches, can be V shaped to U shaped to neutralish. It sounds quite "reference" like and for some it may sound a bit boring (not as "fun" sounding as other sets). One thing is that is has a very low impedance of 9ish ohms, so it pairs the best with sources < 1 ohm output impedance, and there's a bit of BA timbre for some acoustic instruments in the higher frequencies. But otherwise u can see it as getting 4 IEMs in one purchase due to the tuning switches, so it is very versatile and I really like that excellent technical performance it brings to the $100 region.

I'm going to take a look at him, thank you very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back