CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 28, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #8,296 of 31,867
Smart man. I wish I had that attitude 25 years ago when night club DJing, going to raves, concerts, etc. Now I am paying the price.

What? :ksc75smile:

Like I said, I want to protect what is left of my hearing...

Mar 28, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #8,297 of 31,867
Okay guys help me, I've made the decision to either buy the BGVP DN1 or the FEN-2000 within the AliExpress anniversary sale. I'm looking for a bright sound signature with excellent instrument separation and soundstage. I think I'm gonna go with the DN1 (because of the price), but I'm getting the impression that it's very neutral and not at all bright in the highs. Can anyone confirm or disconfirm that?

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #8,298 of 31,867
What's your budget?

EDR1 vs Zhiyin Z5000 is $4 vs $48.

The Z5000 isn't 10xs better than the EDR1, so why spend 10xs the price?

Or, if you want to look at it another way, the EDR1 is so cheap, just get both. I mean, if you're willing to spend $48 on the Zhiyin Z5000, why not spend $4 more and get both? Especially because once you hit $50, you can use the "$5 off $50" select coupon (essentially giving you the EDR1 for free). But you have to spend over $50 to use that coupon...
He was replaying to me..
I have a budget of 55-60$..

Mar 28, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #8,299 of 31,867
Learning the trade, next step: the ibasso single dynamic driver earphone IT01

After starting this hobby late in 2016, the learning continues. I already had the Sennheiser in-ear Momentum iems, which had mids too far recessed for my taste.

First, there were audiobudget.com and aproar.co.uk. They helped accumulating a basic stock of fine, cheap earphones and to develop a basic taste. This taste has been evolving since....from "fun" to "neutral". But after tens of cheapos, the selection of $5 to $20 iems was somewhat saturated.

Then, KZ released their first "budget premium" earphone in the KZ ZS5. This raised my price bar above $20.

Next, I discovered head-fi and some interesting blogs. My favourite reviewers have been B9Scrambler, HifiChris, and headflux.de.
Reasoning: their reviews are not only very competent but also well structured; they strictly separate between observation and interpretation. And they are very consistent between reviews. This worked well for me making the right choices or confirming my own impressions...which resulted in further learning.

Then, amicable quibbling with Coil and private discussion with HifiChris schooled my technical understanding of impedance, frequency response etc. I also learnt about the idea of a neutral sound from Chris, spearheaded by the relatively cheap Fostex TE-02, a love at second sight and a great mid-level benchmark...took 1/2 year to appreciate them fully. A true classic but discontinued.

And in between, there was Slater teaching us his mods. He sticks to the cheapos/mid-price and makes them sound like premium.

With the higher-priced earphones, I started to understand the variations of the "more expensive sound".

Rule of thumb 1: expensive = better vocals.
Rule of thumb 2: expensive means a more neutral tuning (this is not always the case; example: Sennheiser ie800 and some Campfires)

Expensive "benchmark" earphones can also be of great help for better evaluating the cheapos.

Next came a new generation of BA drivers in the single BA Brainwavz B100: a new fluid, homogeneous and coherent sound for me. Compared to a single dynamic driver, this BA driver gives you more of a room feel. Price of the B100 is more than fair.

I then invested in the premium UE900S at massdrop with four BA drivers. This opened a whole new world in terms of resolution...here it finally was, the "expensive sound". I was told that, in order to top this substantially, you will have to spend 1000 to 200 Eur. A great benchmark earphone at a ridiculous price.

And the latest experience is the basso IT01, which arrived yesterday. A single dynamic driver earphone with a sound reminiscent of the much more expensive Sennheiser ie800, but allegedly slightly better in terms of bass and resolution. I can only say 'wow" to yet another great learning experience. The ibassos are less detailed than the UE900S but they have a very distinct "fun" signature...addictive and irresistible. They are first and foremost premium ear candy. If they were a wine, the reviewer would call it "easy to drink".

