CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 17, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #13,696 of 31,833
Update on the T2. Seems even the slightest burn in improved them. Some very harsh sibilance I heard at first is gone already. I mean, I played some Amon Amarth at first and everything was like "SSSSSS". But that's gone. Phew.

Also, it seems that they do like power, but at first I might have had a bad seal with the foam tips. These things are firm! I may have not pressed them hard enough or I may have not held them in my ear long enough for them to expand properly at first, which may have caused them to sound thin and dry at first, so I retract that statement. But as soon as I got a proper seal, it made me wonder... Who decided that these would become known as bass shy out there? I mean, they aren't bassy like some others (The Senfers I have come to mind, my crappy MEE Audio - both of those are heavily V shaped - and my old and sadly broken Beyerdynamic Byrons), but they are balanced as hell. Bass is just right. Could they use more? Sure. It'd make them more fun. But do they NEED it? No, absolutely not.

Gonna try the vent mod later today or tomorrow out of curiosity and see how that goes.

Having said all that, I remember when I used to like a lot of bass. Like, a metric crapton. The more the merrier. And I remember because it wasn't long ago. Now I'm starting to prefer balance. I do appreciate a good thump around my ears every now and then, but that's it. I'm afraid I might be turning into an audiophile. My god... What is happening to me?!?

Oct 17, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #13,697 of 31,833
I just recieved the xiaomi bluetooth adapter and it works really well. It's definitely feels a bit under powered but it seems to work well for me so far.

I'd also look into the meizu bluetooth adapter. It looks like the xiaomi one but with better specs for a similiar price. It just got released.
What's the difference between the Xiaomi and Meizu receivers?

Oct 17, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #13,698 of 31,833
Update on the T2. Seems even the slightest burn in improved them. Some very harsh sibilance I heard at first is gone already. I mean, I played some Amon Amarth at first and everything was like "SSSSSS". But that's gone. Phew.

Also, it seems that they do like power, but at first I might have had a bad seal with the foam tips. These things are firm! I may have not pressed them hard enough or I may have not held them in my ear long enough for them to expand properly at first, which may have caused them to sound thin and dry at first, so I retract that statement. But as soon as I got a proper seal, it made me wonder... Who decided that these would become known as bass shy out there? I mean, they aren't bassy like some others (The Senfers I have come to mind, my crappy MEE Audio - both of those are heavily V shaped - and my old and sadly broken Beyerdynamic Byrons), but they are balanced as hell. Bass is just right. Could they use more? Sure. It'd make them more fun. But do they NEED it? No, absolutely not.

Gonna try the vent mod later today or tomorrow out of curiosity and see how that goes.

Having said all that, I remember when I used to like a lot of bass. Like, a metric crapton. The more the merrier. And I remember because it wasn't long ago. Now I'm starting to prefer balance. I do appreciate a good thump around my ears every now and then, but that's it. I'm afraid I might be turning into an audiophile. My god... What is happening to me?!?
Pretty soon, you'll be judging everything by their FR graphs and perceived microdetails. GET OUT NOW!!!!!!! :)

Oct 17, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #13,699 of 31,833

I’ve tinkered with the T2 in numerous different ways. And other than burn-in, tip rolling, a cable upgrade, and good amp I cannot get any better gains out of it than how it comes stock. Everything I tried made it sound worse in some way.

Mind you I’m talking about the revised version (v2), not the original version with the blue gunk in the nozzle.

And like you said, with the right tips and a proper/deep seal, they have loads of bass. I think most of the comments about the lack of bass were the original version (with blue gunk) or not a deep enough seal.

I know the T2 Pro are supposed to be improved, but honestly I don’t see how TinAudio could have really improved them.

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #13,700 of 31,833

your ears are just getting older :ksc75smile:. i have the same problem, and as far as my observation goes, some of my older music loving friends and relatives (50 years old and up) , they prefer a lighter bass sound, also they focus on mids and treble details more.

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #13,701 of 31,833

How do you wear it? To get good seal I wear them over the ear but without swiping left with right. Once I get good seal bass get a bit more than my etymotic.

Oct 18, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #13,702 of 31,833
How do you wear it? To get good seal I wear them over the ear but without swiping left with right. Once I get good seal bass get a bit more than my etymotic.

Like you, this is the only way I can get a proper seal with awesome bass as well. It’s both more secure and more comfortable to wear them ‘swapped and up’.

Even though you can do it, the shape of the T2 is just terrible for wearing down. At least in my ears.

Oct 18, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #13,703 of 31,833
Pretty soon, you'll be judging everything by their FR graphs and perceived microdetails. GET OUT NOW!!!!!!! :)
But, but... The texture! And the microdynamics! They're talking to me silverfishla! They're calling me!
I’ve tinkered with the T2 in numerous different ways. And other than burn-in, tip rolling, a cable upgrade, and good amp I cannot get any better gains out of it than how it comes stock. Everything I tried made it sound worse in some way.

Mind you I’m talking about the revised version (v2), not the original version with the blue gunk in the nozzle.

And like you said, with the right tips and a proper/deep seal, they have loads of bass. I think most of the comments about the lack of bass were the original version (with blue gunk) or not a deep enough seal.

I know the T2 Pro are supposed to be improved, but honestly I don’t see how TinAudio could have really improved them.
I guess I have the v2. There is no blue gunk to be seen, just the IEM itself and the foam tip.

Yes, a good seal is of paramount importance with these. From my limited experience, many people don't actually know how to use foam tips. They try to use them like normal silicone tips and just insert them in their ears. And many of those who do crush them before inserting them don't hold them there until they expand.

