CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #21,796 of 31,833
What is your:
1) budget?
2) preferred sound signature - you like neutral, V shaped, harman, basshead, midcentric, treblehead etc?
3) preferred music genres?

I'll bite

1) 35-50 or up to around 100; next tier up to around 200 USD
2) neutral to harman with mids emphasized, highs shouldn't roll off too early, sparkle without piercing would be appreciated (piezo-electric driver preferred ?); KZ AS10 with its rolled off highs sounds somewhat blunt and lifeless if I may say (not sure if that sounds accurate)
3) "epic music" (film music), but also classical, instrumental, anime soundtracks (mostly female voices, japanese, korean, chinese; male voices shouldn't be thin or weightless, female voices not piercing), rock, pop, jazz, basically all music variants

does a relatively "good" IEM exist in those 3 ranges ?

with replaceable cable ?

I've got the Nicehck NX7 which I'm quite happy, it might be the only really "good" IEM so far, voices, bass, treble the whole package is nice - currently waiting for the Faaeal HIbiscus Litz cable

would be interesting to read what your take is on that.

I won't be buying an IEM too soon but if there's an opportunity with massively reduced price perhaps I'll bite.

No TRN please, their QC is deterring me right now.

Thanks in advance

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #21,797 of 31,833
I like a lot of music with wildly different sonic aesthetics. From terribly recorded underground, produced-to-hurt Black Metal to chamber music and all in between. I have quickly learned to appreciate even painful IEMs like the ZS6 and also hyped but ultimately fatiguing ZS10 Pro (great for 80s Goth Rock btw.). The ZSX are in a class of their own though. Unbelievable earphones. I also have a wild collection already, the ATE, Tin T3, TRN V90, 2 sets of MH755, BL-03, **** Pro...

I don't have any CCA though, and no all-BA IEMs. What do you recommend I do next? AS16, C16, ES4, C12?
DZAT DT-10 a unique one. it's like watching batman after you watch the other DC's movies.

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #21,798 of 31,833
Does anyone know if the IBasso DC01 is worth it, I know wrong thread but, I couldn't find any promising reviews for it, I'm looking to replace it with Fiio Q1 mkii as my on the go dac, any suggestions please.
FiiO Q1 works well with iPhone, but not android. CMIIW.
as for DC01, i use it. it give a different level of staging with its balance output. worth it. but yeah, cost you more to buy balance cable replacement.

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #21,799 of 31,833
no specific genre, i listen to all kind of music. budget max to 100$. sound sig... mmm. currently my fave are DZAT DT-10, TFZ KING PRO and TRN V90

I think the best "all rounder" CHIFI that are suitable for most music genres would be the TRN V90 (which you have), the KZ ZSX (terminator) and CCA C12. They are probably side grades of each other, just tuning signature differing a bit, but technicalities are thereabouts. If u wanna upgrade from these 3, I personally would think it is diminishing returns involved, and you would be paying much more to get to the next tier of refinement, will probably be more than $100 USD.

Are you happy with the TRN V90 or are there any areas in the TRN V90 you would like an improvement in?

I'll bite

1) 35-50 or up to around 100; next tier up to around 200 USD
2) neutral to harman with mids emphasized, highs shouldn't roll off too early, sparkle without piercing would be appreciated (piezo-electric driver preferred ?); KZ AS10 with its rolled off highs sounds somewhat blunt and lifeless if I may say (not sure if that sounds accurate)
3) "epic music" (film music), but also classical, instrumental, anime soundtracks (mostly female voices, japanese, korean, chinese; male voices shouldn't be thin or weightless, female voices not piercing), rock, pop, jazz, basically all music variants

does a relatively "good" IEM exist in those 3 ranges ?

with replaceable cable ?

I've got the Nicehck NX7 which I'm quite happy, it might be the only really "good" IEM so far, voices, bass, treble the whole package is nice - currently waiting for the Faaeal HIbiscus Litz cable

would be interesting to read what your take is on that.

I won't be buying an IEM too soon but if there's an opportunity with massively reduced price perhaps I'll bite.

