CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 27, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #2,026 of 31,834

Sorry, I should have said - I'm in the UK. 

Does the compact package version come with fewer tips?

It does, I think some sellers on Ali throw in extra tips though. I know I do.

There's a guy on eBay selling a full package green pair 'unopened' for £25. He bought two from me so I assume it's one of mine he's selling. That includes postage.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #2,027 of 31,834

You don't say where you are, so I'll assume USA. If you need 'em quick, as it's New Year in China, then cheapest from amazon.com is $35 Foxpic.

Ali is a good source but you'll probably get the compact package version

That's a shame.  The green one was going for a bit less, I think around $20 for a while.  I should have picked them up, but been enjoying the ZST too much.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #2,029 of 31,834
I need to get enough items on taobao to justify putting together an order. Some things I was planning to buy there are no longer carried, others have shown up cheaper on Aliexpress, so I've been putting an order off for now.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #2,030 of 31,834
Thanks, can you recommend a seller? There seems to be a lot of fakes about 

That's the one I bought but it seems it ships to the UK only: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201737183566?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #2,031 of 31,834
Which sub 100$ phone would you say most resemble the sound quality of something like AKG K545? I know apples and oranges. I'm most likely not going to find something that matches the sound stage or clarity but I'm aiming in that direction.

I'm looking for a set that has great clarity and separation, good all around balanced sound, I don't need huge bass but I would like it to be there. I listen to alt/indie/art rock, classical. I get the most enjoyment out of hearing accurate high detail.

I have a set of ZS3s which I enjoy, the bass is nice and they have great isolation but I'm missing some of the detail and separation that I get out of my AKGs. I get 8$ vs $200 but I'm willing to spend up to $100 to get as close as I can, if I can stay around $50, even better. 

I have some Xiaomi 5th gen Hybrids on order but am looking for a couple more sets to test. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2,032 of 31,834
  Which sub 100$ phone would you say most resemble the sound quality of something like AKG K545? I know apples and oranges. I'm most likely not going to find something that matches the sound stage or clarity but I'm aiming in that direction.

I have some Xiaomi 5th gen Hybrids on order but am looking for a couple more sets to test. 

I'm not an expert and the +$50 mark but if the K545 are similar to the K550 I would suggest the Einsear T2 or Ty Hi-Z G3 from the ones I know about.

Personally I would avoid most hybrids as they seem a bit closed in even though they have clarity. I think @1clearhead said the Uiisii H-905 were good at imaging and he was also v.positive about the Memt X5.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #2,033 of 31,834

I'm looking for a set that has great clarity and separation, good all around balanced sound, I don't need huge bass but I would like it to be there. I listen to alt/indie/art rock, classical. I get the most enjoyment out of hearing accurate high detail.

I have a set of ZS3s which I enjoy, the bass is nice and they have great isolation but I'm missing some of the detail and separation that I get out of my AKGs. I get 8$ vs $200 but I'm willing to spend up to $100 to get as close as I can, if I can stay around $50, even better. 

I don't know how the K545 sounds but Quadbeat 3 AKG version and Vivo XE800 (GR07 family) are both very much worth getting for only around £12 each on aliexpress. I am sure there are many other options but those two are sure very good "bang for the buck" for the kind of sound you're presumably looking for.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #2,034 of 31,834

I'm not an expert and the +$50 mark but if the K545 are similar to the K550 I would suggest the Einsear T2 or Ty Hi-Z G3 from the ones I know about.

Personally I would avoid most hybrids as they seem a bit closed in even though they have clarity. I think @1clearhead said the Uiisii H-905 were good at imaging and he was also v.positive about the Memt X5.

Thanks, I was leaning towards those based on the index scores on your site. Great resource. Mostly the Einsear, seems like the G3's don't have much for bass or mid. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #2,035 of 31,834
I don't know how the K545 sounds but Quadbeat 3 AKG version and Vivo XE800 (GR07 family) are both very much worth getting for only around £12 each on aliexpress. I am sure there are many other options but those two are sure very good "bang for the buck" for the kind of sound you're presumably looking for.

Great, thanks. Both cheap enough to test out without regret. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #2,036 of 31,834

Thanks, I was leaning towards those based on the index scores on your site. Great resource. Mostly the Einsear, seems like the G3's don't have much for bass or mid. 

Thanks, the site is still very much a work in progress, I may revisit scores overtime as I reference earphones back to back.

Quote:

I would say the XE800 is too mid forward to be considered a match for the AKG K545 (assuming it's similar to K550), but they are v.good earphones if that's your bag.

They are prone to copies though. 'Beteran HIFI Audio Store' is a tried and tested source of the Vivo

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #2,037 of 31,834

I would say the XE800 is too mid forward to be considered a match for the AKG K545 (assuming it's similar to K550), but they are v.good earphones if that's your bag.

They are prone to copies though. 'Beteran HIFI Audio Store' is a tried and tested source of the Vivo

Yeah, K545 are almost identical to the K550, a bit more bass, maybe a hair less soundstage but otherwise identical. I use them with bigger pads so they end up sounding almost exactly like the K550 with bass. I bet the K550 and Ty Hi-Z G3 are very similar. You've mentioned that you drive them with a portable DAC, how do they perform right out of a phone? I have an S7 edge. I carry a Fiio to drive my AKGs but when using IEM's I prefer to go light.  I might snag a pair off your ebay store here shortly.

Thanks again.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #2,038 of 31,834

Yeah, K545 are almost identical to the K550, a bit more bass, maybe a hair less soundstage but otherwise identical. I use them with bigger pads so they end up sounding almost exactly like the K550 with bass. I bet the K550 and Ty Hi-Z G3 are very similar. You've mentioned that you drive them with a portable DAC, how do they perform right out of a phone? I have an S7 edge. I carry a Fiio to drive my AKGs but when using IEM's I prefer to go light.  I might snag a pair off your ebay store here shortly.

Thanks again.

They are probably one of the easiest to drive, I have to use the Aegis with my Xiaomi Max as the sound isn't very good. About 60% - 70% with my iPhone on it's own seems to be the perfect volume for me (I value my ears). There was a noticeable volume drop when I switched to my Denon AH-D340s.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #2,039 of 31,834

Thanks, can you recommend a seller? There seems to be a lot of fakes about 

Thanks for the suggestions!  Is it best to pick up the Urbanfun's from Aliexpress?

I've got mine from Aliexpress, I think they are the cheapest over there.

Only $17 dollars, I bought them here: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/JuvJMRF
They were for me delivered in only 2 weeks (holland)

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #2,040 of 31,834

+1 
beerchug.gif
  ....both are very promising!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back