In the foreseeable future, I'm going to get a pack of InAirs and a nice copper braided cable from NiceHCK, see what these do. Thanks for the input!
your ears are just getting older :ksc75smile:. i have the same problem, and as far as my observation goes, some of my older music loving friends and relatives (50 years old and up) , they prefer a lighter bass sound, also they focus on mids and treble details more.
That's depressing. I'm 24. With that logic, by the time I'm 50 I'm only gonna be listening to flutes and violins. :beyersmile:

(Just kidding, of course)
I wear them like you. I was ready to plug them in inverted, but decided to try them stock. If I were them hanging down, they aren't comfortable at all, the MMCX plug housing pushes against my earlobe and doesn't let the IEM go in fully. Put them over the ear and they are perfectly fine. The cable doesn't irritate my ear when moving, the fit and seal are good and I'm happy. If anything, I would switch them around if I wanted to wear them hanging down.

Oct 18, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #13,704 of 31,833
Like you, this is the only way I can get a proper seal with awesome bass as well. It’s both more secure and more comfortable to wear them ‘swapped and up’.

Even though you can do it, the shape of the T2 is just terrible for wearing down. At least in my ears.

Actually I wear the T2 down with L/R swapped. The secret for me is using Medium Starlines tips. Great confort!
Good bass. I feel nothing is missing, really.

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #13,705 of 31,833
I guess I have the v2. There is no blue gunk to be seen, just the IEM itself and the foam tip.

Yes, if you can see the driver down in the nozzle by holding it under a light, that means you have the v2 (and no blue gunk).

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #13,706 of 31,833
Got a pair of these Timkoo coming in to land later. Lightning deal at just over 6 pounds.
Will share some thoughts then when i collect them later.

Earphone with Microphone and Volume Control Deep Bass Earbud Noise Isolating Headphone Remote Headset for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, iPad, iPod, Android Phones Tablets (silver) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y52D5WM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mSiYBbV1VX98P

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #13,707 of 31,833
Yes, if you can see the driver down in the nozzle by holding it under a light, that means you have the v2 (and no blue gunk).
Yup, that's the case. I can see it. Dunno how, but I can. :p

I'm really happy with these. First IEMs that I feel compeled to compare against headphones. They sound big. I mean, the Senfers are nice, but they are very distinctly IEMs. There's a point source. It sounds small. These, not so much. If I don't pay attention, it sounds more like an on-ear headphone than an IEM. Really love that.

Only thing that bums me (not very much, but it does) is that they don't have an inline mic. I'm so used to having a mic with my IEMs that it's strange now that I don't. I could always get a cable with one, but all the nice cables I think about buying are without a mic, so bummer.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #13,708 of 31,833
Yeah, that was my thought too, I just wanted some other opinions too. Between the ZS4, ZSR and the V80, which one you think has the beefier and deeper bass? I have read that V80 is relatively balanced sounding, and ZS4 is basically a better ZS3, with more detail amd more controlled bass ( but not better). My problem is that I don't neccecarilly want more detail. I mostly want beefier bass. I want a pair for when I am going to gym, or just want to hear Bass heavy music. Now, if a pair with better bass introduce more clarity and detail, that's welcomed too.

Only used the ZS4 for a moment but it was immediately apparent that it was a quality earphone with massive bass, enough for me to go and order one the same night (long wait for it to ship to Canada ensues...). Can't directly compare it to the ZSR and V80 yet as such.

ZSR vs. V80? I like the ZSR more. Sub-bass is more powerful, mid-range is thicker, and treble isn't quite as hot. Both have a v-shaped sig, though the V80 does balance out a bit at higher volumes. ZSR should be more stable than the V80 for gym use given the shape and light weight, though the V80 would be fine too.

On another note, if you're mainly buying for gym use, save yourself some bucks and get these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...43.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.264.SvX0G3

I reviewed them ages ago when they were under the brand YHC. The bass is ridiculous, really comfortable, and cheap as chips.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #13,709 of 31,833
Only used the ZS4 for a moment but it was immediately apparent that it was a quality earphone with massive bass, enough for me to go and order one the same night (long wait for it to ship to Canada ensues...). Can't directly compare it to the ZSR and V80 yet as such.

ZSR vs. V80? I like the ZSR more. Sub-bass is more powerful, mid-range is thicker, and treble isn't quite as hot. Both have a v-shaped sig, though the V80 does balance out a bit at higher volumes. ZSR should be more stable than the V80 for gym use given the shape and light weight, though the V80 would be fine too.

On another note, if you're mainly buying for gym use, save yourself some bucks and get these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...43.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.264.SvX0G3

I reviewed them ages ago when they were under the brand YHC. The bass is ridiculous, really comfortable, and cheap as chips.
Thanks a lot for the comparisson between the ZSR and the V80. Another sign that points towards ZSR. My dilemma now is Memt X5 with the earhooks that another memeber suggested, or the ZSR. I am leaning more to the ZSR, because of the removable cable, and the fact that my experience with KZ is very good so far (ATE, ZS3), also, if I don't like (or get bored of) the shape, I can always take the 3 drivers and put them in a custom shell. As far as your recommendation goes, I am not really looking for a "scrap" (I already have my ATEs) but just something that can be used without problems in a situation like this. It will go to the wishlist though, as a pair to consider in the future, along with the Plextone X41M. Thanks a lot for the help

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #13,710 of 31,833

Ah yes, also sold as the MoreBlue DM8. It is cheap as chips, that’s for sure.

For the same price (or less), the KZ EDR1 is also a great option for the gym. It’s built tougher and sounds better. It is a piston style IEM, so it is meant to be worn down. But it can also be worn up behind the ear just as easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back