CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 28, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #8,267 of 31,867
Should I get the ZS6 or the Tin Audio T2?
I have like 50-55$
I usually listen to trap,rap and other "bassy" things .
RIght now I'm using the Meizu EP51 and I like them (but the battery is not that great anymore so..)
None of them. If you want bassy, you will be happier with the ZSR (I have all three).

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #8,269 of 31,867
None of them. If you want bassy, you will be happier with the ZSR (I have all three).
I want something with a good (or atleast OK) build cuz I don't really take care of my headphones and I break them all the time ..
That's why I would like something made of "metal" not plastic.

soo..between those two? Or something else (in the 40-55$ price range)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #8,270 of 31,867
Im really getting tempted for ZSR, its at 16 euro currently. + trn v10 cable would be 20 euros...

Dont know what to do...
Do it. The ZSR is a gem.

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #8,271 of 31,867
I have $22.19 CAD left available to spend... I decided on the Yersen FEN-2000 and bought a KZ MMCX cable with it (+$5 CAD) as I'm pretty sure that somewhere down the line the ZSR will get a discount on George's Gearbest thread/during Gearbest's Flash Salesanyways, and even if it won't I can part with some of my GB points to get 30% off the normal price. Dunno why, but something inside me regrets the decision...

Now, for the neutral IEM I'd like to purchase... anyone got any opinions on the "rhymes with 'BinShoe'" Pro or Nicehck Bro regarding how neutral they sound? Any other IEMs for me to look at within the price range of my remaining funds?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #8,272 of 31,867
picked up during the sale the LKER i8, Yersen FEN 2000, and TIN Audio T2 STill want to check out the BGVP DS1 but it wasn't on sale so no rush
I think that will complete my tour of ChiFi offerings
Hard to believe it all started less than a month ago with my discovery of the MonkPlus for my V30 as I was initially targeting over ears like the Beyerdynamic 770 Pros (250), the Monoprice 1st Gen Monolith, ATH 40X, Mass Drop Sennheiser 6XX, and Fostex T50RP.

I can probably put all the ChiFi IEMs I've got since the Monks into the monster case I had to buy for the 770Pros.

So far I think I have a pretty good selection to listen to starting with the KZ ATEs I got a couple years ago

Since then its been the following path:

Future Sonics EM3
MEE Electronics A151P
Koss KSC75
Fiio EX1
1More Triple
Fiio F9

Monk Plus
SoundMagic E80s
Monk Plus IE Kit (Biggie/Smalls)
KZ ATR
KZ ZSE
KZ ZS3
Shozy Hibiki

So far out of the box I prefer the Hibiki's, Monks. ZS3s. and MEE A151Ps
The Monks really blew me away as earphones and not IEMs Reminds me of the KSC75 just way better
They make my V30 come alive

Some have way too much treble or way to boomy bass
I need to burn in them all and give them another try

Funny that the 1more triples did not impress me like they have everyone else

most of my ChiFi choices were based off this website and others, so thanks as you never hear of any of the standard sites give time to "alternative" options other than the name brands

My DAPs still need work but I have the Fiio III gen 1 and 2, the Cowan PlenueD, a Blackberry Playbook, and iPod Classic Gen 5.5, HiDiz AP60
I'm amping with Electric Avenues(HiDiz) , Fiio A5 (iPod) . xDuoo (iPod) and Topping NX1S (PlenueD)
I'm very intereested for your conclusion on which one do you prefer of those you picked up now, not many people have all of them, please do tell us your impressions and which one you prefer once you have them

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #8,275 of 31,867
Learning the trade, next step: the ibasso single dynamic driver earphone IT01

After starting this hobby late in 2016, the learning continues. I already had the Sennheiser in-ear Momentum iems, which had mids too far recessed for my taste.

First, there were audiobudget.com and aproar.co.uk. They helped accumulating a basic stock of fine, cheap earphones and to develop a basic taste. This taste has been evolving since....from "fun" to "neutral". But after tens of cheapos, the selection of $5 to $20 iems was somewhat saturated.

