CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 24, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #421 of 31,833
Skip the 03A and go TK Maple. I've heard both. Just my recommendation

@crabdog, my rec is not good enough for you?
biggrin.gif
I kid. Seriously though, I love em. Gotta do a bit more testing but when they are out of my E12 they have a crap ton more bass, sometimes overshadowing the mids. Out of my X3-ii directly though, and my D14 they are a lot more balanced.

It is Lurk and I would have bought them already except that I got the z2016 which is above my usual spending range so have had to lock down the wallet since then. On top of that I plan to get my first portable amp soon so at the moment I'm just holding on to my iem wishlist. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #422 of 31,833
It is Lurk and I would have bought them already except that I got the z2016 which is above my usual spending range so have had to lock down the wallet since then. On top of that I plan to get my first portable amp soon so at the moment I'm just holding on to my iem wishlist. :beerchug:

What amp are you looking at? Have been considering selling the E12 for the E12a since it's better for IEMs and the bass doesn't protrude the mids

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #424 of 31,833
Skip the 03A and go TK Maple. I've heard both. Just my recommendation

crabdog, my rec is not good enough for you? :D I kid. Seriously though, I love em. Gotta do a bit more testing but when they are out of my E12 they have a crap ton more bass, sometimes overshadowing the mids. Out of my X3-ii directly though, and my D14 they are a lot more balanced.

Speaking of the maples, I found 2 more wood options for that MusicMaker. Has anyone here tried them? I'll drop the link: intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=0.0.0.0&id=43511193005

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #425 of 31,833
So this morning two new types of earphones arrived, both are simply excellent.

Hisoundaudio Flamenco - 7mm micro driver wood earphone. Just so much fun, plenty of bass, clarity and foot tapability.
TY Hi-Z Earbuds - Wow, similar to the VE Monks+ in soundstage but warmer, less harsh treble and more bass. I prefer these to the Monks. Comparing these to the monks these don't have the dampening material on the driver back.

Unfortunately I could only get hold of a couple of pairs of the Flamencos, and even then I had to register a new Aliexpress account. I've already reordered some more of the TY Hi's as I think these will sell very well.

Jun 25, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #426 of 31,833
  It is Lurk and I would have bought them already except that I got the z2016 which is above my usual spending range so have had to lock down the wallet since then. On top of that I plan to get my first portable amp soon so at the moment I'm just holding on to my iem wishlist. 
beerchug.gif

Any impressions on the Z2016?

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #428 of 31,833
I started to test my cheap IEM-s from china, kz ed9 was the first, I did really liked it. 4/5 overall rating, good soundstage, changeable acoustic filters, TONS of bass, metal housing for 9$ looked like a bestbuy to me. It still does.

more at my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/kz-ed9-tunning-nozzles-in-ear-headphones/reviews/16330

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #430 of 31,833
Gearbest is having a flash sale on a lot of under $30 sets. Brought the Meizu EP-51 to $25, Superlux Evos to $27, and they have some KZ too.

Should request to add some favorites like the maples, monks, etc. Even better that it's sponsored.

Yeah if GB or Penon got stuff from MusicMaker and other brands like AE then I would be more inclined to buy from them

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #431 of 31,833
Today I got some new stuff: -

Tennmak Pro - not to sell but to decide if they're worth getting in for the website. I'm not sure about them at the moment seem a bit dark for my taste and surprisingly based on other people's comments they have powerful bass. I'm using foams so that might be why there's more bass. They have the new soft case but no swirl tips which is a bit of a disappointment.

Mannhas C190 and E170 both to sell on as I already have these in my collection - the reason I mention them is that again the C190s aren't perfect. I know they sound fantastic but the back cover doesn't sit perfectly. The C190s are amongst my favourite single driver earphones and they deserve a wider audience. 

Boarseman K25 - if you've seen the red Monks on Massdrop these look identical as far as the bud is conerned. They have a right angle jack but no chin slider. The sound is every bit as good as the Monk+ and Ty Hi-Z, maybe slightly smoother than the other two. Good bass and big soundstage, not quite as expansive as the Monks from memory.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #432 of 31,833
  Today I got some new stuff: -

Tennmak Pro - not to sell but to decide if they're worth getting in for the website. I'm not sure about them at the moment seem a bit dark for my taste and surprisingly based on other people's comments they have powerful bass. I'm using foams so that might be why there's more bass. They have the new soft case but no swirl tips which is a bit of a disappointment.

Mannhas C190 and E170 both to sell on as I already have these in my collection - the reason I mention them is that again the C190s aren't perfect. I know they sound fantastic but the back cover doesn't sit perfectly. The C190s are amongst my favourite single driver earphones and they deserve a wider audience. 

Boarseman K25 - if you've seen the red Monks on Massdrop these look identical as far as the bud is conerned. They have a right angle jack but no chin slider. The sound is every bit as good as the Monk+ and Ty Hi-Z, maybe slightly smoother than the other two. Good bass and big soundstage, not quite as expansive as the Monks from memory.

the foams make a huge difference on the pros--with regular auvio-type tips the bass is much more subdued, almost flat. they're also very sensitive to source--they seem to open up and become more neutral and less dark with more power.

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #433 of 31,833
My KZ-ZS3 has arrived. First thing that immediately occurred to me is when connecting the cable, give it a solid push. I mean, really get in there. Initially I pushed it to where it felt secure, the amount of pressure I'd use attaching my 2 pin cable to my Mojito, but audio kept cutting out any time the 3.5mm jack rotated due to movement. Also, it's a fairly microphonic cable, even considering the over-ear configuration. Comfort-wise, I always hope an IEM will disappear so I don't even feel like I"m wearing something, and with the shell of the IEM that's true, but the nozzle & tips retain a feeling of pressure on the canals, and I'm using the smallest included tip. Most of my tips that I'd normally try out are either too big or too little, so I'm just going to keep stock tips on for now. I do not see these being comfortable enough for me for a several hour listening session.

Keep in mind all that's to come is with zero burn in as I just got these in the mail before I headed off to work for the night, so this is that fresh out of the box sound. Sound-wise, there are here for bass. I remember for awhile, JVC was the route to go for a $20 bassy IEM, but I think I like this sound more... although my JVC has been in a box for awhile and we all know how good memory holds up for sound. It reminds me of the Sony XB500, but with better mids. As far as those mids are concerned, the vocals aren't bad, but they can and will be overshadowed by bass if it's present. Detail-wise, I'm not impressed... it might be roughly middle of the road, but I"m unsure. It's a fun IEM, but it's by no means analytical. For orchestrated music some instruments seem to get lost in the background. The treble sounds fine so far, and I haven't heard anything piercing so far. I'm by no means treble sensitive, so gear that some have gotten rid of due to high treble I haven't been bothered by. All in all, so far I'm liking them more than the KZ-ATE and ER2, and I never gave my ED9 a listen as I bought it purely to steal filters for the earphone that can share them. I should remedy that soon.

As far as the recall goes, I'm not noticing anything wrong with it so far, but again these are fresh out of the box so who's to say what will go wrong in the next week, month or not at all.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #434 of 31,833
anyone got any good recommendations for earphone with mic and good isolation

sometimes i have to turn it really high on public transport

for sound signature it would be great if the earphones are mid-centric.... but i'm open to anything since i listen to human voice mostly on public transport

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #435 of 31,833
anyone got any good recommendations for earphone with mic and good isolation

sometimes i have to turn it really high on public transport

for sound signature it would be great if the earphones are mid-centric.... but i'm open to anything since i listen to human voice mostly on public transport

Brainwavz S5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back