CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 1, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #17,161 of 31,868
Ooh, I really loved my Etymotic ER4's, until they broke :confused:
So detailed. Low on bass, but they accepted any amount of bass you equalized in, until I couldn't handle the amount of bass myself.
yes i use sub bass EQ to compensate the roll off, with that they are in perfect balance, real 20hz-16khz bandwidth with no major peaks or dips, when you add to that amazing speed you will get surgical precision

Apr 1, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #17,163 of 31,868
Ooh, I really loved my Etymotic ER4's, until they broke :confused:
So detailed. Low on bass, but they accepted any amount of bass you equalized in, until I couldn't handle the amount of bass myself.
My Etomotic HF5's got broken as well which brought me to Chifi. It's been a fun trip so far. The odd dud of course but also so many enjoyable ones as well.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #17,164 of 31,868
Thanks a lot. It happened to me (and many others) before, so this time I followed a couple tips I found via google search (different browsers, incognito mode, ...) but to no avail so far. This time two of the shops I ordered from offered paypal and even that didn't work, lol.
Anyway, I'll keep trying ...

FWIW I always run into trouble with Ali orders with Chrome on my Mac. Could be the browser or the extensions I use. Move to Safari, where I have no add on extensions, and it works every time.

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #17,165 of 31,868
yes i use sub bass EQ to compensate the roll off, with that they are in perfect balance, real 20hz-16khz bandwidth with no major peaks or dips, when you add to that amazing speed you will get surgical precision

Someone said they sound like plugging music directly into your brain, which is pretty accurate :relaxed:
One thing was that during all the years I've used them, they kept on sounding amazing to me, never got used to the sound. One of the nozzles broke (probably because of the metal-rimmed filters) and getting them repaired was as expensive as buying a new pair.

I am also having a bit of trouble getting a good fit. Did some tip rolling and settled on the KZ Starline extra small. RHA size S also works for me.

Yes, the fit is a bit odd, also because they are pretty heavy. They don't seem to seal all that well, but they sound really good.

My Etomotic HF5's got broken as well which brought me to Chifi. It's been a fun trip so far. The odd dud of course but also so many enjoyable ones as well.

I was using a Phonak Audeo PFE 232, which used to be $600, but all three non-standard cables I have broke. Still need to put new plugs on them, which is a pretty annoying job with the flimsy cable. Then a colleague showed me a KZ ZS10, which sent me down the head-fi rabbit hole once again. :fearful:

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #17,166 of 31,868
FWIW I always run into trouble with Ali orders with Chrome on my Mac. Could be the browser or the extensions I use. Move to Safari, where I have no add on extensions, and it works every time.
Thanks, I'm on an Android smartphone and tried 4 different browsers so far and after a couple similar experiences in the past I feel tempted to cancel those unpaid orders and buy my stuff somewhere else - the little money I could save there just isn't worth all that unnecessary! extra time and I'm not even mentioning the average shipping delay (zzZ).

Back OT - apologies for the hijack.

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #17,167 of 31,868
Yes, the **** does improve with time. Try wide bore tips, a good cable and some extra power. You'll be very impressed!
Which cable do you use? Trn 8 core?

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #17,168 of 31,868
Spiral dots, on the balanced output of a FiiO X7mkII, playing mostly FLAC CD rips. The tips needed to be larger because the insertion is very shallow.

Tested wearing them over the ear, fit feels really odd, but it helps against microphonics. Sound is unchanged.

Well, it sounds like you've given it every chance.

The only 3 conclusions left would likely be:

1. You have a defective unit (which is unlikely if the sound is consistent on both sides). This defect could include burned out or damaged BA drivers, or individual drivers wired out of phase.
2. You just don't like the sound profile of the IEM. Which there's nothing wrong with that. I like what I like and don't like what I don't like too, regardless of anyone else's opinion.
3. This could be caused by your individual ear anatomy, such as fitment issues, insertion depth, ear canal resonance, etc.

I personally don't like shallow insertion IEMs, so I myself am worried because I have not received my C16 yet. Super shallow IEMs are just too inconsistent for me. They almost always just don't get a good enough seal, or the seal works its way loose very easily within a few minutes of listening. Using a longer tip like Spinfits helps with insertion depth, but I just don't like how Spinfits affect the sound. I have not tried the really wide bore Spinfits though; perhaps I should. I currently only own 2 sets of Spinfits (CP100 and an unknown model that has a medium bore and came included with the Rosewill EX500). I only use them when all else fails and it's absolutely necessary.

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #17,169 of 31,868
Apr 1, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #17,170 of 31,868
Thanks, I'm on an Android smartphone and tried 4 different browsers so far and after a couple similar experiences in the past I feel tempted to cancel those unpaid orders and buy my stuff somewhere else - the little money I could save there just isn't worth all that unnecessary! extra time and I'm not even mentioning the average shipping delay (zzZ).

Back OT - apologies for the hijack.

I thought everyone uses the mobile app if ordering with a phone or tablet.