Then, KZ released their first "budget premium" earphone in the KZ ZS5. This raised my price bar above $20.

Next, I discovered head-fi and some interesting blogs. My favourite reviewers have been B9Scrambler, HifiChris, and headflux.de.
Reasoning: their reviews are not only very competent but also well structured; they strictly separate between observation and interpretation. And they are very consistent between reviews. This worked well for me making the right choices or confirming my own impressions...which resulted in further learning.

Then, amicable quibbling with Coil and private discussion with HifiChris schooled my technical understanding of impedance, frequency response etc. I also learnt about the idea of a neutral sound from Chris, spearheaded by the relatively cheap Fostex TE-02, a love at second sight and a great mid-level benchmark...took 1/2 year to appreciate them fully. A true classic but discontinued.

And in between, there was Slater teaching us his mods. He sticks to the cheapos/mid-price and makes them sound like premium.

With the higher-priced earphones, I started to understand the variations of the "more expensive sound".

Rule of thumb 1: expensive = better vocals.
Rule of thumb 2: expensive means a more neutral tuning (this is not always the case; example: Sennheiser ie800 and some Campfires)

Expensive "benchmark" earphones can also be of great help for better evaluating the cheapos.

Next came a new generation of BA drivers in the single BA Brainwavz B100: a new fluid, homogeneous and coherent sound for me. Compared to a single dynamic driver, this BA driver gives you more of a room feel. Price of the B100 is more than fair.

I then invested in the premium UE900S at massdrop with four BA drivers. This opened a whole new world in terms of resolution...here it finally was, the "expensive sound". I was told that, in order to top this substantially, you will have to spend 1000 to 2000 Eur. A great benchmark earphone at a ridiculous price.

And the latest experience is the basso IT01, which arrived yesterday. A single dynamic driver earphone with a sound reminiscent of the much more expensive Sennheiser ie800, but allegedly slightly better in terms of bass and resolution. I can only say 'wow" to yet another great learning experience. The ibassos are less detailed than the UE900S but they have a very distinct "fun" signature...addictive and irresistible. They are first and foremost premium ear candy. If they were a wine, the reviewer would call it "easy to drink".

What does all that premium, stuff mean for my cheapos? I still love my KZ EDRs, HDS, ZSR...to name just a few. You can't always eat caviar but sometimes a plain Hamburger tastes better (Slater, did you tell me that?).

Let's see what the future will bring. I thank everybody who has made this a great journey far.

P.S. Photo does not show my best dap but the old radio I am presently using for break-in.

IMG_6247.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #8,276 of 31,867
One thing constantly mentioned that I don't get - "isolation" and how good/poor is it with a given iEM. So far, I've tried a bunch of earphones, and I could not name one that I'd characterize as having poor isolation.

Being a happy user of the TinAudio T2, just the other day there was some work/repairs being done in the office adjacent to ours. I sit by the wall, and they were drilling on the other side. My earbuds, which I usually use because they do not isolate me completely from my coworkers, were useless of course. So I switched to the T2. With them, and the volume up to perhaps 50% or 60% I was able to almost completely drown out the drilling noise. I could've gone further with the volume, but I chose leave the music at reasonable listening levels.

So if the T2 being able to practically wipe out the noise of a drill essentially inches from my head at 60% of max volume is poor isolation, what is good isolation then? Am I missing something here or what?
For my purposes, good isolation is being able to stand next to an insanely loud metal drummer and being able to listen at a normal (for me, normal means quiet) level. Great IEMs are worth their weight in gold for hearing protection. I want to protect what I have left...

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #8,277 of 31,867
Learning the trade, next step: the ibasso single dynamic driver earphone IT01

After starting this hobby late in 2016, the learning continues. I already had the Sennheiser in-ear Momentum iems, which had mids too far recessed for my taste.