What does all that premium, stuff mean for my cheapos? I still love my KZ EDRs, HDS, ZSR...to name just a few. You can't always eat caviar but sometimes a plain Hamburger tastes better (Slater, did you tell me that?).

Let's see what the future will bring. I thank everybody who has made this a great journey far.

P.S. Photo does not show my best dap but the old radio I am presently using for break-in.

Cool! Nice impression. Can you tell me how the ZSR and IT01 compare?

Mar 28, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #8,300 of 31,867
You have a textbook example of a single BA armature driver in your ears. A relatively new breed. The B100 can best be described as fluid, coherent, and homogeneous sounding. A very informative review is on headflux.de (use the Google translate browser extension).

I'd say the B100 is a great, very enjoyable earphone at a good price. I also love mine.

They are indeed Very musical. But i think they lack details. Good jazz sampled hip-hop tracks for example lack richness in details. Also, i think they could have more subbass. Maybe they have some technicality that i'm missing. But overrall the guitars and punch, body of vocals is what stand out for me. But that qualities Works better on some musics than Other's. For my personal taste and music library.

Mar 28, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #8,301 of 31,867
I have $22.19 CAD left available to spend... I decided on the Yersen FEN-2000 and bought a KZ MMCX cable with it (+$5 CAD) as I'm pretty sure that somewhere down the line the ZSR will get a discount on George's Gearbest thread/during Gearbest's Flash Salesanyways, and even if it won't I can part with some of my GB points to get 30% off the normal price. Dunno why, but something inside me regrets the decision...

Now, for the neutral IEM I'd like to purchase... anyone got any opinions on the "rhymes with 'BinShoe'" Pro or Nicehck Bro regarding how neutral they sound? Any other IEMs for me to look at within the price range of my remaining funds?
You shouldn’t regret your decision. Good you made it, I think you’re right. You may not have to buy the Nicechk Bro anymore by the way - I think it’s inferior to the FEN2000 in any aspect. Especially when it comes to neutrality, details and sound signature. The Bro sounds somewhat darker.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #8,302 of 31,867
Guys, this is awesome! Just found out the Audio&Video Professional Store on AliExpress also sells the BGVP DS1 v1 in their store, and they currently have it discounted on Ali for 34 euros. All you have to do is ask when you order.

Very curious as to how they sound!

(Sorry for two posts in a row, won't do it again. :wink:)

I asked them some days Ago and they Tell me they didn't have v1. Or they are liying or they received new iem's

@Bartig could you Clarify that ? 35$ for v1 is 20$ less than penon

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #8,303 of 31,867
Cool! Nice impression. Can you tell me how the ZSR and IT01 compare?
They are actually quite similar in their basic signature but the ibasso sound more robust, more forward, and a bit clearer. And the ZSR have some treble peak which some don't like...but it is not that bad. Both have a very solid bass foundation whereas the ibasso's bass is a bit more focused.

Technically both are not the greatest, but they are truly great in terms of fun. Both put a "wow" on my lips when I first plugged them in my ears (the opposite was the case with the ZS5 v1.).

The ibasso is almost a no brainer for someone buying in the $100 class. Even if it was not your taste, it will be after a while.

The ZSR also are respectable earphones, even independent of price (a steal at $25 CAD).

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #8,304 of 31,867
A friendly Slater PSA:

I know we're all excited to take advantage of deals during the Aliexpress anniversary sale (and very soon the 11.11 sale), but keep in mind many deals aren't really deals at all.

I've seen it happen every year now, for both the Anniversary sale and the 11.11 sale. A few weeks before the same, sellers will ratchet up their prices, so they can offer a "big discount" when the sale hits.

It pays to be aware of what the true street price of this gear really is, as well as price comparing (before buying) on other sites like ebay, Amazon, Gearbest, FastTech, DealExtreme, BangGood, DHGate, Wish, etc.

In addition to camelcamelcamel for Amazon, you can use ebay's advanced search function to check prices on previous listings. And for Aliexpress, there's sites/browser plugins like Aliprice and Pricearchive.