No TRN please, their QC is deterring me right now.

Thanks in advance

I don't have the NiceHCK NX7, but read good things about it and the Pro version.

If u like a midcentric IEM, my go to would be the Hisenior B5+. It doesn't fulfill all of your criteria strictly, but it is definitely mids emphasized and good for instrumental/soundtracks/vocals. It has 5 Knowles BA, about $80 USD usually. It is quite atypically tuned from the usual CHIFI that has a bright 2- 4 kHz peak. The Hisenior B5+ is N shaped, with roll offs at the extreme frequencies, and it has boosted lower mids relative to upper mids/lower treble, so it is very good for male vocals. It is not fatiguing as such and not piercing for female vocals, but it might lose a bit of sparkle in the treble/upper mids, I think it's a tradeoff. Timbre is very good for an all BA set, but soundstage is not the widest. Details, clarity, imaging, instrument separation excellent for an all BA set. It would excel at vocals, but male vocals better than female vocals. It takes well to EQ so I usually boost the subbass a bit due to my basshead tendencies, but I think those that like a neutralish bass will like it in stock tuning.

I think most japanese/anime music has female vocals usually? So something boosted at the upper mids area would suit you, but I personally am not a fan of the 2 - 4 kHz peak as it gets fatiguing after a while. There aren't many midcentric sets at this price range in CHIFI, most are tuned harmanish or V shaped for consumer tastes. Worth reading about the Hisenior B5+ to see if you like it.

Otherwise I've read good stuff about the Tin T2 and Tin T4, but I gave those a miss due to their lesser bass. Maybe the others can give advise too!

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #21,800 of 31,833
FiiO Q1 works well with iPhone, but not android. CMIIW.
as for DC01, i use it. it give a different level of staging with its balance output. worth it. but yeah, cost you more to buy balance cable replacement.

Q1 mkii works well on my android it's just bulky and takes a lot of battery from phone, and I use mostly balanced so that's why going for balanced I already placed the order and now heard about 9038s, have any idea about it.

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #21,801 of 31,833
Q1 mkii works well on my android it's just bulky and takes a lot of battery from phone, and I use mostly balanced so that's why going for balanced I already placed the order and now heard about 9038s, have any idea about it.
9038S is an incredible value, but be warned that it can pick up EMI from your phone, especially if you plan to velcro it to the back of your phone for portability, as many folks do. Also, make sure you have a cable prepared. Short right angled USB-c to USB-c cables are not common at all. I finally found one recently on taobao and it was $20.

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #21,803 of 31,833
I am enjoying Blon BL-03 + 9038S combo more than many of my other $500-$1000 IEMs + straight out iphone combo. Truly insane value for $ spent here.
Agree, I have the same combo :) It's hard to beat it.

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #21,804 of 31,833
Late to the party I know but BQ3 arrived today. I love it! Very similar sound to ZS7, lovely sub-bass, smooth mids and non-fatiguing treble. Also very comfortable, stock tips work well for me.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #21,805 of 31,833
I think the best "all rounder" CHIFI that are suitable for most music genres would be the TRN V90 (which you have), the KZ ZSX (terminator) and CCA C12. They are probably side grades of each other, just tuning signature differing a bit, but technicalities are thereabouts. If u wanna upgrade from these 3, I personally would think it is diminishing returns involved, and you would be paying much more to get to the next tier of refinement, will probably be more than $100 USD.

Are you happy with the TRN V90 or are there any areas in the TRN V90 you would like an improvement in?

I don't have the NiceHCK NX7, but read good things about it and the Pro version.