First, there were audiobudget.com and aproar.co.uk. They helped accumulating a basic stock of fine, cheap earphones and to develop a basic taste. This taste has been evolving since....from "fun" to "neutral". But after tens of cheapos, the selection of $5 to $20 iems was somewhat saturated.

Then, KZ released their first "budget premium" earphone in the KZ ZS5. This raised my price bar above $20.

Next, I discovered head-fi and some interesting blogs. My favourite reviewers have been B9Scrambler, HifiChris, and headflux.de.
Reasoning: their reviews are not only very competent but also well structured; they strictly separate between observation and interpretation. And they are very consistent between reviews. This worked well for me making the right choices or confirming my own impressions...which resulted in further learning.

Then, amicable quibbling with Coil and private discussion with HifiChris schooled my technical understanding of impedance, frequency response etc. I also learnt about the idea of a neutral sound from Chris, spearheaded by the relatively cheap Fostex TE-02, a love at second sight and a great mid-level benchmark...took 1/2 year to appreciate them fully. A true classic but discontinued.

With the higher-priced earphones, I started to understand the variations of the "more expensive sound".

Rule of thumb 1: expensive = better vocals.
Rule of thumb 2: expensive means a more neutral tuning (this is not always the case; example: Sennheiser ie800 and some Campfires)

Expensive "benchmark" earphones can also be of great help for better evaluating the cheapos.

Next came a new generation of BA drivers in the single BA Brainwavz B100: a new fluid, homogeneous and coherent sound for me. Compared to a single dynamic driver, this BZ driver gives you more of a room feel. Price of the B100 is more than fair.

I then invested in the premium UE900S at massdrop with four BA drivers. This opened a whole new world in terms of resolution...here it finally was, the "expensive sound". I was told that, in order to top this substantially, you will have to spend 1000 to 200 Eur. A great benchmark earphone at a ridiculous price.

And the latest experience is the basso IT01, which arrived yesterday. A single dynamic driver earphone with a sound reminiscent of the much more expensive Sennheiser ie800, but allegedly slightly better in terms of bass and resolution. I can only say 'wow" to yet another great learning experience. The ibassos are less detailed than the UE900S but they have a very distinct "fun" signature...addictive and irresistible. They are first and foremost premium ear candy. If they were a wine, the reviewer would call it "easy to drink".

What does all that premium, stuff mean for my cheapos? I still love my KZ EDRs, HDS, ZSR...to name just a few. You can't always eat caviar but sometimes a plain Hamburger tastes better (Slater, did you tell me that?).

Let's see what the future will bring. I thank everybody who has made this a great journey far.

P.S. Photo does not show my best dap but the old radio I am presently using for break-in.

Please do a symbio W test on iBasso it01 and surprise yourself more.

Mar 28, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #8,279 of 31,867
You refer to certain wide bore tips, right? I have the Tennmak whirlwind here...will check those. Thanks.

@Otto Motor can you compare the ibasso it01 to your UE900S which is better in soundstage.. does the ibasso it01 give you out of the box experience with the instruments .. are instruments lively and are they are accurate... and can you check with the tennmak whirlwind tips if it gives more bass and subbass .. thanks

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #8,280 of 31,867
This sale is killing me...

Is T2 that better than the likes of FEN-2000, ZSR, etc.? I'm having trouble deciding what to get...One option is Yersen + TRN V20 + some earbuds (Seahf AWK-F150C or TY Hi-Z 150 or HE150). The other is T2 + Yersen/whatever...dunno, for the price of T2s I can get FEN-2000 and V20. I just don't know if T2 is a must get compared to other options...

One other thing: I keep hearing good things about ZSR. I hear good stuff about V20 too. How do they compare?
I already have ZS3 and ATR, I'm not that keen on getting another KZ with that generic KZ memory wire cable...especially since ZSR + a replacemenet cable is literally 2x price of V20 which aready has a solid cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

• cfc7
Back