CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #8,191 of 31,833
You can recommend an MMCX cable (good, nice and cheap) to improve the cable that comes standard on the Zhiyin Z5000.

Thanks

The KZ silver plated MMCX one fits the bill (good, nice, and cheap).

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #8,193 of 31,833
The brainwavz replacement cables can be bought for $22 or so on amazon and is a nicely made cable.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #8,194 of 31,833
@Otto Motor can you link the the comparison between ie800 and ibasso it01 .. where it says its better then ie800
That's from a private conversation with Hifi Chris, who reviewed the basso on headfi and also owns the ie800. iBassso excel slightly in bass and resolution, according to him.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #8,195 of 31,833
Excited to get the Yersen FEN 2000 mostly for its goodies! Filtered tips could come to good use and large bore foams could be interesting...this is a lot for 18eu!!!
CyZbG6B.jpg
I just received my package of these today. I should have waited to purchase them, it'd save me $0.28 (their normal price is 19% off list, sale is 20% off) :smiling_imp:

Seriously though, its surprising just how much 'stuff' you get for the $22 it cost me. Can't comment on the sound. They're going on the burn-in Benjie for 4 days. I do have a question about the 2 different cables. Both are 3.5mm SE? Just one has wire ear guides and the other doesn't? Or is there a difference I'm not aware of?

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #8,196 of 31,833
I’m looking for a pair with warm bass and mids, with a more mellow, rolled off treble. I’m mildly treble sensitive, to the point where I EQ treble down some when I listen to Miles Davis. Super bright treble like that is awesome, but it definitely hurts my ears. I listen mostly to jazz and free jazz. Ideally I’d like some high isolation, as I’ll be using these for my commute, but it’s not a huge deal. Super excited to jump down the chi-fi rabbit hole!

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #8,197 of 31,833
I just received my package of these today. I should have waited to purchase them, it'd save me $0.28 (their normal price is 19% off list, sale is 20% off) :smiling_imp:

Seriously though, its surprising just how much 'stuff' you get for the $22 it cost me. Can't comment on the sound. They're going on the burn-in Benjie for 4 days. I do have a question about the 2 different cables. Both are 3.5mm SE? Just one has wire ear guides and the other doesn't? Or is there a difference I'm not aware of?
One for wearing over ear, one for not, or like me used one for a different pair of iems

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #8,198 of 31,833
The brainwavz replacement cables can be bought for $22 or so on amazon and is a nicely made cable.
Just had to point this out… For the same $22, although you do have to wait on delivery, you can get the Yersen FEN 2000 which will include 2 MMCX cables, 3 pair large bore silicone ear tips, 3 pairs high attenuation silicone ear tips, 3 pair wide bore foam ear tips and a decent carry case of the slightly larger rectangular vs square style. Oh and a set of hybrid DD + BA IEMs. :scream:

Mar 27, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #8,199 of 31,833
I’m looking for a pair with warm bass and mids, with a more mellow, rolled off treble. I’m mildly treble sensitive, to the point where I EQ treble down some when I listen to Miles Davis. Super bright treble like that is awesome, but it definitely hurts my ears. I listen mostly to jazz and free jazz. Ideally I’d like some high isolation, as I’ll be using these for my commute, but it’s not a huge deal. Super excited to jump down the chi-fi rabbit hole!
If you haven't heard what a BA versus DD driver sounds like see if you can get a listen to the Brainwavz B150. From what you're describing I think you may like how they sound. Their B100 model is also a single full range BA but supposedly tuned more for popular sound, the V is deeper and wider. Whereas to me the B150, excluding a weak sub bass is just slightly U shaped. I enjoy how they sound but there is a different feel to the sound because of the BA vs DD driver.

Mar 27, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #8,200 of 31,833
Have you tried the KZ ATE? They’re dirt cheap and offer perfectly what you want. Plus you get an impressive soundstage as well. Very good set to start with, I can tell from experience.

Mar 27, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #8,201 of 31,833

KZ ATE or ATR would pair great with jazz, due to their natural tone, warm sound, and good soundstage. Treble on both of those is right on target with what you described you're looking for.

You won't believe the price you paid once you hear them!

Both models use the same drivers now, so get whatever one is cheaper. However, no matter which you get please don't use the stock hard foam tips they come with, as they're horrible beyond words. Tip roll and you'll definitely find a better tip than the stock turds - Comply style foam, Auvios, wide bore turbo/whirlwinds, SpinFits, double flange, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #8,203 of 31,833
Which IEMs will you be getting in the Ali sale?

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #8,204 of 31,833
Hey all,

Looking at getting some Tin Audio T2's in the sale tomorrow, and was wondering what are good eartips that go well with them?

Saw a big discussion, linked earlier in this thread I think, about the Tennmak Turbo/Whirlwind tips being excellent. Would they be a good option to pair with the T2's? Or are the one's supplied with the T2 good enough?

As a quick second note, there's a fair few sellers of the T2's on Aliexpress. Would anyone be able to recommend/link me to the best one to buy from tomorrow?

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back