Here's a perfect example - the EMI CI-880, which you can buy all day any day from multiple sites for $16-$18 (and even not too long ago for $9.99 on Amazon). Right not, it's the "super deal" sale price of $24.50 (down from the "regular price" of $49.99). That's no deal; that's highway robbery. And this is across the board, not just from this one seller on this one item.

So educate yourself, do a little homework, and use your hard earned cash for the REAL deals.
LoL....that's why I was not active on aliexpress

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #8,305 of 31,867
They are indeed Very musical. But i think they lack details. Good jazz sampled hip-hop tracks for example lack richness in details. Also, i think they could have more subbass. Maybe they have some technicality that i'm missing. But overrall the guitars and punch, body of vocals is what stand out for me. But that qualities Works better on some musics than Other's. For my personal taste and music library.
Surely, they lack detail compared to more expensive earphones but they are doing quite well in their price category. The Brainwavz B200 apparently sound like the B100 but with a better resolution. At more than twice the price.

The sub bass is a question of taste. Theoretically, in terms of accurate music reproduction, they probably don't lack low frequencies.

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #8,306 of 31,867
Ahhh screw it I'm getting the BGVP SGZ-DN1!! But for a good reason though. The Aliexpress seller I'm buying through accepts my select coupons, and tomorrow I will have enough Aliexpress coins to exchange for a $6 select coupon.

$6 off coupon + already discounted price = SUPER bang for your buck!!! :grin::grin:

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #8,307 of 31,867
Okay guys help me, I've made the decision to either buy the BGVP DN1 or the FEN-2000 within the AliExpress anniversary sale. I'm looking for a bright sound signature with excellent instrument separation and soundstage. I think I'm gonna go with the DN1 (because of the price), but I'm getting the impression that it's very neutral and not at all bright in the highs. Can anyone confirm or disconfirm that?

If you want bright and "fun" go for the fen-2000. I have it and I think the sound signature is quite similar to that of the Grado SR series. It's very enjoyable to listen to. Ps. I haven't heard the DN1.
IMG_20180326_211815-01.jpeg

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #8,308 of 31,867
Ahhh screw it I'm getting the BGVP SGZ-DN1!! But for a good reason though. The Aliexpress seller I'm buying through accepts my select coupons, and tomorrow I will have enough Aliexpress coins to exchange for a $6 select coupon.

$6 off coupon + already discounted price = SUPER bang for your buck!!! :grin::grin:
ugh, I didn't know the select coupons had a $65 buy requirement. Was a little disappointed when I found out today

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #8,309 of 31,867
ugh, I didn't know the select coupons had a $65 buy requirement. Was a little disappointed when I found out today

They don't. Sure, if you want the maximum $6, you'll stack (3) $2 Select coupons with a $65 minimum purchase. Otherwise, if your purchase is less, you will still be able to apply a 1 or 2 Select coupons for a total of $2 or $4. And that's on top of any seller coupons, as well as any 10% off coupons you have ($1 off $10, $3 off $30, $5 off $50, and $10 off $100).

I've also strategically planned my purchases today and saved even more. By breaking up a few purchases, I was able to maximize my 10% coupons. For example, I bought about $85 worth of stuff. If I had just made it all in 1 big purchase, I would have only been able to use (1) $5 off $50 coupon (since my total purchases didn't quite reach the $100 mark to get the $10 odd coupon). So instead, I broke them up into a $50-something purchase and a $30-something purchase. In doing so, the subtotal was still the same, but I was able to use both the $5 off $50 coupon AND the $3 off $30 coupon.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #8,310 of 31,867
They don't.

If you want (3) $2 Select coupons to stack up to $6 that is the case. Otherwise, you will be able to apply a 1 or 2 Select coupons for a total of $2 or $4. And that's on top of any seller coupons as well.
For me, the select coupons do not show up unless the cart total is $65

Also, where did you get you get the 10% coupons?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• cfc7
Back