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #17,171 of 31,868
I thought everyone uses the mobile app if ordering with a phone or tablet.
Didn't work either. Got another "insufficient funds" message even though that's somewhat far from what my bank says.

Again sorry for the extended hijack, caballeros.
Back OT ...

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #17,172 of 31,868
Well, it sounds like you've given it every chance.

The only 3 conclusions left would likely be:

1. You have a defective unit (which is unlikely if the sound is consistent on both sides). This defect could include burned out or damaged BA drivers, or individual drivers wired out of phase.
2. You just don't like the sound profile of the IEM. Which there's nothing wrong with that. I like what I like and don't like what I don't like too, regardless of anyone else's opinion.
3. This could be caused by your individual ear anatomy, such as fitment issues, insertion depth, ear canal resonance, etc.

I personally don't like shallow insertion IEMs, so I myself am worried because I have not received my C16 yet. Super shallow IEMs are just too inconsistent for me. They almost always just don't get a good enough seal, or the seal works its way loose very easily within a few minutes of listening. Using a longer tip like Spinfits helps with insertion depth, but I just don't like how Spinfits affect the sound. I have not tried the really wide bore Spinfits though; perhaps I should. I currently only own 2 sets of Spinfits (CP100 and an unknown model that has a medium bore and came included with the Rosewill EX500). I only use them when all else fails and it's absolutely necessary.

Some confusion slipped into this conversation, I'm not the one having trouble with them, DynamicEars said he finds them dark sounding. I like them so much I bought a back-up pair with the AE anniversary sale. They are currently my favorite pair out of the ones I own, because of the detail and stereo imaging. But these are some good tips for DynamicEars.

I like deeper insertion as well, but interestingly, despite the weight, they don't work themselves out of my ears, which is a problem I have with most earphones. And they don't sound like they don't seal well. I think you will like them.

Apr 2, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #17,173 of 31,868
There are SO many Tennmak Pro-shape IEMs I don't dare to buy them anymore. It's so confusing. :p
... :)

Sorry I just meant the shape.

I don’t own either, so my comment wasn’t referring to the sound signature. I apologize for any confusion.

Out of the half dozen earphones that I've bought, with a shape similar to the Tennmak Pro - the Tennmak Pro are still the most comfortable, and provide the best seal in my ears, when I'm laying on my side to sleep.
Some of the other earphones may sound a bit more balanced (less Mid-Bass "boom"), and have shells that are about the same thickness, but they don't fit, or seal quite as well.
The fit & seal is a combination of Nozzle angle, diameter, & length, and which tips (I use silicone, rather than foam) end up fitting best.

Apr 2, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #17,174 of 31,868
My review of BQEYZ BQ3 is up on heafi and MY BLOG

I really think this brand deserve more respect for there talented tuning, quite balanced and lively with organic non agressive sound. If timbre was richer it would easily earn a 5 from me at this price. Refreshing!

The first few paragraphs of your review cracked me right up. Thanks for the lighthearted humor.

I agree with your conclusion that the BQ3 has a "smooth, liquid yet detailed sound". Thus far, to my ears the source-sensitive BQ3 has been an absolute revelation on powerFUL sources. I will say that its 2+3 configuration sounds somewhat average on power-efficient sources though I find this to be typical of multi-driver hybrids.

The micro-detail in the first 30 seconds of this track were presented well but my ZS6 presented a little more air and presence.....especially at the 3:45 mark. I prefer the ZS6's lighter approach to the mid-bass presentation. The thinner approach gives the droning bass in the background (@ 1:56 mark) a sort of haunting ethereal presence instead of the BQ3's more direct and smooth presentation. It's all subjective but the differences are definitely worth noting.

Nevertheless, the well-built BQ3, as well as several other BQEYZ models, sit "firmly" near the top on my list of sub-$100 in-ear monitors.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #17,175 of 31,868
The first few paragraphs of your review cracked me right up. Thanks for the lighthearted humor.

I agree with your conclusion that the BQ3 has a "smooth, liquid yet detailed sound". Thus far, to my ears the source-sensitive BQ3 has been an absolute revelation on powerFUL sources. I will say that its 2+3 configuration sounds somewhat average on power-efficient sources though I find this to be typical of multi-driver hybrids.

The micro-detail in the first 30 seconds of this track were presented well but my ZS6 presented a little more air and presence.....especially at the 3:45 mark. I prefer the ZS6's lighter approach to the mid-bass presentation. The thinner approach gives the droning bass in the background (@ 1:56 mark) a sort of haunting ethereal presence instead of the BQ3's more direct and smooth presentation. It's all subjective but the differences are definitely worth noting.

Nevertheless, the well-built BQ3, as well as several other BQEYZ models, sit "firmly" near the top on my list of sub-$100 in-ear monitors.

I’ve been holding off on getting the BQ3, because I’m anticipating BQEYZ coming out with something very soon. Murphy’s law will be as soon as I order the BQ3, they’ll release something even better.

We’ll see. Maybe by 11.11 if they don’t have anything new I’ll go ahead and pick up the BQ3 along with the KB100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back