CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #16,157 of 31,833
Driver, from what I see from the transparent shells, is covered from both front and backside with metal plates

That’s the driver housing itself. It’s all 1 unit.

Like if a car was an IEM driver, the cars engine is like the diaphragm. But the bumper and fenders and all of the sheet metal around the outside of the car are still part of the car’s housing. The metal shell around the driver protects the delicate internals (diaphragm, voice coil, etc) and gives the whole driver structure and rigidity.

Like in these photos of the front and back of a driver:

4FA2E8CB-AFEE-40C4-AFE6-12FCB9180639.png 02BF6BFC-6D45-4269-8105-58997984649F.png

I’m talking about external to that. In other words, to use my car analogy, to run properly, a car needs to suck air from the atmosphere in front of the car. And it expels exhaust out the back of the car.

A driver works the same way. If a speaker driver was a car, it would be sucking air in from the atmosphere, and expelling the “sound” out the exhaust pipe.

Cars need both air in and air out to function/be tuned properly, just like a speaker driver.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #16,158 of 31,833
@weedophile, I don't have C10, are they more V-shaped as compared to AS10?
The C10 are balanced or very mild V-shaped, and more engaging with a wider soundstage than the AS10. I would say the AS10 like u said are also kinda slight V-shaped (close to U), with emphasis in the bass, and slightly brighter than the C10.

Edit: And the C10 sound more natural in the lower regions, probably due to the DD

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #16,161 of 31,833
Okay, I see. So that simply implies C10 is better choice overall, I guess
Not really xD i think they serve different purpose. If i were to describe the AS10, i would say they are like the swiss army knife, where i can use them for almost any occasion. Library, AS10 got ur back, mate. Restaurant, AS10 got ur back, mate. Loud commute, AS10 got ur back, mate. Mom nagging..... Lol

The C10 on the other hand would be more fussy, and require more factors to sound the best. I remb seeing someone wanted recommendations for an in-ear to use when his wife and newborn is sleeping. And the C10 probably wont do the job. But once everything falls in place, the SQ beats the AS10, hands down.

If u ask me if i had known AS10 to be like this before buying, i will buy it again as they are real good and are still the cheapest 5BA drivers around (gimmick but i havent had any pure multi BAs ever)

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #16,163 of 31,833
Is there going to be any Ali Express sale soon? Something like the 11/11 sale?

Anniversary sale will be next. Very end of March.

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #16,167 of 31,833
It is really odd how the AS10 is so relatively dark and warm sounding. I was expecting a brighter, more detailed treble with all those different BA drivers in there. The ZS7 is much more clear sounding, though it has the same BA drivers, with a different shell.

Feb 12, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #16,168 of 31,833
Welp I'm just realizing it's hard to compare the rapidly expanded line of good budget 'phones when my newest is semi-ancient.

I'm waiting for the AS10 to arrive tomorrow so I can see what we are referring to, then I guess I can work from there with a solid reference point.

I'm not used to starting new, my old go to was the Rockit-R50 if anyone remembers it, I loved it like a child until it got caught in a bike chain a few years ago, but by then I had some over ears and didn't use IEM's enough to warrant a purchase. Now, I want something to use as a grad student with a laptop and be backpackable and simple, but I love my RE0's (and their crap tier durability) too much to throw them in the field like that. I had them at a special time where I was purely chasing neutrality, and the HD650 and HE560 changed my preferences slightly. Still love them, but want the option of a little warmer/less fatiguing... :ksc75smile:

This new set will be long listens, hours while working on data and writing. Luckily my laptop has a solid and quiet 3.5mm out, the sabaj I auditioned had more hiss, in every port and every combination.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #16,169 of 31,833
Welp I'm just realizing it's hard to compare the rapidly expanded line of good budget 'phones when my newest is semi-ancient.

I'm waiting for the AS10 to arrive tomorrow so I can see what we are referring to, then I guess I can work from there with a solid reference point.

I'm not used to starting new, my old go to was the Rockit-R50 if anyone remembers it, I loved it like a child until it got caught in a bike chain a few years ago, but by then I had some over ears and didn't use IEM's enough to warrant a purchase. Now, I want something to use as a grad student with a laptop and be backpackable and simple, but I love my RE0's (and their **** tier durability) too much to throw them in the field like that. I had them at a special time where I was purely chasing neutrality, and the HD650 and HE560 changed my preferences slightly. Still love them, but want the option of a little warmer/less fatiguing... :ksc75smile:

This new set will be long listens, hours while working on data and writing. Luckily my laptop has a solid and quiet 3.5mm out, the sabaj I auditioned had more hiss, in every port and every combination.
CCA C10...smooth, warm and non fatiguing

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #16,170 of 31,833

Users who are viewing this thread

Back