CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 17, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #21,781 of 31,833
Dec 17, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #21,788 of 31,833
Dec 17, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #21,789 of 31,833
Faaeal Hibiscus started out sounding kind of atrocious. Very Mid-centric, rough, and narrow. After some burn-in and time spent with it, it has become pretty good. Mids got smoother, bass came up, and has very decent detail. Not stellar but pretty decent. If they were to compare it, I would say that it has a similar presentation to the CCA C12 (which is less expensive but comes with a sh**ty cord). I like it enough.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #21,790 of 31,833
Faaeal Hibiscus started out sounding kind of atrocious. Very Mid-centric, rough, and narrow. After some burn-in and time spent with it, it has become pretty good. Mids got smoother, bass came up, and has very decent detail. Not stellar but pretty decent. If they were to compare it, I would say that it has a similar presentation to the CCA C12 (which is less expensive but comes with a sh**ty cord). I like it enough.

I received my Hibiscus and I am listening even at the first moment I think it is worth its price.
He is very light and super ergonomic the fit was perfect as I haven't had in a long time.

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #21,791 of 31,833
So far I have not experienced any kind of mid or treble problems.
Many compared with Kanas Pro or Kxxs for supposedly using the same dynamic driver.
When it comes to sound, I don't think it sounds like it, it doesn't have deep bass and midrange isn't the front of the sound, the treble isn't as fatiguing as it was on Kxxs.

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #21,792 of 31,833
I am finding it extremely difficult to pull my attention away from this thread and others on Head Fi, and extremely difficult to resist buying many IEMs

Already in the couple months I have been here I have acquired:

Pioneer SE-CH4BL (x 2)
Sony MH755 (x 7)
Tin T2
Tin T4
BLON BL-03
CCA C12

My initial goal was to just read and learn and maybe try out a few IEMs very slowly as I learned about them, with the ultimate goal of discovering my "idea sound signature" (which I assumed would be "neutral" with "high isolation") and then buy a single set of over-ear headphones in with those specific characteristics. (I'd then keep the couple of pairs of IEMs I obtained for use on the go).

While I still have no idea what my "ideal sound signature" is, I am starting to believe that it is something closer to the Harman target curve, with good detail and imaging.

Yet, in this short time I have also picked up:

Topping DX3Pro V1
Radsone EarStudio ES100 MK2
AKG K275

...and I am feeling intrigued by some of the lower cost planar magnetic over-ear 'phones
...and trying hard to resist buying the TRN BA5
...and developing a wish-list a mile long

The problem with Chi-Fi is exactly as has been stated many times already: it's so easy to justify the purchase of a $20 or $30 IEM (e.g. "I'll just skip a dinner out"), and before you know it, you've purchased a dozen different IEMs without hardly the chance to give each a real critical listen before the next purchase.

All that said, I am having great fun with this, and have really enjoyed all the interactions I have had with this friendly community. Thanks to all who have helped me out with advice, impressions, feedback, suggestions, etc!

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #21,793 of 31,833
I like a lot of music with wildly different sonic aesthetics. From terribly recorded underground, produced-to-hurt Black Metal to chamber music and all in between. I have quickly learned to appreciate even painful IEMs like the ZS6 and also hyped but ultimately fatiguing ZS10 Pro (great for 80s Goth Rock btw.). The ZSX are in a class of their own though. Unbelievable earphones. I also have a wild collection already, the ATE, Tin T3, TRN V90, 2 sets of MH755, BL-03, **** Pro...

I don't have any CCA though, and no all-BA IEMs. What do you recommend I do next? AS16, C16, ES4, C12?

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #21,794 of 31,833
I like a lot of music with wildly different sonic aesthetics. From terribly recorded underground, produced-to-hurt Black Metal to chamber music and all in between. I have quickly learned to appreciate even painful IEMs like the ZS6 and also hyped but ultimately fatiguing ZS10 Pro (great for 80s Goth Rock btw.). The ZSX are in a class of their own though. Unbelievable earphones. I also have a wild collection already, the ATE, Tin T3, TRN V90, 2 sets of MH755, BL-03, **** Pro...

I don't have any CCA though, and no all-BA IEMs. What do you recommend I do next? AS16, C16, ES4, C12?
ES4 is an older KZ, I believe.

C12 feature the same drivers as ZSX. Presumably, C12 are a bit less treble shy than KZX, but different opinions are out there. C12 can be a candidate if you feel like having something close to "unbelievable" ZSX and may enjoy to pinpoint subtle differences.

C16 and AS16 are more analytically sounding all-BAs. A good choice for resolution.

AS12 may be also an option for all-BAs with a bit tamed treble and rich BA bass.

I have C12, C16, and AS12, the latter I enjoy more without stock treble filters. If you find ZS10 pro fatiguing - you may like AS12 and there is always some option to try to "mode" the treble :)

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #21,795 of 31,833
Does anyone know if the IBasso DC01 is worth it, I know wrong thread but, I couldn't find any promising reviews for it, I'm looking to replace it with Fiio Q1 mkii as my on the go dac, any suggestions please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back