If u like a midcentric IEM, my go to would be the Hisenior B5+. It doesn't fulfill all of your criteria strictly, but it is definitely mids emphasized and good for instrumental/soundtracks/vocals. It has 5 Knowles BA, about $80 USD usually. It is quite atypically tuned from the usual CHIFI that has a bright 2- 4 kHz peak. The Hisenior B5+ is N shaped, with roll offs at the extreme frequencies, and it has boosted lower mids relative to upper mids/lower treble, so it is very good for male vocals. It is not fatiguing as such and not piercing for female vocals, but it might lose a bit of sparkle in the treble/upper mids, I think it's a tradeoff. Timbre is very good for an all BA set, but soundstage is not the widest. Details, clarity, imaging, instrument separation excellent for an all BA set. It would excel at vocals, but male vocals better than female vocals. It takes well to EQ so I usually boost the subbass a bit due to my basshead tendencies, but I think those that like a neutralish bass will like it in stock tuning.

I think most japanese/anime music has female vocals usually? So something boosted at the upper mids area would suit you, but I personally am not a fan of the 2 - 4 kHz peak as it gets fatiguing after a while. There aren't many midcentric sets at this price range in CHIFI, most are tuned harmanish or V shaped for consumer tastes. Worth reading about the Hisenior B5+ to see if you like it.

Otherwise I've read good stuff about the Tin T2 and Tin T4, but I gave those a miss due to their lesser bass. Maybe the others can give advise too!

Much appreciated ! Thank you :)

The Hisenior B5+ has been on my radar for quite some time and that's a strong confirmation :o2smile:

Anyone has experience with guarantee / warranty handling of the shop offering it ?

I hope not but gotta plan for the worst-case scenario (I got a set of TRN V90 of which the right side gradually lowers volume after longer listening and it seems to get worse).

Shipping back is not an option and on top of that customs is bat-crap stubborn here thus yet another obstacle

(that regex word alteration in this forum is something else :ksc75smile: - changing s hit to cr ap :floatsmile: )

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #21,806 of 31,833

The Hisenior B5+ has been on my radar for quite some time and that's a strong confirmation :o2smile:

Anyone has experience with guarantee / warranty handling of the shop offering it ?

I hope not but gotta plan for the worst-case scenario (I got a set of TRN V90 of which the right side gradually lowers volume after longer listening and it seems to get worse).

Shipping back is not an option and on top of that customs is bat-crap stubborn here thus yet another obstacle

(that regex word alteration in this forum is something else :ksc75smile: - changing s hit to cr ap :floatsmile: )

The B5+ is a great for midcentric folks. Below is my review of it.

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #21,808 of 31,833

The Aliexpress seller of Hisenior B5+ (I think only Topeco Electronics sells it) says there is a 1 year limited warranty on it (from speaking to them, and on their store page). But I would think sending stuff back to China for warranties would be pretty pricey, it might turn out to be even half the cost of the IEM itself sometimes.
Like @HungryPanda , it's been on my rotation on a weekly basis. Despite me being a basshead, I still go back to its addicting midcentric tuning weekly. After I heard it, it's quite hard to go back to the common V shaped CHIFI sets as the vocals are truly quite lush with it. Been using it for half a year, no QC issues so far, keeping fingers crossed.

One other thing is the Hisenior shop has their own inhouse audio engineers, so they can tune a preferred sound signature (just tell them your request) at no additional charge, though it may take about 2 weeks for them to tune it. They can do customs too if u can pass them your ear impressions. For my Hisenior B5+ I actually got them to increase the bass from the stock tuning and they kindly aceded to my request, but a few days later I changed my mind and they reverted it back to the stock tuning (as I thought it might change the FR as our ears hear the entire frequency spectrum as a whole, and the midcentric tuning might be changed for the worse). Maybe if you want to increase its longevity, they can change the MMCX connectors to 2 pin ones, which are supposedly of longer lifespan.

There's some other well recieved midcentric sets (from banned brands) that we can't discuss here, but those are way pricier than the Hisenior B5+. TRN X6 is supposedly midcentric too, I haven't tried it but a few of my friends didn't like it for general music listening, but they thought the X6 made a good studio/stage monitor.

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #21,810 of 31,833
Hi guys!

Has anyone bought the Jade Audio EA3 ?
Any idea on how it sounds ?

I have and it's yet to reach me. Probably have to wait one more week.
Bought it too but haven't get it too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back